British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Argos

How Ironic

So we can add the Spillars to the Lambert/Woffinden "Britisher than thou" debate...

Bring 'em all on, I say. If they are worthwhile riders and not actually foreign, then the N.L. should welcome them. We have too many

riders in the league who wouldn't have smelled a team place 20 years ago.

Bring 'em all on, I say. If they are worthwhile riders and not actually foreign, then the N.L. should welcome them. We have too many

riders in the league who wouldn't have smelled a team place 20 years ago.

That happens because of the stupid averages system. It can force out a reasonably higher scorer when a team needs to reduce its averages yet allows lower scorers - and obviously riders of lesser ability and talent - to stay in the side because they fit within the scoring system. Crazy - but that's speedway these days.

So we can add the Spillars to the Lambert/Woffinden "Britisher than thou" debate...

I don't think that Daniel Spiller has ever indicated he has any desire not to represent GB at speedway. The simple answer why he is currently racing on a German licence is as I see it a matter of convenience. He and his brother were taken as children by their parents to Germany where they now live. Currently their main speedway racing is in Germany, therefore for practical reasons a German licence is a necessity at the present time.

Edited by Guest

The main reason why they are not riding over here is because of education. As their parents want them obviously to have a back up in life aswell as speedway.

Australian Matt Marson had is average reduced from 5 to 3 allthough he rode in the Australian Speedway Championships, and Daniel Spiller rode for Eastbourne in 2015 and as my post mentioned,last week he won the German Under 21 Championship, which now means he can only ride for Germany in the future so our NL was used to train a future Germany rider and every meeting he rode in for Eastbourne deprived a English rider of experience

Rune Holta rode for Poland after riding for his native Norway. Rory Schlein is now racing as a Brit having represented Australia internationally. It means nothing of the sort.

I think rather than Rune Holta a far better example in this case is Joonas Kylmäkorpi.He was born in Sweden of Finnish parents.Won the Swedish U21 championship,but went on to represent Finland and i think finally changed back to being Swedish.....he had dual citizenship

So it entirely possible for someone with British heritage to win the German U21 championship and still go on to represent GB.Not sure what Daniel or Ethans wish is for the future,but to be honest i think they won't get to a level where we will be worried that they didn't choose GB if they go for riding for Germany.As for Daniel taking a Brits place,well surely that was reciprocated by Robert Lambert riding in Germany from the age of about 15.......

Edited by iris123