Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Is Holder riding in Best Pairs tomorrow!!! 

I guess not!! He is out tonight with Jack getting smashed on a Bottle of JD! And a big bottle at that!!  

Also Visa 

Due to the adverse weather forecast the decision has been taken to POSTPONE tonight's 70th Anniversary Meeting.

This is direct from the club website - Postpone not Cancel - so maybe it will get another date

10 hours ago, Pinny said:

What and saddle the likes of Smolinski and Jepsen Jensen with 9.00 figures?! Because thats fair isnt it. 

Should be absolutely no such ruling. Any Gp rider with an old average should be allowed to return on that figure and any newcomer, ie Vaculik, should be given a fair assessed figure. 

The likes of Tai and Zagar should of been allowed back in on their old figures. Its absolutely pathetic how they aren’t. 

No No No!! The crux of this for me is allowing any riders back on old averages.  Using Woryna purely as an example - he has an old average from a few years and has since improved significantly as a rider yet is allowed to keep his old average giving any team that signs him (Poole in his case) a 3+ average advantage before a wheel has even turned.  That is wrong but the rules allow it!

• Like 4

Weeks ago somebody suggested that any rider who misses at least a season over here should be reassessed, their new figure calculated from their averages in other leagues using a pre determined formula. Seems the most sensible and fairest option to me.

• Like 5

I used the phrase “in most instances” because BSPA Management Committee have the final say on averages for individual rider averages - think Andreas Jonsson when he returned to Lakeside on a lower average as his historic CMA was thought to be too high.

I am not aware where the suggestion that there was a “9 point rule” came from and have never seen anything in writing saying it had been agreed.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, poolebolton said:

I guess not!! He is out tonight with Jack getting smashed on a Bottle of JD! And a big bottle at that!!  

Also Visa 

And do you know that for sure ? If you dont you really shouldnt make accusations like that mate.

14 minutes ago, Gordon Pairman said:

I used the phrase “in most instances” because BSPA Management Committee have the final say on averages for individual rider averages - think Andreas Jonsson when he returned to Lakeside on a lower average as his historic CMA was thought to be too high.

I am not aware where the suggestion that there was a “9 point rule” came from and have never seen anything in writing saying it had been agreed.

Gordon when the rule was announced wouldn't it of been easier to do a list of everybody who might ride in the uk and show the public beforehand what there figure would be.How hard is that go to the list check ie) an example Lebedev rode for Kings Lynn what would he come in on? rules should be in black and white  gospel no loopholes but they are not.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

Starry, you wrote it the other way round in your original post.  

Its as it should be in this last post, Sadly poor Najjer doesnt understand the difference mate, because there is one. If the track is just rideable they just ride it, causiously, if you can race on it, then they can go flat out. Problem is mate, there are quite a few who get themselves tied up with Pooles affairs  when they should be consentrating on there own clubs. Its perfectly understandable we are the talk of the town, as we are the biggest  and most sucessful club in  modern British speedway .

Edited by Starman2006

Starman........you put the track was raceable but not rideable

Im pretty sure you meant to say rideable not raceable.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Starman........you put the track was raceable but not rideable

Im pretty sure you meant to say rideable not raceable.

No mate, about 3.30 it was raceable,  The track was very good seeing all the rain we had, Glyn went in in the morning and it was a bog, but with a drying wind and a lot of grading and the mesh eventually it dried out really well, at that point it was raceable, they could have gone flat out on that, but in other instances wheres you've had rain and the track is still pretty wet its rideable, and that situation is no good to riders nor the fans.  I hope that makes sense. It was the right decision to call it off, as it rained all night.

You talk absolute f@cking nonsense. Did before your brain surgery and you definately do now.

what an embarrasement you are to your club

52 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Gordon when the rule was announced wouldn't it of been easier to do a list of everybody who might ride in the uk and show the public beforehand what there figure would be.How hard is that go to the list check ie) an example Lebedev rode for Kings Lynn what would he come in on? rules should be in black and white  gospel no loopholes but they are not.

The thing is, there is no rule so nothing to announce. 

The BSPA office keeps the list of historic averages although some promoters also keep a list. As these are changeable due to the MC’s power, a team will ask the office for a definitive average before finalising any signing. 

Lebedevs is a good case to look at - my recollection is he didn’t fare too well at KL so potentially could come back on an unrealistically low average. It would be up to the MC at the time how to assess him now.

On a slightly different point, I have often wondered if it would be better, in our average driven leagues, whether or not, for team building, averages were rounded up or down to the nearest 0.5. That way, there would no longer be the chase for the last decimal point in team building. 

Gordon. Thanks for clarifying there is and never was a 9 point rule. Sounds like a case of ‘if it’s repeated enough times on the forum it will become fact’.

A real shame about the rain coming along at the wrong time. All that time and effort wasted. Hope the 70th dinner tonight is a huge success.

1 hour ago, Gordon Pairman said:

Thank you for the reply. 

It is interesting to note your comments about the reduction of Andreas Jonsson's average  because it was thought to be too high. It makes the decision to allow Woryna to return on an average, which seems to be universally accepted as too low, even more puzzling. With the precedent having been set with Jonsson it is again another example of the inconsistency of the decision making by the BSPA. It is exactly this sort of inconsistency which adds to the lack of credibility. 

With regard to the GP rider rule it wasn't something made up on this forum. A number of promoters have said publicly that it was the change to the averages of some GP riders which prevented them from considering signing them. Plainly, either they are misleading their fans, which I don't believe, or something has been done that affects the averages of GP riders.

Your point in your later post about rounding up or down averages had been discussed on this forum. The problem with it is that those teams with the financial clout or better reputations with riders could then sign riders just below 8.5, 7.5 etc., As 8 or 7 point riders gaining a significant advantage over those left to sign the 8.6, 7.6 etc., riders as 9 or 8 point riders. 

• Like 1