British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Cardiff 2018 21st July

Doyles crash    another serious one  caused by  Briggos pension fund 

9 hours ago, Grand Central said:

The parade didn't work at all on TV ... It looked as if there had been no coordination between the organisers and TV people at all ... I just assumed it was tons better in the Stadium. Live.

But perhaps not.

I thought it did work. It was innovative and far more exciting than the riders lining up or trundling around the track. There should be more connection with the fans and that was a start.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I thought it did work. It was innovative and far more exciting than the riders lining up or trundling around the track. There should be more connection with the fans and that was a start.

Good to hear that from someone who was there. The TV people didn't seem to know what was going on so difficult to judge for us back home.

Mind you BSI have usually gone to town on very innovative parades at Cardiff anyway. It has been rare for them to send the riders trundling out. They have done some real spectaculars down the years that have worked really well.

Edited by Grand Central

11 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Didn't go this year, but had plenty of time to catch train back to Swindon last year, think it was 9.00. What time did meeting finish this year? Will seriously consider driving next year if going to miss the finale.

The racing seems to get better each year, vast improvement since I started going in 2005. Good news that ticket prices haven't increased unlike the Premier League. The reason attendances have held up well in Cardiff.

8.26 was the time of the train that is the last London train that covers Bristol, swindon and Reading. We watched the final on a mobile on the platform at around 8.20pm. Past years we have been ok leaving straight after the final and caught it ok. There is a later train to Bristol i believe where one can change and get to Reading but it adds so much time and hassle onto the journey. I’m not sure that all prices haven’t increased- start line middle tier were £105 this year.

4 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I reckon a parade on vintage bikes would  be good ,  there must be 18  reliable  vintage bikes  available . 

21 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Didn't go this year, but had plenty of time to catch train back to Swindon last year, think it was 9.00. What time did meeting finish this year? Will seriously consider driving next year if going to miss the finale.

The racing seems to get better each year, vast improvement since I started going in 2005. Good news that ticket prices haven't increased unlike the Premier League. The reason attendances have held up well in Cardiff.

every year  it looks as though the attendance is bigger ,but when the figures are released  they seem to be the same  

16 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

8.26 was the time of the train that is the last London train that covers Bristol, swindon and Reading. We watched the final on a mobile on the platform at around 8.20pm. Past years we have been ok leaving straight after the final and caught it ok. There is a later train to Bristol i believe where one can change and get to Reading but it adds so much time and hassle onto the journey. I’m not sure that all prices haven’t increased- start line middle tier were £105 this year.

The later train stops at Temple Meads, but long wait for SWindon Reading London connection.

few thoughts after my first time in Cardiff :)

1. I was in cheap seats and couldn't see the big screen, therefore took me good two minutes to realise what's going on with the presentation :D

2. Poles abroad at sporting events are the worst, the local patriotism towards foreign riders wtf? Sat next to a fellow Pole who was going crazy in heat 4 when Emil caught Dudek and then got very close to Zmarzlik. Needless to say he was from Leszno...

3. Went to the fanzone outside the city hall, it was a s*** show. Never again.

4. Great stadium, decent crowd, good racing, a little bit too warm inside the stadium.

5. Terrible refereeing. Heat 4 - should be all 4 restart. Doyle should have been excluded twice, no doubts about that. He was way too slow against the Poles when Magic went down and against Lambert. Awful awful refereeing.

6. I will go back next year :)

Edited by tarkens
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, adonis said:

every year  it looks as though the attendance is bigger ,but when the figures are released  they seem to be the same  

I think its been between 36-46000 since I've been attending.

Only missed one Cardiff GP and though this year was as good as any (maybe Bombers win 2007 slightly topped it.)The riders loved the presentation understandably,but I thought it didn't really work. Maybe needed better spotlight or a firework going off for each rider so we could actually spot them! Although I guess it was pretty cool when I saw Doyle standing 10 feet away!

Racing was very good, referee a moron, shouldn't be allowed at another GP. Cook could well have been on 12 points, there was nothing wrong with his first start. Was funny to see him admit he got it wrong with Greg at the end of the meeting. Dont think Ive seen ref do that in any sport ever!

It was such a great spectacle and the atmosphere just so, so good. Had a first timer with me, he's already asking about other GPs to go watch

On that note so sad that these Glamour GPs are fewer and fewer. I suspect Horsens will go next year and we'll be back at Vojens. To that note an early GP in Manchester should be seriously looked into. Great stadium great track, great City. Only the bloody weather that would be an eternal worry!

Anyway another superb Cardiff weekend now in the History books. Roll on 2019...

12 minutes ago, RPNY said:

Only missed one Cardiff GP and though this year was as good as any (maybe Bombers win 2007 slightly topped it.)The riders loved the presentation understandably,but I thought it didn't really work. Maybe needed better spotlight or a firework going off for each rider so we could actually spot them! Although I guess it was pretty cool when I saw Doyle standing 10 feet away!

Racing was very good, referee a moron, shouldn't be allowed at another GP. Cook could well have been on 12 points, there was nothing wrong with his first start. Was funny to see him admit he got it wrong with Greg at the end of the meeting. Dont think Ive seen ref do that in any sport ever!

It was such a great spectacle and the atmosphere just so, so good. Had a first timer with me, he's already asking about other GPs to go watch

On that note so sad that these Glamour GPs are fewer and fewer. I suspect Horsens will go next year and we'll be back at Vojens. To that note an early GP in Manchester should be seriously looked into. Great stadium great track, great City. Only the bloody weather that would be an eternal worry!

Anyway another superb Cardiff weekend now in the History books. Roll on 2019...

This year was the 1st year of a new 3 year contract for Horsens.

4 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

This year was the 1st year of a new 3 year contract for Horsens.

Ah well I stand corrected!  

Guest GiveusaB

Parade was rubbish imo.....may be good if you could actually see the riders from where you were sitting??????

Out of interest,what did a programme cost?