British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
False dawn

Greg Hancock Hurt?

I am not a Greg fan but he is the reigning Champion. To not see him offered a wild card would be ridiculous.

• Like 2

Greg was in the top 8 before his injury.

We are only half through the series.

A lot can happen yet.

Bet against Greg reaching the top 8 or who's going to win the championship at your peril. This is going all the way.

I am not a Greg fan but he is the reigning Champion. To not see him offered a wild card would be ridiculous.

But why? He won't be world champion in a month or two, and every year he will bring less and less to the series due to his age. I am really struggling to see the justification.

Out of interest, if Hancock misses the top 8 this season.... surely they would not give him a wildcard at his age? I appreciate he is a World Champion, but he can't really add anything to the series beyond this year?

Thoughts?

Monster Energy are the main backers of the series. Think it's a cert he would get picked

But why? He won't be world champion in a month or two, and every year he will bring less and less to the series due to his age. I am really struggling to see the justification.

Im struggling to understand your arguement. I will leave it there.

You have to question who would get it over Hancock...

Why? Greg have to retire from the SGP sometime and this would be a good year if he misses out on top 8.

It is too early too talk about wild card since the series is only at half time and the GP challenge haven't been run yet and the wild cards

obviously depend on who qualifies or not.

I think that Zagar should get a wild card, SGP needs at least 1 danish rider, MIlik could very well be given a wild card and for the final wild card well it

depends on if they need a 2nd Swede/Dane/Aussie/Russian. It is entirely possible that some of this would be covered by final SGP/GP-challenge standings.

However giving it to Greg would be a waste. He might improve a little for next season but he could just as well be on the decline even more next season.

I remember people saying Greg was on the decline 10 years ago, and he's won 3 championships since then!

With his gating skills and track craft he's always going to win races.

With his gp record of qualifying every year for over 20 years I think it's safe to assume there would be a place for him in the series for a long as he wanted it.

Im a fan of Greg the person, not so much the rider. However I do think after missing only 1 GP in all & being the 2016 WC, it'd be mighty harsh to bin him after just one season not qualifying. As previously said, we all wrote him off when he turned 40, 3 world titles since then.

Not saying I dont get peoples arguments about him being at the back end of his career, but for him not to get at least ONE wild card would be bloody unfair!

Edited by RPNYC

I find Greg dull and the gushing over him nauseating but it would be diabolical not to offer him a wild card if he only just misses out. I don't think he will miss out though.

IF the events unfold the way people are saying,and Greg doesnt make the top 8,i think he might call it quits for his GP career.Im not a fan of Gregs but you have to give the man credit for being on top of his game for so long.Ill still bet that he will keep his league racing going or even go back to the states where they race forever.Greg could even be one of the yougest at Costa Mesa!!!!!

IF the events unfold the way people are saying,and Greg doesnt make the top 8,i think he might call it quits for his GP career.

Yeah, and then he will make out some pathetic excuse like 'I am giving the younger riders a chance.

Yeah, and then he will make out some pathetic excuse like 'I am giving the younger riders a chance.

Well, thats likely to be very true because whoever replaces hinm in the GP's (when he decides to go) is almost certainly likely to be younger then him.

I know hes not finished yet....but what a fantastic career he has had, and still having..

Just seen he is 2nd in the Polish averages. No form dip there.

He's won the world title 2 out of the last 3 years. He would have a better claim for wildcard than any other rider I can think of.

• Like 2