British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, hyabb17 said:

Phil Rising wrote on here that the HO have his passport which is why he's been unable to visit his child.

He can come back.  It's just he then cant get back out of the country on emergency travel documents as riding speedway in Poland wouldnt fit the criteria for emergency travel docs..

If he's got out without a passport once, he will have already have had to give a good reason already.,.. unlikely he'd get allowed to do the same as they'd know he was just leaving to earn money.

I think Poole just need to regroup  take stock  but the problems are nothing terminal speedway in this Country has to change maybe  Matt Ford knows the days of the big stars have gone.Maybe our Country needs to reinvent its speedway maybe one big league  might work ???? personally i think it   will never happen? but create teams with a lower level of rider.I don't take great delight in Poole struggling because Poole have such a following the revenue when meeting them is  so vital also my team Swindon are not unbeatable i don't think they will win the league.I just hope the clubs can work together more maybe i am wrong but some of the crowds are worrying something has to change.

• Like 2

Matt seems to be in a difficult situation.

His Echo comments seem to be setting us up for the fact the top riders dont want to come. Or also part of the reason is those that MIGHT be interested would involve mega bucks together with all related flight costs and also maybe unsustainable parent club expensive guarantees for the riders Polish teams in the event their top riders were injured. Even more so for their talented youngsters like Drabik/Smektala/Kubera. Can't say I blame them with the amount of money tied up in POL with sponsorship etc and the affect it could have on a POL EXL team if one of these guys was injured.

Maybe we just have to accept now that with the perilous state of British Speedway - we cant afford them - many don't want to come here and we cant affords the crazy insurance guarantee premiums for their POL clubs with no doubt crazy high premiums in a hazardous sport on our smaller, questionable quality tracks.

The likes of Doyle/Iversen/Holder live in UK and have property/family so have a vested interest in UK. Some come here as they are in their thirties and are arguably in the advanced stage of their careers so want as many teams/countries as they can fit in during maybe the last 5 years or so of their careers so want to boost income.

The problem Poole have is that Matt created a bit of a monster in  respect of the teams he has put out over the last ?? years and its really since the Darcy situation (both his 1 year ban and subsequent accident) which coincided with our fall from grace as a speedway nation that we now partly paying the price. it wasnt that long ago where we had Pawlicki's/Janowski/Holder/Ward  . Now we have riders who were supposed to be potential hidden gems who are/have not performed.

Perhaps there has been an element of arrogance amongst some fans but any different to a lot of sports where you have had a dominant source for a number of years ??. Having a forum also sets such a club up to be shot at when we fall from grace. Human nature I suppose and always plenty wanting to gloat when it goes wrong.

Matt has done well with his signings in the past and he has been  shrewd over the years utlising the rules to his advantage where he saw fit. Ok the last 2 years (especially last year and so far this) it hasn't panned out. BUT not many thought they would struggle to this degree. The 2 Poles that even with their relative inexperience of UK tracks should have been better based on lst seasons form in both POL EXL/Nice 1. Did we really expect Sundstrom to be so bad (apart from Wed performance). Yes there were risks but they still should have been better. Same with Josh although I didnt expect him to be a real HL as been around the block a long time in UK and feel his standard in Prem is between 6&7 imo.

Holder situation- Less said the better as its just an addl kick in the b*lls for Matt.

So as it stands we are a Holder type short and an 8 pointer as really unfair to throw it on young Brady (yet again).

Let's hope he can salvage something but even from his comments in the Echo he is maybe bracing himself for another possible 2009 scenario.

One thing seems also certain though and that is that in the main we can probably forget seeing the real big stars again. That makes me think increasingly that perhaps one big league may be the way forward or perhaps split into 2 Leagues with a mixture of some stars who want to ride here. No idea how you put it together but that's what we have the BSPA for isn't it?

P.S: Looking at that one heat from the recent RH V Swindon match posted on SGB today. That perhaps gives you some idea of how bad the crowds are for a Prem match. Can't see them surviving in Prem with such a poor looking crowd. Check it out. Or is it me ??

1 hour ago, Matt Ford Fan said:

In life you don't always get what you wish for.

Look on the bright side.......You still my get that peppa pig bed set you asked for.

Nothing wrong with Peppa Pig! :D Although it's interesting you know who/what Peppa Pig is!! :lol:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Matt seems to be in a difficult situation.

His Echo comments seem to be setting us up for the fact the top riders dont want to come. Or also part of the reason is those that MIGHT be interested would involve mega bucks together with all related flight costs and also maybe unsustainable parent club expensive guarantees for the riders Polish teams in the event their top riders were injured. Even more so for their talented youngsters like Drabik/Smektala/Kubera. Can't say I blame them with the amount of money tied up in POL with sponsorship etc and the affect it could have on a POL EXL team if one of these guys was injured.

Maybe we just have to accept now that with the perilous state of British Speedway - we cant afford them - many don't want to come here and we cant affords the crazy insurance guarantee premiums for their POL clubs with no doubt crazy high premiums in a hazardous sport on our smaller, questionable quality tracks.

The likes of Doyle/Iversen/Holder live in UK and have property/family so have a vested interest in UK. Some come here as they are in their thirties and are arguably in the advanced stage of their careers so want as many teams/countries as they can fit in during maybe the last 5 years or so of their careers so want to boost income.

The problem Poole have is that Matt created a bit of a monster in  respect of the teams he has put out over the last ?? years and its really since the Darcy situation (both his 1 year ban and subsequent accident) which coincided with our fall from grace as a speedway nation that we now partly paying the price. it wasnt that long ago where we had Pawlicki's/Janowski/Holder/Ward  . Now we have riders who were supposed to be potential hidden gems who are/have not performed.

Perhaps there has been an element of arrogance amongst some fans but any different to a lot of sports where you have had a dominant source for a number of years ??. Having a forum also sets such a club up to be shot at when we fall from grace. Human nature I suppose and always plenty wanting to gloat when it goes wrong.

Matt has done well with his signings in the past and he has been  shrewd over the years utlising the rules to his advantage where he saw fit. Ok the last 2 years (especially last year and so far this) it hasn't panned out. BUT not many thought they would struggle to this degree. The 2 Poles that even with their relative inexperience of UK tracks should have been better based on lst seasons form in both POL EXL/Nice 1. Did we really expect Sundstrom to be so bad (apart from Wed performance). Yes there were risks but they still should have been better. Same with Josh although I didnt expect him to be a real HL as been around the block a long time in UK and feel his standard in Prem is between 6&7 imo.

Holder situation- Less said the better as its just an addl kick in the b*lls for Matt.

So as it stands we are a Holder type short and an 8 pointer as really unfair to throw it on young Brady (yet again).

Let's hope he can salvage something but even from his comments in the Echo he is maybe bracing himself for another possible 2009 scenario.

One thing seems also certain though and that is that in the main we can probably forget seeing the real big stars again. That makes me think increasingly that perhaps one big league may be the way forward or perhaps split into 2 Leagues with a mixture of some stars who want to ride here. No idea how you put it together but that's what we have the BSPA for isn't it?

P.S: Looking at that one heat from the recent RH V Swindon match posted on SGB today. That perhaps gives you some idea of how bad the crowds are for a Prem match. Can't see them surviving in Prem with such a poor looking crowd. Check it out. Or is it me ??

Bet Matt wishes he hadn't kicked CH 'in the b*lls' last year...... maybe you might've had him in the team from the start of the season... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trees said:

Bet Matt wishes he hadn't kicked CH 'in the b*lls' last year...... maybe you might've had him in the team from the start of the season... 

Unfortunately we are heading down the same road as last season so similar. ?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Trees said:

Let's put things into perspective here.

CH  was dropped only because of the CRAZY BSPA rule which gave likes of Chris a 12.53 GSA. He was never going to achieve anything like that, and based on his VERY in and out form since the Darcy accident and personal relationship split issues at home he was arguably no better than a 7 pointer last s eason. As his real GSA turned out to be while with KL. I am not even convinced he would have scored higher than 8 even if he had rode for Poole. Just look at his results and av in both POL and SWE to  see how he had fallen from grace. His POL team should have been relegated to Nice 1 had it not been for the Laguta drugs case which got his team relegated instead of the rightful wooden spoonists Torun.

He was dropped to give Poole a better chance of having more points throughout the team. Had KK ridden to anywhere near his potential/real av it would not have been a problem.

Let's not get into the KL issue as enough aired on it. He got his ban, served his time and most know the visa issue is more complicated but nobody can talk about it for fear of their posts being removed.I don't know the actual issue but have maybe an idea. Not for this post but is jut another kick in the teeth for Matt on top of the other issues of riders not performing.

On paper Matt had a very attractive team which SHOULD have had all round strength to take some of the pressure off Kurtz who is still finding his way. On paper Spaniak should have been a very strong reserve and Woryna should have been regularly banging in 7/10 per meeting against the quality overall in UK. Sundstrom should have been steady and at least holding his assessed lower GSA at start of the season based on what he could do in POL/SWE. The facts are that none of then did. With also Josh coming up short the problem is evident. Even Killer didnt do it in my eyes (but then his results in POL in 2017 and early 2018 said its own story and his fall from the SGP).

Maybe some Poole fans partly deserve the gloating form others based on how the team was lauded up. You can blame the management as well for that as Poole have always been high profile in how they advertise/play the media on signed riders.

But the forum is there for the lovers/haters and in betweeners when it comes to contributions. Suppose it makes the thing more interesting to have different views even if some of them seem to go out of their way to be antagonistic towards others. The latter we can do without but suppose you cant have it perfect ;)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Let's put things into perspective here.

CH  was dropped only because of the CRAZY BSPA rule which gave likes of Chris a 12.53 GSA. He was never going to achieve anything like that, and based on his VERY in and out form since the Darcy accident and personal relationship split issues at home he was arguably no better than a 7 pointer last s eason. As his real GSA turned out to be while with KL. I am not even convinced he would have scored higher than 8 even if he had rode for Poole. Just look at his results and av in both POL and SWE to  see how he had fallen from grace. His POL team should have been relegated to Nice 1 had it not been for the Laguta drugs case which got his team relegated instead of the rightful wooden spoonists Torun.

He was dropped to give Poole a better chance of having more points throughout the team. Had KK ridden to anywhere near his potential/real av it would not have been a problem.

Let's not get into the KL issue as enough aired on it. He got his ban, served his time and most know the visa issue is more complicated but nobody can talk about it for fear of their posts being removed.I don't know the actual issue but have maybe an idea. Not for this post but is jut another kick in the teeth for Matt on top of the other issues of riders not performing.

On paper Matt had a very attractive team which SHOULD have had all round strength to take some of the pressure off Kurtz who is still finding his way. On paper Spaniak should have been a very strong reserve and Woryna should have been regularly banging in 7/10 per meeting against the quality overall in UK. Sundstrom should have been steady and at least holding his assessed lower GSA at start of the season based on what he could do in POL/SWE. The facts are that none of then did. With also Josh coming up short the problem is evident. Even Killer didnt do it in my eyes (but then his results in POL in 2017 and early 2018 said its own story and his fall from the SGP).

Maybe some Poole fans partly deserve the gloating form others based on how the team was lauded up. You can blame the management as well for that as Poole have always been high profile in how they advertise/play the media on signed riders.

But the forum is there for the lovers/haters and in betweeners when it comes to contributions. Suppose it makes the thing more interesting to have different views even if some of them seem to go out of their way to be antagonistic towards others. The latter we can do without but suppose you cant have it perfect ;)

Jason doyle had a higher average than holder and his team won the league 

Edited by ray c
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ray c said:

Jason doyle hada higher average than holder and his team won the league 

Correct but Doyle was in a different league to Holder both last season and season before. Should have been World Champ not once but twice. Not a great team rider BUT by far the best heat leader by a mile over those 2 seasons.

Factor in Swindon having a shrewd and brilliant team manager in Rosco and his  clever signing of Musielek - motivating Morris to add nearly 2 points to his av. It all added up to a brilliant season for a team many thought would finish bottom when the team was first announced due to being too top heavy with Doyle's points.

Tell you now that Poole would have been nowhere near top had they kept Holder (in my opinion).

Swindon showed how it could be done but paid the price for that success at the start of this season. May still win the league again with shrewd signings and also riders riding consistently. Maybe not so dominant but should be in play offs and could well win if Wolves dominant home form doesnt spoil it for the rest of us.

With Holder you could get 4/5 one week and 10/11 the next. Ultimately it would have averaged out around 7 to 8 but nothing good enough to have won the league (last season or this).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ray c said:

Jason doyle had a higher average than holder and his team won the league 

Not the team they started with they didn't!!!

1 hour ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Correct but Doyle was in a different league to Holder both last season and season before. Should have been World Champ not once but twice. Not a great team rider BUT by far the best heat leader by a mile over those 2 seasons.

Factor in Swindon having a shrewd and brilliant team manager in Rosco and his  clever signing of Musielek - motivating Morris to add nearly 2 points to his av. It all added up to a brilliant season for a team many thought would finish bottom when the team was first announced due to being too top heavy with Doyle's points.

Tell you now that Poole would have been nowhere near top had they kept Holder (in my opinion).

Swindon showed how it could be done but paid the price for that success at the start of this season. May still win the league again with shrewd signings and also riders riding consistently. Maybe not so dominant but should be in play offs and could well win if Wolves dominant home form doesnt spoil it for the rest of us.

With Holder you could get 4/5 one week and 10/11 the next. Ultimately it would have averaged out around 7 to 8 but nothing good enough to have won the league (last season or this).

Every team will pay the price every season if they win the league . personally I don't think Swindon did to bad for winning the league last season they retained 5 of there rider's from the previous season 

42 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Not the team they started with they didn't!!!

Only one change though which did it 

9 minutes ago, ray c said:

Every team will pay the price every season if they win the league . personally I don't think Swindon did to bad for winning the league last season they retained 5 of there rider's from the previous season 

But the problem is whichever team wins gets broken up by the team average the bspa allow for the following year rather than increase the limit and let teams get stronger. 

22 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

But the problem is whichever team wins gets broken up by the team average the bspa allow for the following year rather than increase the limit and let teams get stronger. 

I totally agree year in year out always the same

7 hours ago, Matt Ford Fan said:

Let's be real for a second.........this club's run is finished now.

Our asset base is based on riders who have no interest riding in the UK or they are unavailable for other reasons.

British clubs cannot afford those type of riders even if they did want to do Britain (They wouldn't). 

Tracks are poor, The money is not great and the Polish clubs would demand compensation if a rider was to get seriously injured and the British club couldn't afford to pay the interest.

Some names from the Pirates asset base.

Darcy Ward unfortunately can't race anymore. Would have been a multiple world champion. But Darcy is still a winner in my eyes. 

Janowski who we cant afford anymore.

Lindback/Madsen/Milik/Jonasson/Gomolski have no interest in UK racing

Kasprzak won't line up for us again

Bjarne Pedersen coming to end of his career now

Davey Watt and Dakota North retired.

Not sure if Przemyslaw Pawlicki is our asset or a Coventry asset either way it doesn't matter because he has no interest in British racing either.

Also not sure if Matt got all of readypowers assets. I think he did but I'm not certain but you can rule the majority of those riders as well because of various reasons. 

Why do you think Matt has had to pay out loan fees to Swindon this season? Why was he in talks with Martin Smolinski? Why did we end up with Kennett signing for us last season?

It's because none of our assets are available and they wont be available ever again.

You will make the top four. A few wins and you will be raving again ;).

• Like 1