British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Somerset V Wolverhampton Wednesday August 9th

Definitely Postponed until a later date due to poor weather forecast. :(

Rain? What rain? Any showers look like they are going to miss ota. Bad call imo.

Rain? What rain? Any showers look like they are going to miss ota. Bad call imo.

Thats the way the sport is going,they would be worried that a wet track and the riders will complain.Its soon going to be any rain forecast for the WEEK and the meetings will be called off.!!!

Disappointing call. The forecast is certainly much improved today.

Anyone know whether the Track covers Somerset had last week, were borrowed or now owned by the Club?

Seems a bit odd this decision, as like others have said it looks ok now for the rest of the day.

Can't help but think these rain offs and poor fixture planning will be detrimental to attendances.

5 weeks now without a home league meeting...crazy.

Football season now upon us...August holiday season as well.

Hopefully it won't...but I know my arrangements and disposable income will be further stretched with other attractions I wish to attend in coming weeks.

So many choices for people these days to spend their hard earned on and enjoy.

• Like 1

Disappointing call. The forecast is certainly much improved today.

Can't win with sometimes can you ???!!! If they went ahead and it turned bad as it is forecast you'd be moaning the other way. Strewth !!!

• Like 1

Can't win with sometimes can you ???!!! If they went ahead and it turned bad as it is forecast you'd be moaning the other way. Strewth !!!

It's the year 2017...All speedway Clubs should have invested in track protection from the elements. Just like they have with airfences.

It is absolutely ridiculous that Speedway has been running all these years, and they still haven't found a way of riding in wet conditions or protecting the track properly.

No wonder speedway is losing fans...people get fed up with it and find other things to do that is reliable.

How does a Professional Sport run that is dependent on weather conditions, without at least trying to find a way to lessen the blow?

I shake my head sometimes...how do Promoters expect fans to keep loyal to a Club, when poor fixture planning and the slightest hint of rain means no Speedway for weeks on end?

• Like 2

It's the year 2017...All speedway Clubs should have invested in track protection from the elements. Just like they have with airfences.

It is absolutely ridiculous that Speedway has been running all these years, and they still haven't found a way of riding in wet conditions or protecting the track properly.

For the first 40 years for a meeting to be cancelled it had to be torrential rain or the track so flooded that it couldn't be pumped away in time.

However, as they say these days, we are where we are and covers are now a necessity. We are told that part of the agreement with our new owners is that the Council will provide covers in time for next season. We shall see.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 2

No wonder speedway is losing fans...people get fed up with it and find other things to do that is reliable.

How does a Professional Sport run that is dependent on weather conditions, without at least trying to find a way to lessen the blow?

I shake my head sometimes...how do Promoters expect fans to keep loyal to a Club, when poor fixture planning and the slightest hint of rain means no Speedway for weeks on end?

I think the riders might have something to say about riding in wet conditions, a bit like lying on the beach in pouring rain trying to get a sun tan !!! :rofl:

Good that they have made an earlier decision to prevent unnecessary travel.

• Like 1

I think the riders might have something to say about riding in wet conditions, a bit like lying on the beach in pouring rain trying to get a sun tan !!! :rofl:

What has it got to do with the riders having a say fella? They have far too much influence imo.

I'm fed up with the safety issue being used as a 'poor me' card. It's used to often when it suits them. A great deal of Speedway riders, ride bikes for fun in their spare time and do what we think is foolish. It's in their blood and how many of them get their kicks. If Speedway didn't exist, they'd be doing some other mad adrenalin fuelled sport and taking massive risks.

There is nothing wrong in riding in wet conditions...you race according to the conditions. It happens in other sports, yet Speedway seems to shut down at the slightest hint of the wet stuff...which is madness, especially in this Country where it rains so much.

They may not like getting wet and dirty...but tough. If it's raceable...then race...even if it means adjusting to conditions and racing slower and with more caution.

Soon there will be no speedway as we know it, and no living to make, if these riders keep making the call.

Tin hat on waiting for the shells to come in ;-)

• Like 3

Definitely Postponed until a later date due to poor weather forecast. :(

Damned if you do and damned if you don`t. In my opinion the management are 100% correct.

I am in the area this week on holiday and was hoping to go tonight + really looking forward to it as I have heard so much positive feedback on the racing at OTA.

The weather forecast was pretty poor, but has improved as the day has gone on, and we have only had a couple of light showers earlier today. I understand making an early decision, but it does seem to have been made very early today. Unfortunately, I won't have another chance to go this time