British Speedway Forum
Andrew

Tv Times 27/7/63

Maybe Alan Cowland -he always wore white boots

Maybe Alan Cowland -he always wore white boots

...think you may right although it could be Len Silver who also rode with whitish boots?

Amazing to think that, in 1963, ITV would show a challenge match in the Saturday afternoon schedule!

• Like 1

The rider with white boots is Len Silver of Exeter, leading Derek Strutt of Rayleigh in heat one of the Southern League match at Rayleigh on 27th April 1963. Strutt fell and was excluded. Exeter won the meeting 50-28.

The meeting at Newcastle on Saturday 27th July 1963 started at 2.00 p.m. enabling races to be televised on the day. It was actually a Provincial League fixture, not a challenge as described in TV Times. Exeter are also wrongly described as 1963 K.O. Cup winners, but they actually won the trophy in 1962.

Edited by BL65
  • Like 4

Cor. I remember watching this on TV. Another reminder of age! By the way it was a Provincial League match not a Challenge.

I would go along with it being Len Silver. That was my first thought on seeing the picture. Doubt it is Squibby and it is definitely not Olle Nygren. Alan Cowland wore white leathers so probably not him.

With both teams having Monday race nights the rearrangement to fit in with TV was probably not too difficult. Do wonder whether there would be such co-operation these days though.

Nice thread, thanks for setting off the memories.

:)

• Like 2

The rider with white boots is Len Silver of Exeter, leading Derek Strutt of Rayleigh in heat one of the Southern League match at Rayleigh on 27th April 1963. Strutt fell and was excluded. Exeter won the meeting 50-28.

You beat me to it!

Incidentally, for those who thought it was Alan Cowland because of the white boots, I can tell you that most of the 1963 Exeter team wore white boots; the boots seemed to be a part of the team uniform.

Steve

• Like 1

Another one ,previewing the 1975 British Final.

DGPv5tYXgAEti3R.jpg

Fabulous! A reminder of the days of 'World of Sport'...speedway followed by wrestling and then the results service when most football matches were played at the same time!

Laurel & Hardy in the morning too!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

I reckon the descendants of Laurel and Hardy are now running (or should that be ruining) British Speedway!

I think Laurel and Hardy and Fred Karno together would do a better job running speedway!