British Speedway Forum
mickthemuppet

Capacity Of Uk Speedway Stadiums

Surely it was ot lack of money that caused such a recognised poor track layout, which has had to be severely modified, and still not considered a good race track. Thats what I meant when I said Leicester seemed to have missed a trick.

Have a good race track, good promotion, that will surely bring in fans (if in a speedway area) which means more money to spend on the amenities in time.

Why does it cost more to make a good track layout than a poor one? I could understand if it had to fit into an existing stadium or had other constraints, but it can't be that difficult to go and look at a few tracks considered 'good' and work out some ideal parameters.

Sorry HA, I missed the n at the beginning of the 4th word. Should have read "Surely it was not lack of money that caused such a recognised poor track layout" I agree with what else you said.

Dave Morton and Chris Morton took the effort to design a track for BV by going studying successful race tracks around the europe and maybe elsewhere, and put what they found into practice despite the track had restrictions of size due to other buildings already in place. Leicester looks if they had an open field to go at.

Its agreeing what's 'good' that's the problem. Different folk have different views.

Does anyone think he set about building Leicester so that it wouldn't be good ?

Yes, it clearly is difficult !

The issue by all accounts is not listening to those who understood what as needed to make a good track. It's not rocket science - don't make the straights too long or the turns too sharp and make sure there is enough width? Model it on a track that has a similar size to work with that produces good racing.

Belle Vue did it the right way.

The evidence for this is the excellent Racing at the Track.

Their template should be used in any future (hopefully) new purpose built Tracks/Stadia.

Surely it was ot lack of money that caused such a recognised poor track layout, which has had to be severely modified, and still not considered a good race track. Thats what I meant when I said Leicester seemed to have missed a trick.

Have a good race track, good promotion, that will surely bring in fans (if in a speedway area) which means more money to spend on the amenities in time.

I dont know whether you have visited Beaumont Park this year but the racing is much improved now that both ends of the track have been adjusted. There was even several good races in the white wash of Kings Lynn recently.