British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Cardiff 2018 21st July

On 7/20/2018 at 2:18 AM, waiheke1 said:

FIRST time in 17 years at Cardiff that I have sat in the grandstand. Fantastic night. Cannot beat live sport and the whole package this year was in my opinion exceptional. Being amongst a crowd like that, enjoying chatting with people you have never met before, getting caught umping the whole atmosphere. Just brilliant and on the on-track action was just the icing on the cake. Only minus was the referee who, frankly, I will be surprised to see officiate at another SGP.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Pantomime villain Nicki Pedersen and Woffinden clashed in heat 5. Woffinden was last into the gate. After a restart when fellow Brit Robert Lambert took a painful tumble onto the cinders and was excluded, Woffinden was last out of it and, bike stuttering and spluttering, he finished third out of three when his ignition failed. There was still a territory-marking wheelie.

Learn something new every day, I had no idea the ignition controlled the fuel tap!

Good GP, despite a completely incompetent ref doing his best to ruin it.

• Like 3

Just now, Vince said:

Learn something new every day, I had no idea the ignition controlled the fuel tap!

It doesnt does it?? Tai said he checked the fuel and it was on-so his issues were due to the ignition 

18 minutes ago, Vince said:

As I said last night, Woffindens pit crew failed to turn on his fuel tap. He had to go fishing for it on the first bend and was fine in the heat after that, albeit half a lap behind. The stadium cameras then picked him up giving a bollocking to the tall mechanic who had his arms raised in apologies. Every heat after that he checked his fuel tap as he approached the tape.

I haven’t seen it but on BT he said it was an ignition problem. Clearly wanting to keep any issues “in house” rather than blame his pit crew in public.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Shovlar said:

As I said last night, Woffindens pit crew failed to turn on his fuel tap. He had to go fishing for it on the first bend and was fine in the heat after that, albeit half a lap behind. The stadium cameras then picked him up giving a bollocking to the tall mechanic who had his arms raised in apologies. Every heat after that he checked his fuel tap as he approached the tape.

I haven’t seen it but on BT he said it was an ignition problem. Clearly wanting to keep any issues “in house” rather than blame his pit crew in public.

He said it in-his interview after that race... may well be a lie but its what he said 

I have to say that it was one of the best GPs I have ever seen on TV. Plenty of racing and incidents, and BT’s coverage was top notch. The camera angles gave the impression that it was absolutely rammed.

Closing the roof doesnt help the ventilation but boy does it look like the only place to be on a Saturday night!

Was surprised to see Suzy with Scott, but Natalie seems to know speedway inside out and was perfectly placed in the pits.

Can’t tell you how proud I was to see the British guys all supporting each other. Tai has become a real class act in the last few years, doing the job on AND OFF the track.

And I bloody love Craig Cook. Just hope he’s okay for Galsgow today. ‘Mon the Tigers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

FIRST time in 17 years at Cardiff that I have sat in the grandstand. Fantastic night. Cannot beat live sport and the whole package this year was in my opinion exceptional. Being amongst a crowd like that, enjoying chatting with people you have never met before, getting caught umping the whole atmosphere. Just brilliant and on the on-track action was just the icing on the cake. Only minus was the referee who, frankly, I will be surprised to see officiate at another SGP.

And a least by being there you didn't have to put up with Sir Screamalot (formerly known as Sir Shoutalot)

You'd think he'd never ever seen a rider pass others around the outside before, the way he screamed when Woffinden made such a move

Edited by Midland Red

How quick was Lambert to see what was happening with Cook inside him and get the bike down safely to avoid Cook sliding across the track in front of him? Good to see how many riders (Hancock, Woffinden et al) were quick to go and congratulate Lambert on avoiding what could have been an extremely nasty further development.

Also quite Strange on the replays to see how Doyle’s front wheel seemed to flick inwards before he went over. You would have expected it to splay outwards after any contact- just wonder if there was any failure on the bike.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

getting caught umping the whole atmosphere.

Dirty boy! :o :P

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, coventry1963 said:

How quick was Lambert to see what was happening with Cook inside him and get the bike down safely to avoid Cook sliding across the track in front of him? Good to see how many riders (Hancock, Woffinden et al) were quick to go and congratulate Lambert on avoiding what could have been an extremely nasty further development.

Also quite Strange on the replays to see how Doyle’s front wheel seemed to flick inwards before he went over. You would have expected it to splay outwards after any contact- just wonder if there was any failure on the bike.

The main failure was the referee.

For us Cardiff was great, middle tier 4th bend. sat with some very nice people, a whole family new to speedway, who, thoroughly enjoyed it. Some great Polish families in front of us who were getting so excited.

This really is a spectacle and if it was just given a little more thought it could become a real showcase for speedway. It is noticeable that the Polish  attendees are  a much younger group. The Brits are all that little bit older.  We are watching top level speedway die in our country mainly for the lack of investment. the facilities at most tracks are little better than standing in a field watching Grass track, hence it is less appealing.

There were a few things which could be improved on the Cardiff presentation and experience

1. Don't have a band without a decent PA, the house PA is just not good enough! Really felt sorry for those guys. No one was interested anyway, and insisted on blowing horns .SGP must be able to be a little more creative.

2. Get rid of the screeching female, before the event and during the track grades, she totally failed as no one could tell what language she was yelling The PA  again is not suited to that type of screaming, she tried several times and failed. It was like a really awful wedding DJ, but all in a high pitched whine. It really was torture.

3. Maybe take footballs approach of a couple of refs, like the VAR team, decide what decisions it should be used for.

4. Make more of that fact that the riders are accessible, the rider introductions with them in the crowd was inspiring, this would never happen in other sporting events

5.GWR trains sort yourselves out - couldn't answer questions, had no clue what was going on, couldn't even say what time the next train was, despite the high viz jacket proclaiming " Happy to help"

I am really not a grumpy old man , I just hate watching a sport i love die

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

You're making yourself look a fool.

And what makes you think I don't know him?   He's pretty well known in Speedway (and also well known in Rome where he goes every time Poole choke in the play-offs)

you didn't say 1 person though did you  you didn't aim it at 1 individual 

you said even the people in the pauper pit the smelly people 

obviously now you are having a personal joke with a friend but you have still labelled all in that section the same 

and its still on here that you called them smelly poor people 

you think you were having a joke 

how many sitting in them seats will know you didn't aim your comments at them 

2 minutes ago, scaramanga said:

how many sitting in them seats will know you didn't aim your comments at them 

All of them ...

They will have the intelligence to understand the context in which the joke was made.

• Like 1