British Speedway Forum
mickthemuppet

Capacity Of Uk Speedway Stadiums

The new BV track was built within the confines of established buildings or other sports facilities. Morton and Gordon designed the best track they could within those confines, and what a brilliant job they did.

On the other hand, it seems Leicester missed a trick at Beaumont Park. They seem to have the space and a blank canvess, but not enough thought put into the design of the track, if there had been then perhaps Leicester would have been another "BV" and up for consideration for major FIM events. Sad really.

Odsal had 37 k there for the final I saw. Not really an option now but there you had capacity and track suitable for major events. The RL team is up and down like a yoyo and must wonder about GP/WTC income it has lost.

On the other hand, it seems Leicester missed a trick at Beaumont Park. They seem to have the space and a blank canvess, but not enough thought put into the design of the track, if there had been then perhaps Leicester would have been another "BV" and up for consideration for major FIM events. Sad really.

Plenty of thought went into the track, but Hemsley got it wrong. Probably why Ermolenko fell out with him.

Odsal had 37 k there for the final I saw. Not really an option now but there you had capacity and track suitable for major events. The RL team is up and down like a yoyo and must wonder about GP/WTC income it has lost.

Odsal, - there was a stadium ! Built with a 120,000 capacity, set a 102,000 record (for Rugby in 1954) and its speedway record of 47,000 in 1947.

I remember driving spirally down the bowl to the pits in the 1970 period.

Edited by britmet
  • Like 1

Cowley Stadium attracted a reported 10,000 for the Australia vs. Poland International in 1973...but personally I think that was an over estimation although it was packed solid I remember!

• Like 1

As Ipswich have had up to 15,000 for world stock car finals and now have addition seating on the bacK straight surely this is higher than any Speedway track in UK

Newport's Somerton park allegedly had 20,000 for a Great Britain v Soviet Russia test match in 1965, I was there but only 7 so can't remember a thing

Derwent Park has an official capacity of 10,000, would be a bit less for the speedway as certain parts at the front get cordoned off.

Kent has 2000 seats, not sure on total capacity but must be in the 6k - 10k range.

Kent has 2000 seats, not sure on total capacity but must be in the 6k - 10k range.

And what is the average number watching a meeting please ?

And what is the average number watching a meeting please ?

6 - 10

• Like 2

6 - 10

Now that made me laugh ch958. :t::rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like 1