British Speedway Forum

45 minutes ago, Bleeds Pirate Blue said:

While I understand the criticism of the new logo, in the 70th year of the club seems appropriate to me to pay homage to the club's heritage.

I'd also add, while it's his main business, I've always had the impression Matt Ford sees himself as a custodian of the team. He was a fan before an owner and reinventing the club's image in an important year in its history might feel like overstepping his remit?

Matts doing it with all the best intentions. His record in the last 19 years speaks for itself , and i have told him, nobody can take that away from him. Ablely assisted by Neil. Matt was a sponsor and fan before becoming a promoter. And i have the greatest respect for him as a person, and a promoter. Along with many many  fans not just poole, he and his lovely wife, were great to me while i was in hospital, his words rang in my ears  he calls a spade a spade. and im always happy to help him and Neil where i can.

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, BurntFaceMan said:

Do you think most of the NL and championship riders are making a decent living off it? Let's not play silly buggers. If you were a plumber and you had 2 clients, one of which was paying you £10 and hour and the other one was paying you £100 an hour, who do you think would be getting the best service?

So when you said all riders you meant those good enough to be able to ride abroad.

Certainly riders at championship level are making a living out of it so yes.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Matts doing it with all the best intentions. His record in the last 19 years speaks for itself , and i have told him, nobody can take that away from him. Ablely assisted by Neil. Matt was a sponsor and fan before becoming a promoter. And i have the greatest respect for him as a person, and a promoter. Along with many many  fans not just poole, he and his lovely wife, were great to me while i was in hospital, his words rang in my ears  he calls a spade a spade. and im always happy to help him and Neil where i can.

I find it disappointing that Mike Golding is not being mentioned in your thread Mike.

He was part of the team that swept in so refreshingly in 1999.

Hope people don't forget that.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, sugarray said:

I find it disappointing that Mike Golding is not being mentioned in your thread Mike.

Yep i agree mate. Mike was a very pivital part of the club when he was promoting with Matt. He is still a regular at the stadium on a weds, and sits up stairs in the  resturant. I always have a good chat with him, every weds and value his input re riders etc. He used to sit in the grandstand when he was co-promoting and always had time for the staff. He was also a regular on the terraces with the fans at away meetings. Good bloke who has also had his heath issues.

17 hours ago, sugarray said:

Lets not forget Mervyn Stewkesbury, Pete Ansell and Alan Hodder for that matter!:D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Lets not forget Mervyn Stewkesbury, Pete Ansell and Alan Hodder for that matter!:D

If it wasnt for our dearly departed Pete Ansell we would never have  had speedway at poole again..

Edited by Starman2006

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Going down that route what about the Knott family?

Edited by sugarray
Spelling

6 minutes ago, sugarray said:

That's when the stadium was full up with supporters 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sugarray said:

Yep very true. The knotts were sinominous with the poole set up for years in the 60's and 70's. We still have one wandering the stadium weekly..:o Lets also not forget Gordon Pairman, a promoter in his own right and a very good edition to the club. Gordons knowledge is invaluable , and regulary deputises at meetings for Matt. his knowledge of riders and the rule book is very good. He's is always fasinating to listen to.

28 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Yep very true. The knotts were sinominous with the poole set up for years in the 60's and 70's. We still have one wandering the stadium weekly..:o Lets also not forget Gordon Pairman, a promoter in his own right and a very good edition to the club. Gordons knowledge is invaluable , and regulary deputises at meetings for Matt. his knowledge of riders and the rule book is very good. He's is always fasinating to listen to.

...and is on the Speedway Control Bureau!!!:D

2 hours ago, ray c said:

That's when the stadium was full up with supporters 

When I started going.

Edited by sugarray
Mistyped

10 minutes ago, sugarray said:

When I started going.

Yep when i first started going in 1970, they must have been averaging 5000 + Yeh your right Clive,  Gordon is also on the SCB..

Please could anyone confirm whether the relegation race off is in place again this year? Just asking for a friend who lives in Dorset.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, thecoombdog said:

Please could anyone confirm whether the relegation race off is in place again this year? Just asking for a friend who lives in Dorset.

I like that quite funny :lol:

Ole Ole Ole Ole Champions Champions

Oops, sorry, wrong thread :) 

• Haha 2