British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Star Lady

King's Lynn Vs Wolverhampton 26/7/2017

I think what the riders did was unprofessional. Buster IMHO has a perfect right to tell the truth about why tonights meeting has been called off. Riders have to realise their actions have consequences.

Fans have complained that they have been kept in the dark, me included, Buster now says it how it is and you call him unprofessional. You can't have it both ways.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/king-s-lynn-stars-chief-pulls-plug-on-meeting-as-rob-lyon-takes-a-step-back-1-5123163?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

words from Rob Lyon

I think it is indiscreet rather than unprofessional and it is not likely to make the situation any better.

I think Buster has made the right decision if he thinks the track won't be perfect after morning rain. Kings Lynn certainly don't want another shambles like the other week.

You simply can't have a situation where meetings are called off because the track isn't perfect because you will be postponing probably about half your fixtures. Weather conditions are such that you just can't do that every week.

While I would maintain that some riders should think about whether they should be riding at all if they are reluctant to do so on anything that is even remotely second grade, promoters bear a responsibility to ensure that they track is as good as it can be - and that responsibility is to riders and fans alike.

The shambles of the other week is at least down in part to an awful track surface that required a significant amount of remedial work during the meeting.

Chapman might be going on about the potential repercussions of sponsorship if riders refuse to ride but even if they did if the track was terrible the damage would be almost as great.

Buster should have pulled the stars out of the league and kept the young stars going. At least the NL boys have a go when track conditions are far from ideal.

• Like 2

Buster should have pulled the stars out of the league and kept the young stars going. At least the NL boys have a go when track conditions are far from ideal.

Wow :rofl: All for a couple of riders..What about the other riders with contracts,what about sponsors etc.

Edited by Bald Bloke

Wow :rofl: All for a couple of riders..What about the other riders with contracts,what about sponsors etc.

my post was tongue in cheek, honest!

Very honest heartfelt article in my opinion. 5 miles from the track and we have had rain. I just hope holders actions on that night along with others aren't looked back on as the turning point of this club. I'd be gutted if we drop leagues like Eastbourne and lakeside. Even more gutted if we lose it completely. The club needs us to rally round and support it more than ever right now I recon.

Sucks that people are sticking the knife in

• Like 2

Very honest heartfelt article in my opinion. 5 miles from the track and we have had rain. I just hope holders actions on that night along with others aren't looked back on as the turning point of this club. I'd be gutted if we drop leagues like Eastbourne and lakeside. Even more gutted if we lose it completely. The club needs us to rally round and support it more than ever right now I recon.

Sucks that people are sticking the knife in

I hope not.From Busters statement it seems like a few riders with no nads who think they can do what they like and not ride at track that a lot lesser rider can(no disrespect)

We know the 2 main riders.They earn to much abroad.......Get rid

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 1

I hope we hear from Dale soon, this team is his team, he knows them and has worked more closely with them than anyone. Fingers crossed his tests find nothing and it was the stress of the night only, how the club needs him back.

Already some Buster comments on there and TBH it's hard to disagree with him.

Wonder whether Chris Holders promised statement will appear anytime soon :P

He's waiting for Darcy's first.

• Like 1

I agree with previous posts that it will be a big surprise to see Holder back at Kings Lynn.

What on earth is going on there though, not so long back Kings Lynn was a very popular and seemingly we'll run club?

Now they can't seem to get the track right, the riders are not happy and I used to be a big fan of buster but why does it always have to be the case that you think the right man is in charge and then he changes and causes so much trouble for himself and the club.

In his position he in my opinion should have nothing to do with a club, I'm amazed holder didn't get a 2 month ban the way he speaks about him but with out actually naming holder. What ever you think of what happened last week, if there is one rider who won't risk getting injured is Chris Holder and I can't blame him. He has been effected by Darcy's crash and these bikes don't need any excuse to start lifting in a corner. On a track where the dirt hasn't mixed well and is patchy grippy then slick why go out and risk being out for weeks. Why has it become so hard to get a track right?

To come out with the statement why tonight's meeting was cancelled is not very professional, not something the head of British speedway should be coming out with. A way to annoy many riders I'd guess, but these guys want to race speedway not motocross. We as fans want to see racing not riders trying to get round 4 laps without falling off.

Sad to see and I feel for kings Lynn fans.

If the promotors feel it's ok to race on then let's see them hop on a bike and do a few laps.

Fans asked for Buster to be honest.And he was.He did what the fans asked.All the Lynn fans want is that he tells it like it is.

• Like 2

All the Lynn fans want is that he tells it like it is.

This is "Like it is"?

“After the events of a fortnight ago and what happened with the riders I’m petrified about it happening again,” he said. “We had our biggest ever meeting sponsor lined up tonight with corporate entertaining and there’s no way I was going to risk riders arriving and not fancying the conditions again".

Who is in charge? Well this quote seems to settle that argument. When did "Riders not fancying the conditions" determine if a meeting should be called off? If the KL promotion are that much under the will of certain riders, they had better pack it in.

I despair.

• Like 1

I agree with previous posts that it will be a big surprise to see Holder back at Kings Lynn.

What on earth is going on there though, not so long back Kings Lynn was a very popular and seemingly we'll run club?

Now they can't seem to get the track right, the riders are not happy and I used to be a big fan of buster but why does it always have to be the case that you think the right man is in charge and then he changes and causes so much trouble for himself and the club.

In his position he in my opinion should have nothing to do with a club, I'm amazed holder didn't get a 2 month ban the way he speaks about him but with out actually naming holder. What ever you think of what happened last week, if there is one rider who won't risk getting injured is Chris Holder and I can't blame him. He has been effected by Darcy's crash and these bikes don't need any excuse to start lifting in a corner. On a track where the dirt hasn't mixed well and is patchy grippy then slick why go out and risk being out for weeks. Why has it become so hard to get a track right?

To come out with the statement why tonight's meeting was cancelled is not very professional, not something the head of British speedway should be coming out with. A way to annoy many riders I'd guess, but these guys want to race speedway not motocross. We as fans want to see racing not riders trying to get round 4 laps without falling off.

If the promotors feel it's ok to race on then let's see them hop on a bike and do a few laps.

Bikes need changing to a larger flywheel as they used to be to give less revs and more torque, then they will be able to deal with a deeper track and ruts without taking off.

• Like 1

We as fans want to see racing not riders trying to get round 4 laps without falling off.

I was there on "Meltdown Thursday". I saw riders racing hard and posting times not seen in many a year (within half a second of Nicki Pedersen's 15 year old track record) before the redial work between heats 8 and 9.

The fans I spoke to all had the same opinion. We had seen much, much worse conditions before and the riders should get on with it. There wasn't a scant regard for safety, the track was safe and there to be ridden.

Edited by False dawn
  • Like 3

Cant help thinking, everyone is missing the point here. As an old supporter I can say, we have been privileged to have watched exciting speedway on a brilliant track. Unfortunately them days are long gone... Each and everyone of us have moaned in our time, of the way the track has evolved into a 'gate-go' exercise, where a good gate is enough to ensure a win. Gone are the days when fans wanted their Star riders to miss the gate to initiate brilliant rides from the back. What we have in these recent years is a shadow of the exciting sport it once was.

The match against Poole the track was poor. In each of the first 5 Gate / Go races at least 1 rider pulled up. When the track got wet, it became more difficult to race. Heat 6 we had the multi crash where 3 came off. highlighting the difficulty the riders faced. I'm not condoning some riders actions, but this situation of them and us should never have happened.. Its all very well Buster posting all the blame on some riders but he must shoulder part of the blame as well. The whole situation was badly managed, leadership was non-existent and where personalities were the governing factor..

The British weather can never be relied upon to be comply with our wishes, so to me it is paramount the track has to be prepared so that it's racable in adverse conditions. Not being a professional trackman, I don't know of all the workings needed or available to produce the ideal raceway, But over the years I watched tractors going round and round, so don't imagine it's too difficult, especially when all the equipment needed is on hand.. Recently, we hear talk that we are using 'Clay based Shale' From a layman, my experience with clay would be a big NO-NO. As soon as Clay become wet it becomes very sticky and sodden, the worse possible covering a race rack would ever want. Once wet it takes forever to dry...

We need to get back to the old days when Fans and Riders would come Saddlebow Road and be confident the place would provide the platform they require. and the happenings of two weeks back would never have existed . Probably then the fans would return in the numbers we once enjoyed....

• Like 2

Its about time Promoters/Managers got down to doing their jobs and riders got down to riding. There has to be some sort of organisation, obviously with a bit of discussion, but if everyone went to work in any type of job and said "I dont fancy it today" and the boss says "OK" chaos will ensue. Like it or not someone has to be in charge. My personal opinion is that only the Referee should be able to call off the meeting, If its been raining for days and the track is waterlogged/unridable due to weather conditions the Promotion should call the BSPA and ask for an official to inspect the track, or at the very least send photos via email for an official to look at, or if it has been raining during the day of the meeting when the Referee arrives he should make the decision.

I appreciate riders and many fans have to travel long distances to meetings but if the weather is that bad us fans do have some common sense (sometimes more than the powers that be) and can make our own decisions. The riders unfortunately will have to accept late call offs as part and parcel of the job that they do. Clear lines must be drawn between employer and employee for everyones sake.

Edited by hammer1969
  • Like 5