Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
mickthemuppet

Capacity Of Uk Speedway Stadiums

What about Iwade and the training tracks for instance in or near Workington and Linlithgow?

Edited by iris123

I thought Swindon (Blunsdon) was purpose built for Speedway with dogs coming later.

On defunct tracks - I also thought Reading (Smallmead) was purpose built and based on Wembley's track and Aldershot (Tongham) & Hull (Heddon) built for Speedway. Would not Rye House's original track and California (Wokingham) have been purpose built for Speedway ?

Can't believe I forgot that one :o. Without being too pedantic it's spelt Hedon, but pronounced 'Heddon', if you see what I mean. I know, time to get my coat. 68 years on, not surprisingly no trace left whatsoever left, justs a ploughed field though from aerial views it can made out the where the track was if one knows exactly where to look....

Edited by Martin Mauger

Can't believe I forgot that one :o. Without being too pedantic it's spelt Hedon, but pronounced 'Heddon', if you see what I mean. I know, time to get my coat. 68 years on, not surprisingly no trace left whatsoever left, justs a ploughed field though from aerial views it can made out the where the track was if one knows exactly where to look....

From arial views it is sometimes possible to see stone age or roman,viking structures etc,so as long as something hasn't been built on 68 years isn't very long at all.....

On another thread there is a debate on could any other stadium in UK stage another GP. How big is the capacity of the different stadiums. I would think Ipswich would be one of the biggest

In my updates in regard to the comment by mickthemuppet as OP, I have always assumed the query to be in relation to current UK tracks suitable to stage a GP?

However, with so many tracks being put forward that have not been operational for years, I now wonder what the thread is all about? :unsure:

In my updates in regard to the comment by mickthemuppet as OP, I have always assumed the query to be in relation to current UK tracks suitable to stage a GP?

However, with so many tracks being put forward that have not been operational for years, I now wonder what the thread is all about? :unsure:

You just seem to be compiling a list of purpose built tracks,instead of tracks suitable to host a GP,so my guess is as good as yours :P:rofl:

• Like 2

You just seem to be compiling a list of purpose built tracks,instead of tracks suitable to host a GP,so my guess is as good as yours :P:rofl:

You win! I formally withdraw from the thread debate! :lol:

Wasn't the National Speedway Stadium built for this purpose - for main/major event speedway activities? :icon_smile_clown:

Why the clown face? The NSS has more than enough capacity for any domestic speedway meeting. With temp seating enough to host the SWC.

So the only thing it's not big enough to host is a GP, though if it did it would still have one of the highest GP attendances outside of Poland and Cardiff.

But surely it would have been madness to build a 40k seater on the basis of possibly getting a GP and filling it for one meeting, but having a 95% empty stadium for regular meetings?

So perhaps you can clarify who the clown is?

• Like 1

Our sadly missed Dudley wood stadium was purpose built.( I think)?

It wasnt it was originally a football stadium.

The origins of the track date back to 1917 when the Cradley Heath St Lukes Football Club built a new ground after the First World War because the lease at their previous ground had expired. They found farmland that was suitable for a pitch and constructed a basic football ground and stadium east of the Dudley Wood Road.[3]

I'm surprised it's as much as that tbh.

The capacity was probably close to Starmans figure before the terraced stand along the back straight was demolished to make way for the new one that has no spectator capacity, just a dogs betting area and restaurant with a couple of steps outside.

I've only been a couple of times since it's demise as I've no wish to arrive 3 hours before start time in order to find a place between the spread out tartan blankets on a back breaking bench in that old main stand or stand at track level on a bend.

It wasnt it was originally a football stadium.

The origins of the track date back to 1917 when the Cradley Heath St Lukes Football Club built a new ground after the First World War because the lease at their previous ground had expired. They found farmland that was suitable for a pitch and constructed a basic football ground and stadium east of the Dudley Wood Road.[3]

Interesting. I had it in the back of my mind (a very cluttered place) that it was a football pitch. But Peter Foster's history of the club had a different story as mentioned by myself earlier in this thread. i.e. purpose built behind the Victoria Brewery. My Dad arrives this evening for a wee visit - he should know.

Any track that has an FIM licence. Only problem is you'd have to restrict capacity.

Leicester has an FIM licence but the capacity is only 4500

The new BV track was built within the confines of established buildings or other sports facilities. Morton and Gordon designed the best track they could within those confines, and what a brilliant job they did.

On the other hand, it seems Leicester missed a trick at Beaumont Park. They seem to have the space and a blank canvess, but not enough thought put into the design of the track, if there had been then perhaps Leicester would have been another "BV" and up for consideration for major FIM events. Sad really.

The money ran out at Leicester

Leicester has an FIM licence but the capacity is only 4500

The money ran out at Leicester

Surely it was ot lack of money that caused such a recognised poor track layout, which has had to be severely modified, and still not considered a good race track. Thats what I meant when I said Leicester seemed to have missed a trick.

Have a good race track, good promotion, that will surely bring in fans (if in a speedway area) which means more money to spend on the amenities in time.

Surely it was ot lack of money that caused such a recognised poor track layout, which has had to be severely modified, and still not considered a good race track. Thats what I meant when I said Leicester seemed to have missed a trick.

Have a good race track, good promotion, that will surely bring in fans (if in a speedway area) which means more money to spend on the amenities in time.

That sums it all up really. If you have a decent Team and all of that in Speedway - you have everything.

Except an Independent body to manage the Sport.

Surely it was ot lack of money that caused such a recognised poor track layout, which has had to be severely modified, and still not considered a good race track.

Why does it cost more to make a good track layout than a poor one? I could understand if it had to fit into an existing stadium or had other constraints, but it can't be that difficult to go and look at a few tracks considered 'good' and work out some ideal parameters.

.... it can't be that difficult to go and look at a few tracks considered 'good' and work out some ideal parameters.

Its agreeing what's 'good' that's the problem. Different folk have different views.

Does anyone think he set about building Leicester so that it wouldn't be good ?

Yes, it clearly is difficult !

Edited by britmet