British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
topaz325

Workington V Glasgow 29/07/17 7:00pm Champ.

I thought McGregor had a mixed meeting rather than a bad one and it was Glasgow that were on the end of the poor decisions. Harris and Jorgensen deserved to be put off 15 metres as both were warned. Heat 3 should have been re run - you don't have to have a faller for thete to be first bend bunching. In heat 9, Perry hit the tapes first, not Summers.

Having said that, this was a cracker of a meeting that had the lot and really proved you don't necessarily need passing to see brilliant races.

gotts disagree with the first bend thing yes many refs might have pulled it back

but worrall hampered himself and inturn bewley but they wernt that close to be classed as bunching untill worrall got into bother we were watching head on as it developed and there was plenty of space going into bend 1 it developed as they were into bend 1

1st bend bunching for me is all going into the bend to close

Enjoyable meeting with the Tigers mid meeting collapse proving fatal. Do wish we would allow movement as long as the tapes aren't touched every meeting is being blighted by reruns at the moment from the GPs down and the entertainment factor is suffering as a result.

Awful decision in Heat 9 to exclude Aaron can only presume Jim was unsighted and missed Tom tape touching from 4.

Think most fans wanted Dan in 15, as at that stage he was looking quicker than Aaron but can't blame Stewart for going safe.

Good atmosphere Worky fans very happy to have beat us, take that as a compliment :)

bewley or lunna looked the better option rather than summers for heat 15

How we managed to lose that wonderful meeting is beyond me , in control , then out comes the T-R and everything changes . But the real turning point was Summers' exclusion in heat 9 , and then having a strop cause he couldn't get past young Jack , he had started the meeting brilliantly then that seemed to affect him and his final two outings were poor .

For us Lawson , Lunna , Bewley and Summers for half a meeting were brilliant . Bewley's high speed overtake of Williamson was a joy to see .

For the Comets , Campton , Proctor stood out . Harris was fine once he got his mechanical issues sorted and Tommy the tape toucher took his usual liberties at the tapes , but did look quick in his races .

As for the Grand Monarch , well i couldn't really disagree with any of his decisions and i dont really think he ruined a very entertaining evening .

Credit the Comets for keeping fighting when the meeting looked to be running away from them early on , but as Julie T says , heat 15 was squeaky bum time , and that's never a bad thing for a speedway meeting .

Great to spend the evening with Halifax Tiger and my old drinking buddy Simon Barton , been too long mate .

Attended this as a neutral. A friend came along. He hadn't watched speedway since Belle Vue in the Seventies. I haven't been a regular - anywhere - for a decade. Both enjoyed it. Two things I found extremely irritating: riders' constant efforts to cheat at the gate, resulting in several re-runs, and the referee allowing same to spend ages 'gardening' before getting them under orders. A shock to see such a sparse crowd. About 550? Included maybe a hundred from Glasgow. By my reckoning, since reopening in the late Nineties, Workington have somehow managed to slash their attendances from 4,500 to 450. Now tell me British speedway isn't dying on its arse.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

Attended this as a neutral. A friend came along. He hadn't watched speedway since Belle Vue in the Seventies. I haven't been a regular - anywhere - for a decade. Both enjoyed it. Two things I found extremely irritating: riders' constant efforts to cheat at the gate, resulting in several re-runs, and the referee allowing same to spend ages 'gardening' before getting them under orders. A shock to see such a sparse crowd. About 550? Included maybe a hundred from Glasgow. By my reckoning, since reopening in the late Nineties, Workington have somehow managed to slash their attendances from 4,500 to 450. Now tell me British speedway isn't dying on its arse.

Big travelling away support helped swell the gate , I shudder to think what attendances are like some weeks .

Big travelling away support helped swell the gate , I shudder to think what attendances are like some weeks .

Got talking to a Derwent Park regular, who voiced serious doubts about the Comets' ability to run in 2018. With crowds this low, it's no surprise. One division next year?

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

Talking to a Derwent Park regular, he had serious doubts about the Comets' ability to run in 2018. With crowds this low, it's no surprise. One division next year?

Who knows what we'll get next year , with many tracks struggling . The repackaging this season was supposed to be a brave new dawn , instead all we got was a weaker product which has got itself into real trouble with doubling up now totally out of control . Is it any wonder fans are deserting the sport in droves .

But on the plus side , we occasionally get meetings as good as we witnessed last night . A few more of those on a regular basis might just get British speedway off life support . It still has the ability to thrill and entertain same as it always did .

Edited by Paulco
  • Like 4

interesting to hear from a glasgow supporter standing next to us that Glasgow gave away tickets for home meetings to try and swell the crowd .

so the so called big support was there , but a good amount of Glasgow fans get to attend home meetings for nothing .

so the big crowd isnt a full paying one .

stop all the free tickets and lower the price of ALL speedway admission prices .

but at the end of the day , speedway was a winner at workington on Saturday . while mr Mcgregor was the only loser in the stadium .

interesting to hear from a glasgow supporter standing next to us that Glasgow gave away tickets for home meetings to try and swell the crowd .

so the so called big support was there , but a good amount of Glasgow fans get to attend home meetings for nothing .

so the big crowd isnt a full paying one .

stop all the free tickets and lower the price of ALL speedway admission prices .

but at the end of the day , speedway was a winner at workington on Saturday . while mr Mcgregor was the only loser in the stadium .

That was called promotion , giving away free tickets to new supporters . So the regular fans are full paying , just the newbies get ONE freebie . But yes I agree speedway was the winner last night .

a few weeks ! ago (months). workington gave away free tickets to a home meeting .

it was not surprising to see so called new fans turning up in workington speedway jackets etc and looking like regular fans .

giving free tickets away does not work , the tickets are passed onto the people who already go on a regular bases .

a few weeks ! ago (months). workington gave away free tickets to a home meeting .

it was not surprising to see so called new fans turning up in workington speedway jackets etc and looking like regular fans .

giving free tickets away does not work , the tickets are passed onto the people who already go on a regular bases .

If done properly it works. The promotion trusted existing fans to only give the tickets to new or lapsed fans. They have gone public to thank the fans after the first meeting which had c2000 fans 1100 paying; 840 free. Lots of food, drink was sold plus souveniers etc. I would guess they took in at least £4000 that they wouldn't have got if not for the one-off freebie.

Edited by SharpenRake
  • Like 2

I think this says more about people's principles and a lack of seeing the big picture than it does about the policy of dishing out free tickets.

If I had been offered a free ticket I would have politely refused or given it to someone who doesn't normally attend, and had the intelligence to realise if I had used the ticket myself I was in effect stealing £16 from the club I support.

The other week another so called supporter had deliberately put his thumb over the date on his last seasons season ticket to gain entry.

What is wrong with people!!!!

• Like 1

In heat 9, Perry hit the tapes first, not Summers.

Hoping you or someone else can answer this for me please: I'm assuming Summers was excluded in the first run, before Perry's exclusion?

And was Perry's exclusion for tapes or moving please?

Tom perrys bike gave up the ghost at the tapes when the green light came on and he pushed it into the tapes which then moved and then Arron dropped the couch thinking they were going up Arron was excludied for touching the tapes even though tom had hit them first the ref must have blinked to miss toms movement so Arron had to go off 15 and jack came in to replace tom

Edited by mac101
  • Like 1

Thanks. So was Perry excluded for moving at the start, or missing the 2 minutes?

Thanks. So was Perry excluded for moving at the start, or missing the 2 minutes?

no perry retiered he held his hand up before summers went into tapes

• Like 1