British Speedway Forum

As a matter of interest Starman have you been able to get to the NSS yet? 

Thequality of the racing come across well on TV but there is nothing to compare with watching it live where you are so close to the track. Yes, we need more fans, like every other track but the new owners are in it for the long haul.

Another benefit never mentioned is that the shape and width of the track means that there are very few falls and fewer restarts. Riders know that taking a risk at the tapes is not so important as it is at many other tracks because of the many passing lines. The result is that there are fewer of the delays which so many fans complain about.

I was priveledged to have watched Speedway at Hyde Road for 30 years. It was a brilliant race track but no track can produce good racing in every race or even every match. When Ivan Mauger was first out of the tapes, which he invariably was, very few riders could get close enough to challenge him. What I can say is that in my opinion the NSS produces racing every bit as good.

What it lacks is the atmosphere created by the crowds we had at Hyde Road but that is a much more difficult problem to resolve.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Starman2006 said:

Yeh, but i also think the Abbey is to big. Take 10 metres of each end then you would have the near perfect track. plenty of follow the leader racing there mate.. BV is like any decent good shaped track, you will still get many a follow the leader racing, of course you will get the odd PROPER speedway race the same as any decent shaped track, ie Poole and Somerset spring to mind but because of the nature of the BV track and being so wide riders will feel safer in taking more risks, which applies to any track, if the rider feels safe he will put himself out more. But i just feel some fans are going a little over board. Remember, they will be paying a huge rent to the council, so they need to get the fans in, although i believe that is not always the case, and how many councils are prepared to build new tracks and stadia ?They have been lucky, the best thing they did was get out of Kirky lane. But Its new therefore will if kept on top of   be easier to maintain.

It is not all follow the leader racing at Swindon, there is plenty of overtaking.

They are looking to shorten the straights, if it ever happens, which some think it will make better racing.  I am unsure and hope we do not end up with a track like Somerset which can be ridden as a circle.  It needs to have wide bends and slightly longer straights than Somerset which should allow different racing lines. 

Swindon has a track 63 mtrs longer than Somerset and 13 mtrs longer than BV so subject to the width it can be shortened but still have a decent straight.  

Edited by A ORLOV

The new BV track is frankly, superb. I have been up several times and the only bad meeting I witnessed was the SWC semi. The final the following day was brilliant.

I have gone up for the Poole meetings and all have been top notch racing.

As for the Poole track, we are lucky to have such a good race track. Hopefully the dusting of snow we have had should effect the work that’s been done. A rider was seen playing on it last night.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2dwoiot1fbr90ex/Video 28-02-2018%2C 19 31 44.mov?dl=0

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The new BV track is frankly, superb. I have been up several times and the only bad meeting I witnessed was the SWC semi. The final the following day was brilliant.

As for the Poole track, we are lucky to have such a good race track. Hopefully the dusting of snow we have had should effect the work that’s been done. A rider was seen playing on it last night.

What a Knob :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Starman2006 said:

Very true, Swindon KL Sheffield Shay Halifax Exeter Wembley were all big galloping tracks,  the others may have been at some point but are not now. As with Ackney and Cradley and even Wimbledon White City Reading sadly they now no longer exist.

IMO it's not big tracks that work well, it's track with long bends where the straights are as far apart as possible. take Somerset and Scunny, they're both about 300m but they have very long sweeping bends so riders don't have to lock up and there no trick to riding the place. Somewhere like Stoke is a similar length but it has very long straights and the bends are very tight. St Austell/Trelawny was only about 230m from memory but it was close to a circle and was very wide so riders scrubbed very little speed off, it rode much more like a big track than a little one.

The great thing about the current BV track? sweeping bends, most Polish tracks? Sweeping bends with the straights as far apart as possible.

55 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

Thequality of the racing come across well on TV but there is nothing to compare with watching it live where you are so close to the track. Yes, we need more fans, like every other track but the new owners are in it for the long haul.

Another benefit never mentioned is that the shape and width of the track means that there are very few falls and fewer restarts. Riders know that taking a risk at the tapes is not so important as it is at many other tracks because of the many passing lines. The result is that there are fewer of the delays which so many fans complain about.

I was priveledged to have watched Speedway at Hyde Road for 30 years. It was a brilliant race track but no track can produce good racing in every race or even every match. When Ivan Mauger was first out of the tapes, which he invariably was, very few riders could get close enough to challenge him. What I can say is that in my opinion the NSS produces racing every bit as good.

What it lacks is the atmosphere created by the crowds we had at Hyde Road but that is a much more difficult problem to resolve.

What Bv have done is what every other British club should aspire too. The track is perfect in absolutely every way. Length, width, banking, ratio of bend/straight size. Then there is the stadium around it, perfectly suited for speedway, not too big because any bigger and people would be spread out too much but you fancy if the sport did suddenly start attracting 10-20,000 every week then it could fit them in with some simple adjustments.

I was lucky I attended the SWC and the first bank holiday meeting vs Coventry and the atmosphere was great at both. A genuine buzz amongst every before, during and after the meeting. The one complaint I did have about both was the facilities, both times a beer come out of a bucket of water under a table and the queues were horrendous and for the SWC there were just not enough toilets. But I'm willing to accept these as teething problems and I'm sure future big events will be more organised.

Didn't someone say that in the first season of the NSS there were only 3 crashes (defined as two riders colliding)? Can't have been many more in 2017 either. Thats an astonishing fact. Eastbourne used to get that by heat 8 whenever they were on Sky or I was there!

3 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

What a Knob :D

Enough about Shovvy, what about that video? :D

1 hour ago, Aces51 said:

I was priveledged to have watched Speedway at Hyde Road for 30 years. It was a brilliant race track but no track can produce good racing in every race or even every match. When Ivan Mauger was first out of the tapes, which he invariably was, very few riders could get close enough to challenge him. What I can say is that in my opinion the NSS produces racing every bit as good,

At the WTC in 2016 I was sat in the  temp seating on bends 3/4, there were lots of Polish fans in that stand and the atmosphere was terrific, what I would give for that at every meeting. 

2 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

Yeh, but i also think the Abbey is to big. Take 10 metres of each end then you would have the near perfect track. plenty of follow the leader racing there mate.. BV is like any decent good shaped track, you will still get many a follow the leader racing, of course you will get the odd PROPER speedway race the same as any decent shaped track, ie Poole and Somerset spring to mind but because of the nature of the BV track and being so wide riders will feel safer in taking more risks, which applies to any track, if the rider feels safe he will put himself out more. But i just feel some fans are going a little over board. Remember, they will be paying a huge rent to the council, so they need to get the fans in, although i believe that is not always the case, and how many councils are prepared to build new tracks and stadia ?They have been lucky, the best thing they did was get out of Kirky lane. But Its new therefore will if kept on top of   be easier to maintain.

what a pathetic post green-eyed jealousy you worry about poole being re-developed for housing !! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, hyderd said:

At the WTC in 2016 I was sat in the  temp seating on bends 3/4, there were lots of Polish fans in that stand and the atmosphere was terrific, what I would give for that at every meeting. 

I agree. I was sitting in the same temporary seats and the Polish fans were brilliant.

Apart from the the big crowds we certainly can't replicate the wooden stands at Hyde Road and the noise created when thousands of fans were stamping their feet as they clapped and cheered. That definitely added to the atmosphere.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

I agree. I was sitting in the same temporary seats and the Polish fans were brilliant.

Apart from the the big crowds we certainly can't replicate the wooden stands at Hyde Road and the noise created when thousands of fans were stamping their feet as they clapped and cheered. That definitely added to the atmosphere.

Totally agree, the BLRC takes some beating.

Of course you're all wrong saying BV is pretty much ideal and that those are the sort of tracks that should be aspired to.

Tsunami, RMC, et al. will be along shortly to tell you so.

2 hours ago, Aces51 said:

Mate ive not had the chance to get up there yet, all  being well, i hope to get up there this season I do agree with your lack of falls bit as appart from a small scrum on bend one all the riders are able to spread out a bit, and will have more time to plan there attack, there are 4 laps to a race, many riders want to do it all in one lap. I see like Sid, you are a big fan of the old Hyde road track..

Edited by Starman2006

2 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

It is not all follow the leader racing at Swindon, there is plenty of overtaking.

They are looking to shorten the straights, if it ever happens, which some think it will make better racing.  I am unsure and hope we do not end up with a track like Somerset which can be ridden as a circle.  It needs to have wide bends and slightly longer straights than Somerset which should allow different racing lines. 

Swindon has a track 63 mtrs longer than Somerset and 13 mtrs longer than BV so subject to the width it can be shortened but still have a decent straight.  

Thats what your place needs mate, if you do shorten the straights you racing will improve no end.

1 hour ago, SCB said:

IMO it's not big tracks that work well, it's track with long bends where the straights are as far apart as possible. take Somerset and Scunny, they're both about 300m but they have very long sweeping bends so riders don't have to lock up and there no trick to riding the place. Somewhere like Stoke is a similar length but it has very long straights and the bends are very tight. St Austell/Trelawny was only about 230m from memory but it was close to a circle and was very wide so riders scrubbed very little speed off, it rode much more like a big track than a little one.

The great thing about the current BV track? sweeping bends, most Polish tracks? Sweeping bends with the straights as far apart as possible.

What Bv have done is what every other British club should aspire too. The track is perfect in absolutely every way. Length, width, banking, ratio of bend/straight size. Then there is the stadium around it, perfectly suited for speedway, not too big because any bigger and people would be spread out too much but you fancy if the sport did suddenly start attracting 10-20,000 every week then it could fit them in with some simple adjustments.

I was lucky I attended the SWC and the first bank holiday meeting vs Coventry and the atmosphere was great at both. A genuine buzz amongst every before, during and after the meeting. The one complaint I did have about both was the facilities, both times a beer come out of a bucket of water under a table and the queues were horrendous and for the SWC there were just not enough toilets. But I'm willing to accept these as teething problems and I'm sure future big events will be more organised.

Didn't someone say that in the first season of the NSS there were only 3 crashes (defined as two riders colliding)? Can't have been many more in 2017 either. Thats an astonishing fact. Eastbourne used to get that by heat 8 whenever they were on Sky or I was there!

Enough about Shovvy, what about that video? :D

Your top post is very good.

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Steve the snow will have no effect at all mate, what we dont want is hard frosts or very heavy continuous rain. The first and second bend should be ok, providing we do not get the above. That said, i would have much rather the track had a good two mths to bed in, not 3 weeks..

On 27/02/2018 at 10:12 PM, WalterPlinge said:

Matt's searched down the back of the sofa.   He reckons he's found enough money to pay for some budget racesuits for the Poundland Pirates after all.

poolesuit.jpg

now that is funny... :D:D