British Speedway Forum
mickthemuppet

Capacity Of Uk Speedway Stadiums

Horsens in Denmark has a capacity of 10,400. At the recent GP there the attendance looked short of it's capacity, a second GP in GB wouldn't look out of place at the NSS which has the potential capacity of 10,000. Granted Ippo may or may not hold more fans, but for a GP, what better track than the NSS.

• Like 2

Horsens in Denmark has a capacity of 10,400. At the recent GP there the attendance looked short of it's capacity, a second GP in GB wouldn't look out of place at the NSS which has the potential capacity of 10,000. Granted Ippo may or may not hold more fans, but for a GP, what better track than the NSS.

Ipswich would hold more fans but there is no doubt the NSS would be the best track to hold it on.

As a Witches fan though it would very interesting to see how the top boys handled a smallish, tight but grippy track...

Still gping slightly sideways away from modern venues, think Ipswich was also purpose built. When the track initially closed and the late John Berry & the late Joe Thurley looked at re-opening speedway and climbed over the Foxhall fence late one nite for a look see, they found the original speedway track had been tarmacced over. Hence the newer speedway track being inside the stock car circuit ever since....

UPDATED: Tracks primarily built and designed for speedway:

Belle Vue, Redcar, Coventry, Sheffield Leicester, Somerset, Plymouth, Isle of Wight, Buxton, Scunthorpe, Ipswich, Mildenhall.

The one with the biggest capacity of these is probably Ipswich.

Still gping slightly sideways away from modern venues, think Ipswich was also purpose built. When the track initially closed and the late John Berry & the late Joe Thurley looked at re-opening speedway and climbed over the Foxhall fence late one nite for a look see, they found the original speedway track had been tarmacced over. Hence the newer speedway track being inside the stock car circuit ever since....

Ipswich was already included in my list - but many thanks for the reminder.

There has been a few of us recently discussing how great it would be if Foxhall could be altered to incorporate what is now the stock car track and wishing we were old enough to have witnessed racing when the original set up was in place.

A total pipe dream but if only....

Our sadly missed Dudley wood stadium was purpose built.( I think)?

That's interesting re Cradley Heath. Can anyone confirm - or otherwise - please? However, the thread is actually in regard to tracks that are still operational - or considered to be at the moment i.e Coventry.

There has been a few of us recently discussing how great it would be if Foxhall could be altered to incorporate what is now the stock car track and wishing we were old enough to have witnessed racing when the original set up was in place.

A total pipe dream but if only....

Very much a pipe dream! The speedway are only the tenants of the long-term leaseholders Spedeworth Motorsports who are small oval car racing promoters.

Edited by Guest

Simple fact is,no other stadium will host an extra GP.Either Cardiff hosts it,and that is never near full or the attendance drops so low, it is not possible to host it there so it will be moved to Manchester

IoW was not purpose built for speedway, it was formerly a cricket ground.

How many stadiums in the UK were purpose built for speedway? Many stadiums where speedway takes place were built and dished for multi-sport?

​I know that I will miss somewhere out but the only purpose built venues originally primarily built and designed for speedway IMO are Belle Vue, Somerset, Plymouth, Isle of Wight, Buxton, Scunthorpe, Ipswich, Mildenhall. The one with the biggest capacity of these is probably Ipswich.

Not totally accurate. Isle of Wight was the home of Ryde Sports Football Club, who folded during the season just before the speedway moved in. The previous season they finished 4th in the Wessex league, above both Eastleigh and Gosport, who were both in National League divisions last season; albeit Gosport were relegated in the end.

Ipswich was already included in my list - but many thanks for the reminder.

Yea not read properly. Guess most new tracks, or stadia, are purpose built as there are not many existing dog tracks, stock car tracks or ball game grounds left than can incorporate or even want a speedway track. More's the pity....

That's interesting re Cradley Heath. Can anyone confirm - or otherwise - please? However, the thread is actually in regard to tracks that are still operational - or considered to be at the moment i.e Coventry.

Dudley Wood Stadium was indeed purpose built for Speedway - on the site of an old fairground. Opened in June 1947 with an estimated crowd of 12,000.

Belle Vue, Redcar, Coventry, Sheffield Leicester, Somerset, Plymouth, Buxton, Scunthorpe, Ipswich, Mildenhall.

Belle Vue, Redcar, Coventry, Sheffield Leicester, Somerset, Plymouth, Isle of Wight, Buxton, Scunthorpe, Ipswich, Mildenhall.

The one with the biggest capacity of these is probably Ipswich.

Eastbourne was purposely built for speedway with the stock car track added later, started the speedway track in 1929 with Charlie Dugard taking full control in 1935.

Edited by M.D
  • Like 1

Guest compost

I thought Swindon (Blunsdon) was purpose built for Speedway with dogs coming later.

On defunct tracks - I also thought Reading (Smallmead) was purpose built and based on Wembley's track and Aldershot (Tongham) & Hull (Heddon) built for Speedway. Would not Rye House's original track and California (Wokingham) have been purpose built for Speedway ?

Edit : Apologies for going off topic - I was responding to another posting on this thread and forget the protocols.

Edited by compost