British Speedway Forum
Andrew

Tv Times 27/7/63

DJIfoohXYAIkqpR.jpg

Great stuff! Remember 'The Amazing World of Kreskin'...the TV Times a real insight to what we used to watch and keep them coming. Fascinating reading!

Les Kellett v. Colin Joynson. It doesn't get much better than that!

I seem to recall a speedway rider (novice?) who took up wrestling during that period and would appear on WOS? I also recall Soren Sjosten being a one-time wrester.

Odd that Mel Stuart was still wrestling against Les Kellet a year later. I wonder how many 100's of times they fought each other around the country.

The rider with white boots is Len Silver of Exeter, leading Derek Strutt of Rayleigh in heat one of the Southern League match at Rayleigh on 27th April 1963. Strutt fell and was excluded. Exeter won the meeting 50-28.

The meeting at Newcastle on Saturday 27th July 1963 started at 2.00 p.m. enabling races to be televised on the day. It was actually a Provincial League fixture, not a challenge as described in TV Times. Exeter are also wrongly described as 1963 K.O. Cup winners, but they actually won the trophy in 1962.

How do you know all that?

Serious admiration!

How do you know all that?

Serious admiration!

A number of reasons. I recognise Len Silver's riding style and I know that he rode for Exeter that year, I have the programmes for both meetings mentioned as well as the photo which the Tv Times used, plus I kept details of all meetings from that period.

I remember as a kid, singing along to the Fireball XL5 theme tune!

40 minutes of world final coverage...I guess we're pretty spoiled these days with three and a half hours.

• Like 1

Les Kellett v. Colin Joynson. It doesn't get much better than that!

Gardening Today with Bob Price and Cyril Fletcher would give them a run for their money! :t:

• Like 2

That Colin Joynson got around a bit.

Edited by norbold

I seem to recall a speedway rider (novice?) who took up wrestling during that period and would appear on WOS? I also recall Soren Sjosten being a one-time wrester.

The Canadian rider Eddie 'Flash' Barker, who rode for West Ham in 1938, then the Hammers again in 1939 before joining Crystal Palace, was also a professional wrestler.This was before he started in speedway pre-war, then again in the immediate post-war years.

DJYZ_jWX0AMZCmg.jpg

Saint and Greavsie...thems were the days!

Some great names on that page...

Robert Millar (as was) fantastic cycllst at 12.30.

Keith Huewen in his racing days at 3.15

Alex Arguello, Aaron Pryor (fight 2) and Hit-Man Hearns at 4.00.

Not to mention the St Leger at 3.05 (Sun Princess won for Willie Carson if I recall)

John Noakes presenting Good Morning Britain at 6.25 - can't recall him doing that - but it was hardly a programme I watched.