Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

No it looks much better than last year.  I don't remember saying last year's team was title winning considering the changes we made amazing we made the play offs, theres a world of difference between the teams 

You and others constantly told us last year teams was massive favourites.. KK was a different rider for Poole etc.. nothing about this Poole team looks better than how last years looked at the beginning and i still think Leicesters team looks better    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

You and others constantly told us last year teams was massive favourites.. KK was a different rider for Poole etc.. nothing about this Poole team looks better than how last years looked at the beginning and i still think Leicesters team looks better    

Yes i did think KK would be good but potentially with or without KK this team is much stronger in nearly every department. That said it may take a few meetings to gel but it going to be exciting. 

Edited by foreverblue
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve0 said:

Of course there is doubt but it is unfair to compare them because they are from different eras and Darcy didnt get a chance to fulfil his potential - so we will never know.

A fairer comparison would be Mauger v Rickardsson. Having watched both, it would make a thread of it’s own>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

You and others constantly told us last year teams was massive favourites.. KK was a different rider for Poole etc.. nothing about this Poole team looks better than how last years looked at the beginning and i still think Leicesters team looks better    

Leicesters team is good, no doubt about it. No injuries and they make the playoffs.  But better? I believe fans on here who don’t follow Polish speedway on tv every Sunday are in for a pleasant, or unpleasant (non Poole fans) surprise.

spanner showed his worth in last years SEC and topped the averages in Polish league one. While Woryna was one of the top riders in the Polish top flight. Once settled I think both wil put a good sized chunk on their starting averages.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

A fairer comparison would be Mauger v Rickardsson. Having watched both, it would make a thread of it’s own>

But you did not see Ivan at his peak did you ?  You see him on the way down but even then he was pretty dam good.,,

Edited by Sidney the robin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw him from 72 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

But you did not see Ivan at his peak did you ?  You see him on the way down but even then he was pretty dam good.,,

As you know Ivan won six one of meetings Tony only won one they change it the following year to gp format 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ivan at his peak was a dominant rider. Saw him in Poole's 69 winning season. CMA 11.45 and nigh on unbeatable. Went to Wembley on the poole coach and saw him win world title. Difficult to compare across eras but he was the best around at that time when Briggs and Fundin were in decline. Darcy was heading for the top and was up there with the best I have seen. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gavan said:

On paper at the start of last season Pooles team looked as good as this years.

We can all judge it didnt work out for whatever reason but if you compare the 2 nothing in it.

KURTZ, JOSH G, HOLDER   V  KK, KURTZ, ANDERSEN......................before a wheel was turned last season you would say they looked similar standard.

SUNDSTROM , WORYNA   V   HOLDER, NEWMAN.............................again before a wheel was turned you would have said not to much between the 2.

MATZ V KLINDT...............pretty obvious to me that Klindt was seen as better than the new pole

No doubt Poole have built a good team one that should make the play offs comfortably.........still there are doubts over the 2 new poles and Holder and Sundstrom.  It only needs 2 of those 4 to under perform and Poole will be making changes.

As i said we heard all this last season about how Poole would steamroller everyone and it went horribly wrong.

Holder this season could easily do a KK. The 2 poles could be worse than Klindt.....nobody knows. Its not wise to get to cocksure before the season starts. Be happy with your 1-7 by all means, i think ours at Ipswich looks fantastic, but those who shout loudest need to prepare for a fall

You are delusional. 

Sundstrom and Woryna vs J. Holder and Newman. Probably as one sided as it gets. Sundstrom and Woryna miles ahead. 

Szczepaniak is better than Klindt

Grajczonek and Noddy vs KK and Andersen. 50/50

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

But you did not see Ivan at his peak did you ?  You see him on the way down but even then he was pretty dam good.,,

would be interesting to see how Ivan coped today, in his day he would always have gate 1 , and ducking under the tapes as they went up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting. His biography was entitled "the will to win ". that coupled with his dedication and professionalism would stand him in good stead in any era. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Leicesters team is good, no doubt about it. No injuries and they make the playoffs.  But better? I believe fans on here who don’t follow Polish speedway on tv every Sunday are in for a pleasant, or unpleasant (non Poole fans) surprise.

spanner showed his worth in last years SEC and topped the averages in Polish league one. While Woryna was one of the top riders in the Polish top flight. Once settled I think both wil put a good sized chunk on their starting averages.

polish tracks are a different kettle of fish than British tracks, only 3 tracks in the uk are similar to Polish tracks and Poole is not one of them, so whilst the team does look good on paper, I think they could well struggle to come to terms with 5 of the Prems tracks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hyderd said:

polish tracks are a different kettle of fish than British tracks, only 3 tracks in the uk are similar to Polish tracks and Poole is not one of them, so whilst the team does look good on paper, I think they could well struggle to come to terms with 5 of the Prems tracks

In the A fixtures, and probably b, Wolverhampton and Rye will cause serious issues. But they will be dialled into Poole within a few meetings and thrive at BV,  Swindon and Kings Lynn. Leicester might prove tricky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

In the A fixtures, and probably b, Wolverhampton and Rye will cause serious issues. But they will be dialled into Poole within a few meetings and thrive at BV,  Swindon and Kings Lynn. Leicester might prove tricky.

Personally Steve i think Brady improved at the smaller tracks last season, obviously the Poles may struggle but one of them is at reserve how difficult can that be even at Wolves and they have ridden here before which will help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure Woryna beat Freddie at Wolves when riding for Coventry in his first season although lacked the consistency to back that up but I found his performance exciting enough.

Of the Poles he will probably do OK at the smaller tracks like Wolves (possibly similar to how Musielak mastered it in 2017), of course assuming he brings his Polish form to the UK which everyone - particularly Poole fans - are expecting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy