British Speedway Forum

4 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

I think Lynn did. But money talks. Well it did then.

Lynn may legitimately claim Ward, but Maciek has to be credited to Swindon.

4 minutes ago, KevH said:

Lynn may legitimately claim Ward, but Maciek has to be credited to Swindon.

Nah Magic was on the cresp of a wave.

But wasnt maintained and was let go which is when Poole picked him up as a second string and a fairly average one at that.

ward and Janowoski were signed as second strings by Poole and both left as world class number ones... as was Holder although he has been to the top and is on the way back down. 

How many clubs actually bring a rider on from a rookie all the way to a world class rider?

26 minutes ago, Pinny said:

But wasnt maintained and was let go which is when Poole picked him up as a second string and a fairly average one at that.

ward and Janowoski were signed as second strings by Poole and both left as world class number ones... as was Holder although he has been to the top and is on the way back down. 

How many clubs actually bring a rider on from a rookie all the way to a world class rider?

They would have developed into the same riders.It's just Poole signed them at the right time..

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

They would have developed into the same riders.It's just Poole signed them at the right time..

How do you know?

Its like saying Lindgren could of been signed by Belle Vue and developed into the same rider as he is now. 

The fact is when Poole signed Magic he had been a second string for a few years . When he left Poole he was a 9 point number one. Darcy Ward and Holder were signed as second strings and both eventually became number ones. None of those three were anything like number ones when they joined Poole so how can you say they would of done that wherever they rode? Youll never know. 

1 hour ago, Pinny said:

How do you know?

Its like saying Lindgren could of been signed by Belle Vue and developed into the same rider as he is now. 

The fact is when Poole signed Magic he had been a second string for a few years . When he left Poole he was a 9 point number one. Darcy Ward and Holder were signed as second strings and both eventually became number ones. None of those three were anything like number ones when they joined Poole so how can you say they would of done that wherever they rode? Youll never know. 

I think it was pretty well known from the very start that Ward and Holder would become World class. Both were being talked about before they even came to the UK. 

Janowski not so much so. He was promising at Swindon, but Zengota was probably seen as being better. He came on a lot when at Poole, although his developement is probably more down to the Polish league than here.

• Like 1

Talking of clubs improving riders ,It's a well known fact that  Peter Craven Ivan Mauger, Ove Fundin, Peter Collins, and Jason Crump only became world champions because they signed for Belle Vue.They would have got nowhere otherwise lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

I think it was pretty well known from the very start that Ward and Holder would become World class. Both were being talked about before they even came to the UK. 

Janowski not so much so. He was promising at Swindon, but Zengota was probably seen as being better. He came on a lot when at Poole, although his developement is probably more down to the Polish league than here.

And who was it who brought Holder to the UK ? Poole and let IOW use him until he was EL ready.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colin wood said:

Talking of clubs improving riders ,It's a well known fact that  Peter Craven Ivan Mauger, Ove Fundin, Peter Collins, and Jason Crump only became world champions because they signed for Belle Vue.They would have got nowhere otherwise lol.

Fundin was already a 4 times World Champion before he signed for Belle Vue!

1 hour ago, Pinny said:

And who was it who brought Holder to the UK ? Poole and let IOW use him until he was EL ready.

Swindon with Leigh Adams, took him as a 2 point rider in 1989 (I think) & he went on from there.

Edited by hyabb17

2 minutes ago, hyabb17 said:

Swindon with Leigh Adams, took him as a 2 point rider in 1989 (I think) & he went on from there.

Poole took Adams, not Swindon. Adams moved to Swindon from Poole  when Poole were still NL.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Poole took Adams, not Swindon. Adams moved to Swindon from Poole  when Poole were still NL.

He came over & joined Poole for one season before we took him into the top league & he kicked on from there. I should have said that. It was just an answer to Pinny's question.

Edited by hyabb17

9 minutes ago, hyabb17 said:

He came over & joined Poole for one season before we took him into the top league & he kicked on from there. I should have said that. It was just an answer to Pinny's question.

Adams spent the best part of a decade riding elsewhere and reaching his peak before returning to Swindon though didnt he?

35 minutes ago, hyabb17 said:

Wrong. He was still riding for Poole in 89.