British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
greyhoundp

Injuries This Season

Jeez how many more injuries only this week, Dan Greenwood out, Zach Waj out, David Wallinger unknown, at this rate we will soon be needing guests for guests and rr for rr, something has to be done..

For the people who have more knowledge than i whats the possible causes ? is it a combination of Bike set ups, track prep, or whatever else.. that is causing these accidents.

This conversation pops up annually, but I don't think their are many more injuries then any other year (in fact probably less this year, then the last few).

And certainly far less "life changing" injuries then the "glory days"

Ask my dad how many friends he lost during his career and there is a list, ask a modern rider the same question and for most riders the answer will be zero.

Just more reported in this day and age with the interweaving etc etc

It is bad,no idea what the cause is,but if you watch the swedish

league on a tuesday there are not a lot of crashes.

It must be the must win attitude of the British riders.??

Swedish and most European tracks are a pretty regular shape; whereas here we have polo mint,egg shape and all manner of strange shaped tracks......might this have something to do with it....having to set up a bike so much differently from one track to another?

• Like 1

Swedish and most European tracks are a pretty regular shape; whereas here we have polo mint,egg shape and all manner of strange shaped tracks......might this have something to do with it....having to set up a bike so much diff

erently from one track to another?

Tracks in this country are Multi use. For example The IOW track is built round a football pitch. Lakeside is inside a a Car track, probably explains the anomalies.

A few have packed in aswell

its the modern bikes! Far too erratic and prone to wild actions even the most skilled of riders cannot control.

Please correct me if I am wrong and maybe my memory isn't that good but I can't recall the old uprights lifting violently or shooting off in the corners like the current ones do.

its the modern bikes! Far too erratic and prone to wild actions even the most skilled of riders cannot control.

Please correct me if I am wrong and maybe my memory isn't that good but I can't recall the old uprights lifting violently or shooting off in the corners like the current ones do.

Ha ha, looking back at some of the old footage, they could barely slide them!!1

Seriously though, is this not all due to the new silencers that have ruined the sound and maybe even the spectacle of speedway? I remember lots of riders complaining about them but they came in anyway. Plus, the fact is, riders get injured. I am not convinced its any worse now than it was 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago. Blimey, have a really been going that long? Ouch!

For me its a multitude of factors including bikes etc but the biggest one is the attitude/approach of riders. In years past the quickest riders were those who were able to be fast but within their own ability levels. Now its those who have the biggest will to hold the throttle fully open and move across the bike in order to stay aboard relying upon survival instincts and good fortune (i am far from stating this is all riders but a growing proportion).

The shift in attitude is not solely down to riders but the pressures placed upon them from promoters and supporters. The pressure to score points now has never been higher due to rising commercial costs, riders having speedway as a sole income & the rise of social media opinions that can be widely heard.

In the modern era if a rider is not prepared to ride flat out and hope for the best they will be dropped as there is a queue of riders forming behind them that are prepared to take the risk.