British Speedway Forum

3 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Dont be picky.  As i said. Clearly you take grwat delight in me getting something wrong. You would do the same occasionally.

you made a mistake starman not a big deal,just write" oops sorry my mistake" dont continue the argument with endless twists and meaningless comments

• Like 6

Just now, poole keith said:

you made a mistake starman not a big deal,just write" oops sorry my mistake" dont continue the argument with endless twists and meaningless comments

You call what i had meaningless. I dont think so. I forgot he rode so many meetings which is not like me.  I to looking at it am suprised that Matt didnt retain him, but there you go.  It would have been nice for both Chris and Jack to ride for us, maybe next  season.

20 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Dont be picky.  As i said. Clearly you take great delight in me getting something wrong. You would do the same occasionally.

No I don't take delight in you getting something wrong, we all make mistakes but if you showed a little humility and admitted it once in a while you might find I may not be as picky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starman2006 said:

You call what i had meaningless. I dont think so. I forgot he rode so many meetings which is not like me.  I to looking at it am suprised that Matt didnt retain him, but there you go.  It would have been nice for both Chris and Jack to ride for us, maybe next  season.

i think Jack is an angry loser which is a good sign as its one of a fighter/competetive racer. He is only 6 months older than Brady but has one season less in UK than Brady did having stayed in Aussie an extra year I believe to complete an apprentiship.

I was a big supporter of Jack and feel he should have been kept. Just like Brady he had a lot put on him in a team of heavy underachievers last season and as usual riding for Poole too many thought they should/would win the league.

His biggest problem was that his immaturity spilled out into the pits with some foul mouthed outbursts to Matt and the Management got him into hot water. It was his way of pouring out the emotions of not riding well as he and the team wanted and it got the better of him. Not good for his then relationship with Matt but at the same time let's not be too hard on a young guy who has a lot of aggression which needs channeling on the track like riders such as Nicky Pedersen. Not always popular but you are judged by what you do on the track. That bit of aggression can be the difference between being just another rider or hopefully a top rider.

I hope to see him back next season and riding away at Somerset for a season tkes the pressure off a bit for too many thinking he is another your Chris Holder or Darcy Ward.

Just like Brady he will have plenty of ups and downs before he is the real deal. Friday he wasnt so good for Torun yet on Saturday he was runner up in a GP qualifier with the likes of Pawlicki/Bukzkowski/Kildermand/Smolinski/Howarth out of the places.

If Chris can get things sorted once and for all then would still be good to see them together at Poole next season. Of course if we still have Prem league racing at Poole by then should it all go t*ts up this season. (Hopefully it won't but it's a worry seeing how most teams can beat each other making a top 4 slot more difficult imo).

Edited by STEVEHOLS54
typos

13 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

i think Jack is an angry loser which is a good sign as its one of a fighter/competetive racer.he is only 6 months older than Brady but has one season les sin UK than rady did having stayed in Aussie I believe to complete an apprentiship.

I was a big supporter of Jack and feel he should have been kept. Just like Brady he had a lot put on him in a team of heavily underachievers last season and as usual riding for Poole too many thought they should/would win the league.

His biggest problem was that his immaturity spilled out into the pits with some foul mouthed outbursts to Matt and the Management got him into hot water. It was his way our pouring out the emotions of not riding as he and the team wanted and got the better of him. Not good for his then relationship with Matt but at the same time let's not be too hard on a young guy who has a lot of aggression which needs channeling on the track like riders such as Nicky Pedersen. Not always popular but you are judged by what you do on the track. That bit of aggression can be the difference between being just another rider or hopefully a top rider.

I hope to see him back next season and riding away at Somerset for a season tkes the pressure off a bit for too many thinking he is another your Chris Holder or Darcy Ward.

Just like Brady he will have plenty of ups and downs before he is the real deal. Friday he wasnt so good for Torun yet on Saturday he was runner up in a GP qualifier with the likes of Pawlicki/Buckzkowski/Kildermand/Smolinski/Howarth out of the places.

If Chris can get things sorted once and for all then would still be good to see them together at Poole next season. Of course if we still have Prem league racing at Poole by then should it all go ** up this season. (Hopefully it won't but it's a worry seeing how most teams can beat each other making a top 4 slot more difficult imo).

I cant add to that, except to say, if both ride for Poole next season Chris will be able to keep him in check Jack has the abillity to go a long way in the sport but needs to calm his emotions and as he matures he will. Thing is as you know, expectations are very high at Poole, and riders who come in know this. Same applies to Kyle, a year at Leicester will do him the world of good, and talking to his dad as i do, ive already said, had he not had the injuries, he would have been averaging 6.50/ 7. 00. You've only got to see some of his scores as you probably have, sinse joining Leicester at No 2. Good sensible post..;)

Edited by Starman2006

If both Holder's ride for Poole not sure Chris can keep Jack in check! As for Kyle Newman i know he has had injuries and i do like him but i don't think he will ever be a 6-7point rider in the premiership. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

I cant add to that, except to say, if both ride for Poole next season Chris will be able to keep him in check Jack has the abillity to go a long way in the sport but needs to calm his emotions and as he matures he will. Thing is as you know, expectations are very high at Poole, and riders who come in know this. Same applies to Kyle, a year at Leicester will do him the world of good, and talking to his dad as i do, ive already said, had he not had the injuries, he would have been averaging 6.50/ 7. 00. You've only got to see some of his scores as you probably have, sinse joining Leicester at No 2. Good sensible post..;)

The wiser heads amongst us who have followed the sport for many years, know a rider with a lot of potential when they come along. What Jack and Brady need in any team is proven heat leaders to do their jobs so that these guys can develop. Unfortunately Darcy also being an Aussie set the bar ridiculously high that we may never see such a natural talent again like it. Doesnt mean to say Brady & Jack won't go to the top. They need to be brought along at their own speed and both have already made major leaps this year into the POl EXL with Brady also being in SWE Elite. Give them both time. I think both are ahead in development than say Nick Morris was at their age and Morris from a UK perspective has proved patience pays off. He is now slowly breaking into POL admittedly at League 2 but he is on the ladder.

As for Kyle - Yes such a pity that injuries have curtailed his progress. Maybe not a top/top rider but a good team man who should get decent points with a clear run in the team. All teams need a workhorse or a rider who you can rely on week in and out.  I think Kyle is one like that who probably would have been at Kyle Howarth's level had he kept clear of incidents. I remember seeing his in some good races for Poole against Howarth some years back where Newman came out on top in plenty of hard races between the 2. Let's hope he can recapture that form and consistently.

It is also said that Jack is the main reason why team spirit was so bad last season. So I can see why Matt wasn't rushing to have him back! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

The wiser heads amongst us who have followed the sport for many years, know a rider with a lot of potential when they come along. What Jack and Brady need in any team is proven heat leaders to do their jobs so that these guys can develop. Unfortunately Darcy also being an Aussie set the bar ridiculously high that we may never see such a natural talent again like it. Doesnt mean to say Brady & Jack won't go to the top. They need to be brought along at their own speed and both have already made major leaps this year into the POl EXL with Brady also being in SWE Elite. Give them both time. I think both are ahead in development than say Nick Morris was at their age and Morris from a UK perspective has proved patience pays off. He is now slowly breaking into POL admittedly at League 2 but he is on the ladder.

As for Kyle - Yes such a pity that injuries have curtailed his progress. Maybe not a top/top rider but a good team man who should get decent points with a clear run in the team. All teams need a workhorse or a rider who you can rely on week in and out.  I think Kyle is one like that who probably would have been at Kyle Howarth's level had he kept clear of incidents. I remember seeing his in some good races for Poole against Howarth some years back where Newman came out on top in plenty of hard races between the 2. Let's hope he can recapture that form and consistently.

Another good post. Yep, Brady is a slow burner, he will continue to improve, but he will also have his duffers, as you say, both have the potential to go right to the top, but again either could fall short.  Nick has always been a middle of the road type of rider for me, but is more than capable of posting good scores.
Darcy as you know was a one off, and i doubt we will see a rider like him again for quite some time. If Kyle can stay clear of injury it will do him the world of good, and he should recapture his old form, last year was just shear bad luck, hit a rut  and that was it, easy done.
Again, Chris has been blighted with very bad injuries, and that does take its toll, not forgetting his other stuff, i i would have been not suprised at all had he not called it a day last season, but to his credit, he's battling on.
As you say, we need a rider we can rely on week in week out, but as it stands we are probably two  big hitters  short. IF,  Chris can sort this visa problem out then who knows, we are not half way through yet. To be fair, he should have applied like the rest of the Aussies when the season ended last year  reguardless whether he was going to ride here or not.
I dont know the ins and outs of visa applications, but maybe, because he was banned, he could not apply untill that was served. Just guessing.

Edited by Starman2006

Matt has already stated in his early season programme notes that Chris's long term future is at Poole and that Jack will benefit from a season away before hopefully rejoining Poole in the future.

Obviously as with all line-ups it'll come down to averages fitting the points limit.

Not sure why someone suggested some doubt as to whether there would be Premiership racing at Poole next season?  I mean its not as if there's promotion/relegation anymore?!

5 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Another good post. Yep, Brady is a slow burner, he will continue to improve, but he will also have his duffers, as you say, both have the potential to go right to the top, but again either could fall short.  Nick has always been a middle of the road type of rider for me, but is more than capable of posting good scores.
Darcy as you know was a one off, and i doubt we will see a rider like him again for quite some time. If Kyle can stay clear of injury it will do him the world of good, and he should recapture his old form, last year was just shear bad luck, hit a rut  and that was it, easy done.
Again, Chris has been blighted with very bad injuries, and that does take its toll, not forgetting his other stuff, i i would have been not suprised at all had he not called it a day last season, but to his credit, he's battling on.
As you say, we need a rider we can rely on week in week out, but as it stands we are probably two  big hitters  short. IF,  Chris can sort this visa problem out then who knows, we are not half way through yet. To be fair, he should have applied like the rest of the Aussies when the season ended last year  reguardless whether he was going to ride here or not.
I dont know the ins and outs of visa applications, but maybe, because he was banned, he could not apply untill that was served. Just guessing.

.....and its not as clear cut as just a normal visa application!! there have been other complications.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

.....and its not as clear cut as just a normal visa application!! there have been other complications.

You could say that...

16 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Yes one or two complications! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Not sure why someone suggested some doubt as to whether there would be Premiership racing at Poole next season?  I mean its not as if there's promotion/relegation anymore?!

Skidder - The comment was more aimed at the state of British Speedway.

Its no secret that Matt was already feeling the pinch financially with no DECENT TV money prior to season start. Add to that the big meeting wipeout with all that bad weather and the expense of flying in and putting up all those riders plus the big bash with no incoming revenue to balance the books. Add to that the wipeout early season of meetings incl the meeting BH against Somerset that wld normally attract a big crowd. Not enough money for the kevlars (polish it up how you want but for me no modern speedway team in a top division should not have its own team kevlars).

You can add to that poorer than normal attendances - fixed nights which not affecting Poole so much but its openly reported on the BSF that crowds are down or falling.

IF and i say IF Poole crash and burn this season and with whats going on elsewhere, can Matt and the not so well off Clubs afford to maintain Speedway in its current format.

The point I was eluding to is will the format of British Speedway change if clubs cant afford the big boys any more and are we slowly heading towards one major league ?? When you hear Matt Ford is finding it tight/tough and if he has another not so good season (as last year and so far this season), will he have the heart and fight to continue in the top flight. Same comment for others where you hear the NSS is also struggling on crowds partly due to fixed night racing and also more likely due to the continued falling interest in our sport.

Matt had a successful team in the past which kept the crowds coming in. Having had supporters spoiled with that over the last decade plus, it soon hits the pocket when you get a team who struggle to even get home wins. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Skidder - The comment was more aimed at the state of British Speedway.

Its no secret that Matt was already feeling the pinch financially with no DECENT TV money prior to season start. Add to that the big meeting wipeout with all that bad weather and the expense of flying in and putting up all those riders plus the big bash with no incoming revenue to balance the books. Add to that the wipeout early season of meetings incl the meeting BH against Somerset that wld normally attract a big crowd. Not enough money for the kevlars (polish it up how you want but for me no modern speedway team in a top division should not have its own team kevlars).

You can add to that poorer than normal attendances - fixed nights which not affecting Poole so much but its openly reported on the BSF that crowds are down or falling.

IF and i say IF Poole crash and burn this season and with whats going on elsewhere, can Matt and the not so well off Clubs afford to maintain Speedway in its current format.

The point I was eluding to is will the format of British Speedway change if clubs cant afford the big boys any more and are we slowly heading towards one major league ?? When you hear Matt Ford is finding it tight/tough and if he has another not so good season (as last year and so far this season), will he have the heart and fight to continue in the top flight. Same comment for others where you hear the NSS is also struggling on crowds partly due to fixed night racing and also more likely due to the continued falling interest in our sport.

Matt had a successful team in the past which kept the crowds coming in. Having had supporters spoiled with that over the last decade plus, it soon hits the pocket when you get a team who struggle to even get home wins. 

Fixed race nights has not helped British speedway one league could be the only option in the future