Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

Coastal Aluminium became the main title sponsor of Poole Pirates after signing a six-figure deal in 2012, worth more than £200,000.

Thats taken from a ECHO article which shows how much money Ford missed out on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

But as i said, he will look at a longer period, he said nothing about x meetings. Hopefully Chris wont be to long away. Nothing against Killer but id rather have Chris.

The article in the Echo said he would look at a longer period for Poole but not this season and it is expected he will do 4-6 meetings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

The article in the Echo said he would look at a longer period for Poole but not this season and it is expected he will do 4-6 meetings.

But it never said 4-6 wks, so you are guessing. Thats not in print. Best wait and see what happens eh..

Edited by Starman2006

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ouch said:

The theory put forward was that that CVS and Ford put out the rumour when in actual fact it was lack of funds. Wolves plight is well known and with the unaffordabilty of the team suits it seems money is also short at Poole. 

I know we can have some strong banter but I don’t want to see Poole fold. Signs aren’t good. I’m going to make the effort to visit in a couple of weeks as the opportunity to do this is slipping away. 

Don't expect the plush seats and facilities like you are used to at the NSS.Best take your own cushion for your seat in the old grandstand.Matt's spent all the dosh this year on the track repairs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

But it never said 4-6 wks, so you are guessing. Thats not in print. Best wait and see what happens eh..

i didn't say 4-6 weeks i said 4-6 meetings as it states in the Echo. I didn't say it was certain just what is expected.

Edited by foreverblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Woffy has been caught out a few times so I wouldn't believe everything he says! 

He won't be the first rider caught out either. Look at Holder:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BWitcher said:

No they wouldn't, they'd more likely be closed. 

Coventry Speedway.

If Coventry Speedway had Ford’s ilk, they’d more likely still be open. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hodgy said:

If Coventry Speedway had Ford’s ilk, they’d more likely still be open. 

They did, that was entirely the problem.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

And reading the last few posts you wonder why Poole fans get defensive about our club. Say enough rubbish enough times and people actually start to believe it! 

Here’s a fact for you. Poole use the same rules as every other club. The problem is, the majority of the other clubs are owned by promoters who just don’t have the same savvy/money/ability/dedicated time to compete and that’s why over the last 20 years Poole have become the most successful club.

 Nothing will change because there’s currently not another promoter out there as dedicated to the sport as Matt Ford. It’s a fact. It’s his full time job and he demands success. As Middlo said at P&P, many clubs would see making the playoffs a successful season, but to Poole it was abject failure to bomb out in the semis.

It’s up to other promotions to raise their game. If they were all of the same ilk as Ford the sport would be in a healthy state in the UK.

 

 

It has become quite obvious that to most of us, it is you who believe what you hear, after you preach it so many times.

In any sport, equality is so important, without that equality you have to question the integrity of that sport.  Every other Promoter tries to run their team to the rules as they were intended, not looking at ways to deceive the intention of them rules..   I have often moaned at the BSPA for allowing people like Ford to ride roughshod over our sport, but it is wrong that they have be on the lookout for these kind of people who are only interested in pulling the wool over genuine member’s eyes.   The competition of this sport should be governed by the racing of bikes on the track, not by the person who sees a loophole and bends the rules the most.

You say ‘other promoters should be like Ford and the sport would be far better’, but in truth Ford has been the biggest disease our sport has ever known.  The sport has done well to battle his onslaught of underhanded deception for as long as it has.   Poole fans may think they are the cream of the crop, but the truth of the matter is they are nothing more than sour milk. 

Fans are leaving by their droves because they are fed up to their teeth with how the sport is run.  If you are allowed to bend, cheat or deceive them rules to prosper than any rewards are worthless.   I‘m so pleased, that the majority of the promoters uses the rules how they were intended, and any success  was achieved doing it the right way….  

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, g13webb said:

 

It has become quite obvious that to most of us, it is you who believe what you hear, after you preach it so many times.

In any sport, equality is so important, without that equality you have to question the integrity of that sport.  Every other Promoter tries to run their team to the rules as they were intended, not looking at ways to deceive the intention of them rules..   I have often moaned at the BSPA for allowing people like Ford to ride roughshod over our sport, but it is wrong that they have be on the lookout for these kind of people who are only interested in pulling the wool over genuine member’s eyes.   The competition of this sport should be governed by the racing of bikes on the track, not by the person who sees a loophole and bends the rules the most.

You say ‘other promoters should be like Ford and the sport would be far better’, but in truth Ford has been the biggest disease our sport has ever known.  The sport has done well to battle his onslaught of underhanded deception for as long as it has.   Poole fans may think they are the cream of the crop, but the truth of the matter is they are nothing more than sour milk. 

Fans are leaving by their droves because they are fed up to their teeth with how the sport is run.  If you are allowed to bend, cheat or deceive them rules to prosper than any rewards are worthless.   I‘m so pleased, that the majority of the promoters uses the rules how they were intended, and any success  was achieved doing it the right way….  

 

Stinks of petty jealousy from a fan of a club that is run in a manner which is an embarresment to the league. 

Speedway is a competition. In it to win it. There’s no other way of looking at it. Stop being green behind the ears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure some fans are jealous of the bit of success that Poole have enjoyed under MF, but when you throw money at something for long enough then you will get some kind of reward.  In footballing terms the likes of Chelsea have done it in the past, now its the turn of Man City.  Even local To Poole, Bournemouth have had a few days in the sun by chucking money at it.  Poole will find their own level once the well runs dry.   Will that be at Championship or National League, time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, semion said:

I am sure some fans are jealous of the bit of success that Poole have enjoyed under MF, but when you throw money at something for long enough then you will get some kind of reward.  In footballing terms the likes of Chelsea have done it in the past, now its the turn of Man City.  Even local To Poole, Bournemouth have had a few days in the sun by chucking money at it.  Poole will find their own level once the well runs dry.   Will that be at Championship or National League, time will tell.

Won't be National league Ford won't encourage British youngsters.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, semion said:

I am sure some fans are jealous of the bit of success that Poole have enjoyed under MF

Let's be fair. Four titles and six play-off finals in eight seasons is more than a "bit of success". Poole have been head and shoulders the most dominate team in league speedway in recent years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Personally, I don't see that Matt Ford or Poole do a lot wrong.  In many ways Ford reminds me of the late Ian Thomas as both tend(ed) to upset people (but not worry about it) due to: pushing rules (which are the same for everyone) to the limit, signing the best riders available to them and wishing to do the very best they can in order to promote their club(s) and make them successful....

Ian would be turning in his grave if he knew of that comparison. 

He knew the rule book inside out and when he saw the video from the Poole get together where Ford and Russell were seen laughing following the quick re write of the rules to stop us using Jason on a low average (established at Poole), he formed an opinion then that never changed. 

“He wants to check the rule book lol”  

I’ll never forget that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Stinks of petty jealousy from a fan of a club that is run in a manner which is an embarresment to the league. 

Speedway is a competition. In it to win it. There’s no other way of looking at it. Stop being green behind the ears.

I can assure you I am neither Green or Jealous of anything you may have .  This was the typical response I had expected.    My love for speedway stretches back way beyond 50 yrs   I have been to many matches involving other teams so  the fact Lynn is my nearest club is not even relevant.   My love is for the sport and not just one club.   

As in life I believe in right and wrong, doing things the correct  way .    Yes, Speedway is a competition,  where the results should be governed by what happens on the track, and not by some Wildboy  who bends the rules to suit .   Like you say,  there's no other way to look at it. .....

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×