British Speedway Forum

14 minutes ago, Agrotron said:

Disagree, it would be popular for a few months and would be dead it would not be sustainable at all.

It would have to be a cafe / coffee shop showing speedway videos on big screens with merch section. Opportunities abound.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Because it gives you a presence in the town. I am sure most towns have shops for the local sports clubs. Speedway is Poole's primary sport so why not have a permanent shop, I'm sure Peterborough has a shop for it's primary sport.

The football team has a shop at the stadium, but not in town as far as I am aware. Could be wrong, as I try to stay away from shopping centres as much as possible lol.

4 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

It would have to be a cafe / coffee shop showing speedway videos on big screens with merch section. Opportunities abound.

Possible Steve, but would still be expensive, as you would need somebody to serve the speedway customers. Be better to have advertising in the shop to tempt people to buy it off the internet in my opinion.

39 minutes ago, Agrotron said:

Disagree, it would be popular for a few months and would be dead it would not be sustainable at all.

i must admit when steve mention it yesterday i thought it was a good ides . but since then i dont think it would be viable operation great for a month before christmas then in the season you got the track shop

Edited by ray c

38 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Because it gives you a presence in the town. I am sure most towns have shops for the local sports clubs. Speedway is Poole's primary sport so why not have a permanent shop, I'm sure Peterborough has a shop for it's primary sport.

Southampton football club have a small shop in West Quay. Well they did the last time i was there! 

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Southampton football club have a small shop in West Quay. Well they did the last time i was there! 

They can afford it having just taken 75million from Liverpool :D

• Haha 1

For a shop to work...it would probably need each and every poole fan to spend a grand each just to pay the rent...its just not viable. 

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

It’s still there, was down there just before Christmas on the 19th December.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, blupanther said:

They can afford it having just taken 75million from Liverpool :D

So the £50 for Holder will not cover the rent for long  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ray c said:

i must admit when steve mention it yesterday i thought it was a good ides . but since then i dont think it would be viable operation great for a month before christmas then in the season you got the track shop

You have tens of thousands of holiday makers in Poole walking about that have never heard of the pirates. Sitting in a high st cafe watching footage of a meeting on a loop, with the cafe selling tickets for that weeks meeting makes it very enticing.  A nice coffee and cake, some speedway merch and tickets for a meeting has more chance than a family turning up blind at the stadium on race night and buying merch from a metal container on the 4th bend.

• Like 3

Disagree about a permanent shop. Much better to have a consistent proactive and interactive website with substantial social media activity which can also be advertised via more traditional methods around the town and wider catchment areas.

Improved brand awareness is one thing but has to be supported by consistently good social media activity and up-to-date web news.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

You have tens of thousands of holiday makers in Poole walking about that have never heard of the pirates. Sitting in a high st cafe watching footage of a meeting on a loop, with the cafe selling tickets for that weeks meeting makes it very enticing.  A nice coffee and cake, some speedway merch and tickets for a meeting has more chance than a family turning up blind at the stadium on race night and buying merch from a metal container on the 4th bend.

Not often I agree with Steve, but that's a forward thinking idea.

Also a possibility of sponsorship too. If Poole/Bournemouth is anything like Oxford there seems to be loads of independent coffee roasters looking to upsize their business by getting their beans into more independent cafe' and shops.

If you signed him you could market

Timo (Tea-mo) and

Lahti (no explanation needed)

36 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Stop trying to drag the sport forward and promote it. It just can’t work, a few people on here have said so. Themed cafe/bars? Don’t be silly!

51 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Disagree about a permanent shop. Much better to have a consistent proactive and interactive website with substantial social media activity which can also be advertised via more traditional methods around the town and wider catchment areas.

Improved brand awareness is one thing but has to be supported by consistently good social media activity and up-to-date web news.

This is the right answer. Don't piss around with cafes and hastily thrown together shops. Social media is the only way forward.

38 minutes ago, BurntFaceMan said:

This is the right answer. Don't piss around with cafes and hastily thrown together shops. Social media is the only way forward.

Why not both? Fashionable clothing branded with Pirates would sell. Thousands of holiday makers walk aimlessly around town on any given summer day. Social media won’t bring in these holiday makers. But watching exciting video clips and the chance to buy tickets for that weeks meeting might bring extra people through the gate.

”that’s two decafs, two toasted bagels. 10.40 please. Oh and have you purchased your tickets for this weeks big meeting at the stadium? Its going to be a real thriller.”

• Like 1