British Speedway Forum
mickthemuppet

Capacity Of Uk Speedway Stadiums

How many stadiums in the UK were purpose built for speedway? Many stadiums where speedway takes place were built and dished for multi-sport?

​I know that I will miss somewhere out but the only purpose built venues originally primarily built and designed for speedway IMO are Belle Vue, Somerset, Plymouth, Isle of Wight, Buxton, Scunthorpe, Ipswich, Mildenhall. The one with the biggest capacity of these is probably Ipswich.

Edited by Guest

How many stadiums in the UK were purpose built for speedway? Many stadiums where speedway takes place were built and dished for multi-sport?

​I know that I will miss somewhere out but the only purpose built venues originally primarily built and designed for speedway IMO are Belle Vue, Somerset, Plymouth, Isle of Wight, Buxton, Scunthorpe, Ipswich, Mildenhall. The one with the biggest capacity of these is probably Ipswich.

Wasn't Coventry purpose built for speedway? Not sure if that's considered defunct yet.

Wasn't Coventry purpose built for speedway? Not sure if that's considered defunct yet.

I think the same applied to Oxford when the grass tracking community were looking for an alternative venue to their usual site (Sandford-on-Thames) prior to the Second World War.

Don't forget Redcar. :t::)

Don't forget Redcar. :t::)

Add in Coventry and Redcar to my initial list. And now I think we can also add Leicester?

Add in Coventry and Redcar to my initial list. And now I think we can also add Leicester?

some would argue that the last thing Leicester was purpose built for was Speedway....
  • Like 1

some would argue that the last thing Leicester was purpose built for was Speedway....

:rofl: :rofl: Naughty!! :t::rofl: :rofl:

Pretty sure Coventry and also Sheffield were purpose built with dog tracks added later. Interesting that the capacity of most UK stadia is around the 8,000 mark. At a fan forum someone once asked Ian Thomas the average crowd at the Boulevard and he replied "439, but 3,000 climb over the wall each week !"....

Pretty sure Coventry and also Sheffield were purpose built with dog tracks added later. Interesting that the capacity of most UK stadia is around the 8,000 mark. At a fan forum someone once asked Ian Thomas the average crowd at the Boulevard and he replied "439, but 3,000 climb over the wall each week !"....

Is that what he told the tax man

UPDATED: Tracks primarily built and designed for speedway:

Belle Vue, Redcar, Coventry, Sheffield Leicester, Somerset, Plymouth, Isle of Wight, Buxton, Scunthorpe, Ipswich, Mildenhall.

The one with the biggest capacity of these is probably Ipswich.

Belle Vue, Redcar, Coventry, Sheffield Leicester, Somerset, Plymouth, Isle of Wight, Buxton, Scunthorpe, Ipswich, Mildenhall.

What was the capacity at New Cross?

Our sadly missed Dudley wood stadium was purpose built.( I think)?

On another thread there is a debate on could any other stadium in UK stage another GP. How big is the capacity of the different stadiums. I would think Ipswich would be one of the biggest

It's nice to see items about possible purpose-built tracks of the past, but my understanding is this thread is about current purpose-built modern speedways which are purpose built and suitable for staging a GP. Most of them are not and capacity wise Ipswich would appear to be the best.

But what an embarssmnt for speedway should Foxhall Heath ever be considered. With all the criticisms made about small oval car/stock car racing having to make a possible deal with possibly that sport's biggest promoter Spedeworth Motorsports - although they are not anti-speedway.

Edited by Guest

If we mentioning defunct tracks, Newport's Hayley stadium was purpose built as Caermarthen's show ground home. Both much missed by me

It's worrying that so many purpose built venues over the years have been closed

Says something about the sport

Edited by Ken Morgan
  • Like 1

If we mentioning defunct tracks, Newport's Hayley stadium was purpose built as Caermarthen's show ground home. Both much missed by me

It's worrying that so many purpose built venues over the years have been closed

Says something about the sport

Possibly what you mention is that because of the overheads needed in maintaining a large stadium basically they need to be multi-use?