British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
False dawn

Greg Hancock Hurt?

I certainly didnt like what he did last year in the WTC. He rode in getting USA to the Friday night play off then he should have ridden in it. If, at the start of the competition he said he was not riding to give youngsters a chance then fair enough, I can accept that. "Love" for Greg as a rider cooled off after last summer, but that was then.

Having said that, he is the current world champion, still is until the end of the Melbourne GP.

Someone said he was only 2 points inside the top 8 this year.....that is a great achievement no matter who the rider is.

Most on here say this years line up is the most competitive for years, so why pull down someone who was in the lying 7th in the series.

You can say at 48 he is the past. While agreeing he is not the future as he wont be gracing the GPs in 5 years time (IMO), he is the present and age doesnt come into it - performance does, and we all know Hancock could get the right set up and whip the youngsters and teach them a lesson.

Greg for a 2018 wild card - he gets my vote.

The point is, if he can announce he is pulling out of the last two SWC because he wants to give the younger riders a chance (being the kind generous non-selfish man he is), then why can the same not be applied to the SGP by the race organisers? In the SGP he was only just in the top 8 by 2 points. He scored 7 in his last full GP before injury. Yes he may have climbed, but you can't assure me either that form would not have continued and he may well of dropped out of the top 8.

Reading between the lines it looks like he will get the pick anyway. That doesn't meant it can't be challenged.

Last night's GP was fantastic, Hancock was not missed.... so time to move on. He will rightly go down in the history books for being the rider with the most appearances and world titles, but a championship is meant to be ruthless and it can't be run on emotion and history books, it's time to allow someone else to make history, time to move on.

You can challenge his pick if you wish, as I said before to you, there is a children's section for you to do that.

The point is, if he can announce he is pulling out of the last two SWC because he wants to give the younger riders a chance (being the kind generous non-selfish man he is), then why can the same not be applied to the SGP by the race organisers? In the SGP he was only just in the top 8 by 2 points. He scored 7 in his last full GP before injury. Yes he may have climbed, but you can't assure me either that form would not have continued and he may well of dropped out of the top 8.

Reading between the lines it looks like he will get the pick anyway. That doesn't meant it can't be challenged.

Last night's GP was fantastic, Hancock was not missed.... so time to move on. He will rightly go down in the history books for being the rider with the most appearances and world titles, but a championship is meant to be ruthless and it can't be run on emotion and history books, it's time to allow someone else to make history, time to move on.

Change the record its boring now. He is the current world champion. A wild card is a formality should he wish to ride in 2018. Forget his age just pick the best 15 riders.

I heard on BT Sport a discussion saying Holder may or may not get a card. He does not deserve a card as his GP and league form is below standard.

Change the record its boring now. He is the current world champion. A wild card is a formality should he wish to ride in 2018. Forget his age just pick the best 15 riders.

I heard on BT Sport a discussion saying Holder may or may not get a card. He does not deserve a card as his GP and league form is below standard.

Correct. Holder been off Form (Melbourne 2016 aside) for a while now.

Correct. Holder been off Form (Melbourne 2016 aside) for a while now.

He's been off form this year. He was fine last year. In 2016 he made more GP Finals than any other rider.

Along with a few others he seems to have suffered with whatever problems PJR are having this year, and he stuck with them for too long.

Edited by HenryW

He's been off form this year. He was fine last year. In 2016 he made more GP Finals than any other rider.

Along with a few others he seems to have suffered with whatever problems PJR are having this year, and he stuck with them for too long.

That is a good stat. I didn't know Holder had done that well in 2016.

To me he also seems to have lost a significant edge to his riding. He is giving way or shutting off when things get tight, similar to Nicolai Klindt after he had a bad injury. If the bottle starts to go it can be a very hard road back.

So we're debating whether Chris Holder should get a wild card for next year are we? Am I missing something? There are 4 rounds left in this year's championship. Chris is 14 points behind 8th place and should be thinking, "I can more than make that up".

And if you want some perspective on what this thread is really about. Chris is only 7 points ahead of Greg with the benefit of scoring in 3 more rounds. Think on.