British Speedway Forum

Reassessing GP riders and the over eight rule? Can't remember those rules last year.....

• Like 1

Reassessing GP riders and the over eight rule? Can't remember those rules last year.....

I am not talking about those rules. I am talking about riders who are not gp riders coming in on averages they got in the EL in the past.

I agree that one over 8 rule is not good. Gp riders on a 9 is fair.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

But no rule has changed. Riders with old averages are available to all teams, like they have been for years. Nothing has changed!

Steve

I'm a but confused on this one.

General feeling is riders in this seasons SGP have been reassessed at 9. That's fairly clear but then it gets a bit confusing for me.

You and some others say that riders can ride at their old av if not a current GP rider. However what about Piotr Pawlicki ??. He is not a GP rider this season and last rode 2014 and achieved 7 plus for Wolves. If we apply the logic he is not in this seasons GP then he should get his old av ??

I question it as Matt Ford allegedly said in an interview in the Echo in the last week that he was considering Pawlicki but had to drop the interest because he believe he will be reassessed being an EX GP rider who had not ridden here since 2014 and would be reassessed at 8 or more meaning he cldnt sign him with Brady announced.

It kind of contradicts a bit what some are saying about non GP riders having their old av. Yes he is a very good rider but he is not in this years GP so should he not be one of those who keep his old av ??

Good post.

I know its Christmas soon but you have to be a bit more realistic.

55 at least :D

:rofl:

Steve

I'm a but confused on this one.

General feeling is riders in this seasons SGP have been reassessed at 9. That's fairly clear but then it gets a bit confusing for me.

You and some others say that riders can ride at their old av if not a current GP rider. However what about Piotr Pawlicki ??. He is not a GP rider this season and last rode 2014 and achieved 7 plus for Wolves. If we apply the logic he is not in this seasons GP then he should get his old av ??

I question it as Matt Ford allegedly said in an interview in the Echo in the last week that he was considering Pawlicki but had to drop the interest because he believe he will be reassessed being an EX GP rider who had not ridden here since 2014 and would be reassessed at 8 or more meaning he cldnt sign him with Brady announced.

It kind of contradicts a bit what some are saying about non GP riders having their old av. Yes he is a very good rider but he is not in this years GP so should he not be one of those who keep his old av ??

I meant not in 2018 GP.

Indeed, the reason people are unhappy with non GP riders coming in on averages they attained in the past is because of the two new rules which vastly reduces the options for those clubs who don't sign these bargains / ringers.

How is that good for the league as a whole? Do them all or, preferably, reasses nobody and get rid of the eight point rule. Let the points limit do it's job without these other factors skewing team strengths.

I am not talking about those rules. I am talking about riders who are not gp riders coming in on averages they got in the EL in the past.

I agree that one over 8 rule is not good. Gp riders on a 9 is fair.

I agree its fair to reassess GP riders.

But if I or anyone holds that view then Im surprised that unlike me certain others dont see that to be fair and consistent then ALL have to be reassessed and not just the GP riders.

• Like 3

Gp riders on a 9 is fair.

Why is that fair but reassessing riders who have been away for a year or two and dramatically improved during that time not be fair?

• Like 1

Please show me the link to the rule that all riders without a 2017 average are to be given new averages. It is already in the public domain that gp riders have been given a 9 point average. So clearly at the same time it would have been announced by the bspa that not just gp riders but all riders without a 2017 average would be re-assessed. But no. Only GP riders are mentioned.

Theres a reason for that. Only GP riders are re-assessed. Other riders already have averages which can be used.

I would add that riders new to the league like Liecesters Krystian Pieszczek will be assesed.

Can you provide me the link that confirms non 2017 riders won't be reassessed? There is a reason why team building averages haven't been released yet. There is no link to 2018 team building averages for a reason.

You may be right, but you don't have a link that confirms those averages.

Why is that fair but reassessing riders who have been away for a year or two and dramatically improved during that time not be fair?

Because someone has their blue tints on.

You can be sure Shov would be disagreeing if any other club was signing Milik or Lebedevs on their old average.

Edited by stevebrum

If a rider has an average and is not a gp rider, then he will have an average. No need to re-assess. Its never happened before so why now?

I am in agreement that the one over 8 rule is rubbish but several teams were not going to race unless it was brought in.

GP riders on a 9 seems fair.

Piotr Pawlicki has an average and is not a gp rider, so should come in on his previous EL average. Unless the bspa have made the gp rule for all existing and previous GP riders.

If a rider has an average and is not a gp rider, then he will have an average. No need to re-assess. Its never happened before so why now?

I am in agreement that the one over 8 rule is rubbish but several teams were not going to race unless it was brought in.

Piotr Pawlicki has an average and is not a gp rider, so should come in on his previous EL average. Unless the bspa have made the gp rule for all existing and previous GP riders.

It sounds like from Matt/ Bspa/ CVS comments that any 2017 and 18 GP rider will be brought in on a 9 average.

But for example I don't think Micheal Jepsen Jensen would come in on 9 average, he would come in on something around 7ish.

Can you provide me the link that confirms non 2017 riders won't be reassessed? There is a reason why team building averages haven't been released yet. There is no link to 2018 team building averages for a reason.

You may be right, but you don't have a link that confirms those averages.

Because someone has their blue tints on.

You can be sure Shov would be disagreeing if any other club was signing Milik or Lebedevs on their old average.

Thats just not true. Other clubs are bound to sign riders who have ridden here in the past and will be brought in on their last EL average. This has always been the case with the sport and how it works. Not sure why you are campaigning for a rule change which is unnecessary. It will just lead to sterile teams. Edited by Steve Shovlar

It's never happened before that GP riders missing a year out get reassessed. Getting it yet?

It should be a straight forward rule but it isn't.

Just WHO qualifies as a GP rider? 2018?? 2017?? Before??

As per usual the rules are ambiguous. Certainly the impression I got from CVS was that all riders missing this year would be reassessed.

If you were there you may have or have not come to same conclusion. He mentioned the averages for team building were yet to be agreed due to returning riders for 2018.

Thats just not true. Other clubs are bound to sign riders who have ridden here in the past and will be brought in on their last EL average. This has always been the case with the sport and how it works. Not sure why you are campaigning for a rule change which is unnecessary. It will just lead to sterile teams.

You clearly don't get it, your Poole blindness is masking the bigger picture.

If you are going to reassess some riders then reassess them all or none at all!!

Everyone wants a fair and transparent rule which the way you suggest isn't.

I couldn't care less who it affects or doesn't affect. The BSPA have made a rule that penalises some riders and clubs and not others.

So of course it isn't a fair rule, which is evident to everyone.

• Like 1

It sounds like from Matt/ Bspa/ CVS comments that any 2017 and 18 GP rider will be brought in on a 9 average.

But for example I don't think Micheal Jepsen Jensen would come in on 9 average, he would come in on something around 7ish.

So Kildemand would be available on 7.10, his last UK average, as he wasn't a full GP rider in 2017 and isn't in for 2018?

I understand people discussing if the rules are right or wrong.

What I do not understand is why people think that the owners of the clubs who are building teams do not know the rules.

They would not sign riders who could not ride as this would be business madness.

True it would be better if the BSPA came out with a statement that totally clarifies the matter for the fans.

If they did that there would still be a great deal of arguments but the rules would be clear to all.

Someone said that some clubs could afford riders and some could not so it must be played to the lowest denomininator.

Sorry but this does not rub as in sport as well as other businesses the stronger financially can build their business bettter than those on a shoe string.

In sport Man Ciy play in the same league as AFC Bournemouth but financially they ar poles apart. The same goes in Rugby with Exeter Chiefs and Worcester Warriors. That's life.

• Like 1