British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Cardiff 2018 21st July

Thought the intro mediocre. Inside the stadium we didn’t have the faintest idea where the riders actually were around the stadium. Needed darkness with a single spotlight.

Still it was better than the intro a few years back when the riders came out in a stretch limousine to a confused crowd, then got out one at a time. Now that really was crap!

12 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Thought the intro mediocre. Inside the stadium we didn’t have the faintest idea where the riders actually were around the stadium.

That's because you kept moving about :D

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2018 at 12:47 AM, Col said:

Nope. Idiots spend time stating facts that prove an ignoramus from Birmingham who supports Wolves wrong. When he fails to accept facts.

I think Rossiter looks an idiot. His haircut is inappropriate for his years. As he is the team manager of my country, and I care about the perception other nations have of those who represent us. I am allowed to think he looks idiot for sporting such a haircut at his age.

Were he team manager of Poland, Poole, Sweden or Australia I'd probably find it hilarious.

Are you aware that he is in a Communards tribute act?

53 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Are you aware that he is in a Communards tribute act?

No.  Must be a short act, the Communards didn't have much longevity.

Another weekend gone at Cardiff, a few of my thoughts. Thought the fanzone was better this year, live music helps and there were no long gaps in the program of events. I didn't get the rider presentation, for the 2nd year running I had no idea what was going on in a pitch black arena. Keep it simple, Warsaw has the best, line the riders up on the ramp and introduce them onto the stage in the middle of the arena. Also thought there might have been a tribute to Ivan Mauger .As for the  referee lets have the best, not just one that is seen as neutral, if the best referees are from Britain, Sweden, Poland then so be it. Who's idea was it to have the girl on the centre green  screeching and shouting all day. As for the track ,excellent as it has been since we had the Warsaw abandonment .Honestly thought this was Tai Woffinden's  best chance to win,with his current form and 2 inside gates.Not to be but he looks to have sown up this years championship, not sure what drinking champagne out of his boot was all about. On the whole a good weekend, only negative being the price of hotels, that will never change unfortunately.

6 hours ago, New Science said:

Another weekend gone at Cardiff, a few of my thoughts. Thought the fanzone was better this year, live music helps and there were no long gaps in the program of events. I didn't get the rider presentation, for the 2nd year running I had no idea what was going on in a pitch black arena. Keep it simple, Warsaw has the best, line the riders up on the ramp and introduce them onto the stage in the middle of the arena. Also thought there might have been a tribute to Ivan Mauger .As for the  referee lets have the best, not just one that is seen as neutral, if the best referees are from Britain, Sweden, Poland then so be it. Who's idea was it to have the girl on the centre green  screeching and shouting all day. As for the track ,excellent as it has been since we had the Warsaw abandonment .Honestly thought this was Tai Woffinden's  best chance to win,with his current form and 2 inside gates.Not to be but he looks to have sown up this years championship, not sure what drinking champagne out of his boot was all about. On the whole a good weekend, only negative being the price of hotels, that will never change unfortunately.

They tried something different with the presentation of  riders, surely you have watched Cardiff in the past.

On 7/23/2018 at 12:44 AM, stevehone said:

parade was terrible from my point of view, had no idea where any of the riders were except for Garrity who was right behind us.

referee, please retire him off.

i enjoyed the racing

the crowd was the worry in my opinion, seemed noticeably down on previous years, and there was definitely quite a number of Polish supporters missing from previous years. maybe the fact they have 3 'home' GP's has made them stay away?

WHAT, the crowd looked the biggest its been for years..

31 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

WHAT, the crowd looked the biggest its been for years..

were you there?

3 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

They tried something different with the presentation of  riders, surely you have watched Cardiff in the past.

Sure I've been to every GP at Cardiff. All I'm saying is keep it simple. Your introducing the riders to the crowd in attendance not the TV audience. Lets have it in the centre of the stadium with the lights on so we can all see it, not trying to 2nd guess what's happening like the last 2 years

• Like 3

I think overall crowd was similar to last couple of years but there has been a big movement to where people are sitting, the fullest part of stadium now is top tier on 3rd & 4th bendw here the cheapest tickets are. Large portions of middle tier are now empty and looks like they weren't even selling tickets for 6 blocks in upper tier on 1st/2nd bend.

Funny enough we bought the cheapest tickets last week in top rows of 3rd/4th bed, when we went to collect tickets we were given free upgrade to sit in middle tier back straight where all the British flags were, ticket sales there were obviously poor and they were desperate to fill the area for TV cameras.

Well done for getting the upgrade, not so good for people who paid full price, still its similar to getting a room upgrade in a hotel or a flight up grade.

Filled in a survey last night from the official SGP site, usual questions, did you attend the fan zone and for how long, likes and dislikes about the stadium experience, how much you spent during the day per head.

Guest GiveusaB

Most annoying aspect of the GP for me....'the annoying Poles with air horns  that act like tribal thugs in and around the stadium'.....went to Warsaw last year and they're scared to yawn outside the stadium ???

On 7/23/2018 at 8:58 AM, tellboy said:

Got to agree re the parade,couldn't see where any of them come from or even hear them being introduced.

Referee was definitely a disgrace and shouldn't be allowed another Gp.

Racing to me is still so,so just get hooked up with the atmosphere really.

Unsure on the level of attendance,but imo they shouldn't have 3 in Poland anyway.Maybe take one off them and put one at Belle Vue.As i said previously Cardiff has worn a bit thin with me now,but put one at Belle Vue where you know you will get very good racing with these top guys and i think i would attend again.

On 7/23/2018 at 8:58 AM, tellboy said:

Got to agree re the parade,couldn't see where any of them come from or even hear them being introduced.

Referee was definitely a disgrace and shouldn't be allowed another Gp.

Racing to me is still so,so just get hooked up with the atmosphere really.

Unsure on the level of attendance,but imo they shouldn't have 3 in Poland anyway.Maybe take one off them and put one at Belle Vue.As i said previously Cardiff has worn a bit thin with me now,but put one at Belle Vue where you know you will get very good racing with these top guys and i think i would attend again.

Where would all the spectators fit at Belle Vue? What's its capacity? 9,000? I don't know, but someone must.... If 36,000 to 46,000 is roughly Cardiff, it just won't work..