British Speedway Forum

poole should have kept Holder last season. He may have proved to be a top number one at Poole like Doyle and Lindgren were and the management could still have had a good team and pushed for the league.

Holder was pretty dire during 2017 wherever he rode. So having him in the team on a silly average would have accomplished little.

• Like 1

Still doesn't make sense as Poole haven't won for 2 seasons. :wink:

Oh ain't they...I don't normally follow this league..was only showing a bit of interest as maybe ipswich will be back in it. Let's hope it's 3 seasons they don't win it then😉

• Like 1

The main reason for me that Chris was not firing in 2017 was due to his engines.

Think you will find he is not the only senior rider who had problems (especially on John's tuned motors). I think there were numerous World class riders who suffered similar problems although admittedly Chris suffered more that a lot of them.

For me Chris deserves this year to hopefully prove the doubters wrong. I could be wrong and hope my faith in his ability is rewarded. The Darcy situation and his personal split from Sealy are behind him now. He has to knuckle down on his riding to show us all he is the rider who won the SGP a few years ago.

I too had views similar to yours about Holder last year. With the exception of Doyle, I thought Holder was the best substitute we could have got to replace Neils. But how disappointing he turned out. His performances were lack lustred and mostly unimportant. Very rarely did he show his real form. On those occasions he did, proved to me his machinery was as good as the others. Looking and seeing him ride at Lynn was very 'matter of fact' showing little fight or determination. Someone, who only years earlier had been World Champion, really went down in my estimation. It was as if he wasn't bothered...

Looking at him ride in the SGP's very seldom did he shine bright like he once did.. Your post puts the blame firmly on his bad machinery, but I didn't see it as cold and calculated as that. Probably the setup was wrong, probably Holder wasn't dialled in as he should be, but to blame just the bikes to me is definitely wrong.

I hope he does better in 2018 but he needs to have a long hard look at himself and realise its all down to him now.......

• Like 1

So we have a new badge it is getting revealed in a couple of hours.

probably a picture of Matt !!!
  • Like 1

I would be happy to see Chris Holder back next season, especially on that low average. We can only speculate what sort of season he would have had for us if he hadn't gone to Kings Lynn, which he said from the start was one of his least favourite tracks.

Holder was pretty dire during 2017 wherever he rode. So having him in the team on a silly average would have accomplished little.

Apart from he knows Poole inside out, needed to be riding down there for other reasons and Matt could've done just what Swindon did.... and he's a club legend!

So a 're-brand' for the Pirates to celebrate their 70th Anniversary year. New badge, new sponsors, new merchandise, new pop-up retail shop in the main shopping centre (from 25/11/17).

Anniversary meeting on 23rd March involving Tony Rickardsson and Mark Loram. Gala Dinner planned for 14th March - more details to follow.

I wonder what else will be new??!

• Like 1

So a 're-brand' for the Pirates to celebrate their 70th Anniversary year. New badge, new sponsors, new merchandise, new pop-up retail shop in the main shopping centre (from 25/11/17).

Anniversary meeting on 23rd March involving Tony Rickardsson and Mark Loram. Gala Dinner planned for 14th March - more details to follow.

No.1 hopefully. Hancock is still my guess.

So a 're-brand' for the Pirates to celebrate their 70th Anniversary year. New badge .........!

Presumably, a skull with a robin sat on top? :)

• Like 3

That should get the crowds flooding back

Of course it will, as we all know how successful the GB UK Speedway re-branding was in 2017. The crowds just - ebbed away as they have done for the last five years or so.

new flats being built in the car park

• Like 1

Poole racing at Oxford or doing a track share with Swindon in their multi million pence, brand new stadium.

Starman has been very quiet recently, is he busy learning to drive a coach to get the fans from Poole to the new track.

• Like 1

http://www.poolepirates.co/files/PiratesLogo2018_poolespeedwaylores.jpg

Have to be honest. Not very impressed at all. Looks like last years logo pasted inside a back background sheild with a scoll through the font list to find one that looks rustic. Fifteen minutes and job done. Might have been designed by some bloke with training and designed Manchester Citys logo but doesn't make me think, wow thats cool. And whats with the black?

Think Matt would have done better by asking Poole fans come up with a design.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 3