British Speedway Forum

6 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

If you was at oole tonight you would know..

cant believe you said that i posted that comment yesterday afternoon before i even went down the stadium you cant help it can you attacking my posts

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Arthur54 said:

in this week's star matt says he will make a decision on his future and the pirates future later on this year

Sounds similar to the Arsene Wenger fiasco. Similar sort of history actually! 

1 hour ago, ray c said:

cant believe you said that i posted that comment yesterday afternoon before i even went down the stadium you cant help it can you attacking my posts

Sounds like an attack on the poster to me. 

15 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Sounds like an attack on the poster to me. 

Again he doesn't read the post properly ?

Edited by ray c
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Arthur54 said:

in this week's star matt says he will make a decision on his future and the pirates future later on this year

When the Bees packed up I said Ford would be out within 2 years............

10 hours ago, Trackrat said:

I've never been to Oole.

He was only taking the 'p'!:D

Anyway just for clarification if England progress from Saturday's match then there will be NO Poole v Wolves meeting on 11th July. Announced by MF and agreed 100% by/with Chris Van Stratten.

As for the Speedy Star article MF has been considering his and the club's future for the past couple of years so it'll be interesting to see how things develop - moreso as to who might be willing to take the club over at MF's asking price?!

Edited by Skidder1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Anyway just for clarification if England progress from Saturday's match then there will be NO Poole v Wolves meeting on 11th July. Announced by MF and agreed 100% by/with Chris Van Stratten.

As for the Speedy Star article MF has been considering his and the club's future for the past couple of years so it'll be interesting to see how things develop - moreso as to who might be willing to take the club over at MF's asking price?!

Nobody pays the asking price for anything, unless they’re stupid. MF may well have a figure in mind but, a sensible prospective purchaser will carry out his due diligence process and most likely find the real value is miles adrift from that being asked. e.g. not sure what value you would place on an Assett Register full of riders who don’t wish to ride here!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

“asking price”?  Lol

Matt Ford will have to pay someone to take the club off his hands! Seriously, I can see any deal being made on the basis that he underwrites any first year loss or offers some sort of subsidy.

The Rye House collapse, the rubbish Poole team, the aging assets, the countless riders who don’t want to ride for Poole, the track fiasco, the ridiculous last minute cancellation, the wholesale disillusionment of Poole fans, the general decline of speedway and, in all likelihood a financial loss rather than a profit for the club this season, gives the Poole no value.

The only hope is that Shovvy cobbles together a consortium to put his brilliant business ideas into practice.  :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Arthur54 said:

I think Matt will decide depending upon what is agreed at the BSPA in view of what is obviously happening in British Speedway currently.

I think most if not all agree that the sport in its current format is on a very slippery downward slope.

I exchanged a few words with an off guard John Cook at a recent Lakeside meeting in which i said that I thought one big league was the way forward. He commented that his fear was that the big clubs like Poole and Wolves with their finance and large rider asset base would snap up all the available top talent making it virtually impossible for others to compete.

We all know Matt is one of if not the top owner/promoters of recent times and it could maybe be a veiled warning to others in the sport. I.E: Speedway gets its house in order and maybe follows his vision for the sport or he and Poole will walk away from it.

Now, many may not like his idea of how it should be run, but ultimately he has run a successful Club for the years he has been involved so difficult to argue with that. Consider what a so called Prem would look like without say a Poole and maybe other casualties. Basically it won't be.

Speedway for sure needs to take some hard/difficult decisions, but at the same time just as in football, all cannot be  equal as life doesn't work that way. There will always be the have's and the have nots. You need the Manchester City's/Utd/Liverpool/Arsenals as much as you need the smaller clubs. If a top club visits a smaller club its always a big draw when the better players come to town. Just like in Speedway POL/SWE don't have team make up points  totals in their Prem/first or second divisions. They work on the fill with what you want and just make sure you have 2 Pol juniors or Swe nationals in your team.

I would love to see bigger/better supported and well run clubs visit smaller clubs.

I don't profess to have the answer on how you sort it, but sort it has to be done, as when the likes of Matt Ford issue warning (veiled or otherwise) that he will consider both his decision and Poole Speedways decision at the end of the  season, he does not choose such comments lightly. Ultimately even he must be suffering financially after what has been a nightmare season from the start following the loss of the 70th Anniv meeting but not the expense of the big celebration, followed by many rain offs - track issues - non performing riders - Holder situation etc.

Now we hear about RH closing. BSPA cancelling most Champ teams Friday meetings due to problematical rider availability. Good article from Jon Cook on Lakeside website today which I think is fair and open flwg cancellation of the Glasgow meeting. Understand a BSPA Association meeting next week. Let's hope all the promotors/owners turn up as the situation with the sport is serious and needs addressing sooner rather than later in Nov.

So Jon Cook says one league won’t work cos Poole monopolise assets and you think that’s an argument in favour of Poole?  :)

7 minutes ago, DC2 said:

So Jon Cook says one league won’t work cos Poole monopolise assets and you think that’s an argument in favour of Poole?  :)

No just airing an off the cuff comment made and to a degree I see his point.

BUT something has to be done to save the sport. We can't keep going down this slippery slope. Maybe some of the better and successful run clubs in Champ come up to a revamped/redesigned Prem where it is made attractive for all ??

As said I don't have all the answers but we can't afford to lose the likes of Poole or any clubs for that matter. If a well run club like Poole is maybe considering its position what does that say for the rest of the teams who don't enjoy the financial income form Sponsorship that maybe Poole do.

There are enough successful business heads within the BSPA but they have to find common ground on a way forward in a format all can ultimately live with. Its either that or the sport is doomed in its current format. If it also means more flexibility on race nights even if it does mean some of the top riders pass on UK then so be it but for sure something has to be done.

STEVEHOLS54 wrote this "

There are enough successful business heads within the BSPA but they have to find common ground on a way forward in a format all can ultimately live with. Its either that or the sport is doomed in its current format. If it also means more flexibility on race nights even if it does mean some of the top riders pass on UK then so be it but for sure something has to be done."

This is the best comment on the state of speedway in the Uk I have read. We need to encourage the BSPA to go with this. 

I don't believe Matt Ford would walk away due to criticism - he is tougher than that.

Reading his article his fears for the sport are more poignant - he has a perceived value on the Pirates and if things look to be going the way he predicts then obviously he would want to cash out before that value completely disappears - equally he can't say that if he wants a buyer!

The BSPA need to wake up - continually de-grading the product only has one ending - somehow the interest needs to be re-kindled and that means radical change of some sort (I know I don't have the answer either - but I'm not paid to find it!)

• Like 1