British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Heads Gone 2018 Team Building

Opening it up won't attract the top riders there is no money in this country for them

And if we did open it up and we had teams like the polish league do then do you think we would get increased crowds at £18 speedway.

I don't think we will

Whilst the standard of the league is decreasing each season, I think fans can just about stomach if it means the sport in the UK becomes more financially and sustainable and more Brits coming through. However, the biggest problem is that the prices aren't reflecting that, very little change over the last few years and if anything, a slight increase to see an inferior product. It makes no sense from a consumer or business POV.

• Like 3

I suggest we use a sorting hat. Who's in?

Whilst the standard of the league is decreasing each season, I think fans can just about stomach if it means the sport in the UK becomes more financially and sustainable and more Brits coming through. However, the biggest problem is that the prices aren't reflecting that, very little change over the last few years and if anything, a slight increase to see an inferior product. It makes no sense from a consumer or business POV.

It doesn't work that way unfortunately.

Whilst some might be able to stomach it, a large amount will not. Couple a price drop with an attendance drop and you are then faced with a much smaller income. This drop in income would result in a complete loss of foreign riders. You then have a very poorly attended league, and a lack of foreign competition for the up and coming Brit's to develop against. You then end up in a situation similar to the Americans which is that there are then very few higher standard riders to practise against and very little chance to practice on foreign shale. This results in a complete stall in development and very very few British riders ever making it to international or grand prix standard.

This dream of almost "starting over" will simply not work. The drop in attendances are near enough already irreversible. Although some will be happy with a lower standard of racing, many will not. And I think this season has demonstrated what I and others have been trying to warn about for the past 10 years.

2017 was in my opinion a very serious tipping point. This years AGM will be perhaps the most important AGM in history, and decisions made now will affect the entire future of British speedway. If some bold and brave moves are made, the league stands chance of a slow recovery. If the wrong moves are made, like further "cost cutting exercises", then a future of any significant British speedway presence is all but over.

• Like 2

The fan base has been eroded so far now that those missing have found other things to do.

Bringing in the best riders will just slow down the inevitable downturn and give us a slow death.

Get rid of the doubling up and go back to teams that fans can identify with for the season rather than this obsession with qualifying for the play offs even though TV demands this 'excitement'

for some reason.

Edited by GWC
  • Like 1

And Swindon for that matter.

Zengota at Poole, Sedgmen at Belle Vue/Rye House - and I can never work out of THJ is a Swindon or a Poole asset

The fan base has been eroded so far now that those missing have found other things to do.

Bringing in the best riders will just slow down the inevitable downturn and give us a slow death.

Get rid of the doubling up and go back to teams that fans can identify with for the season rather than this obsession with qualifying for the play offs even though TV demands this 'excitement'

for some reason.

Nonsense. Just because they've found other things to do doesn't mean they won't be back. It's all about the show and promoting the show.

Nonsense. Just because they've found other things to do doesn't mean they won't be back. It's all about the show and promoting the show.

Really! So you would happily keep the guest system and doubling up just so you can watch some Polish bloke score 6 points !

How are we going to bring all these so called stars back if they want to ride in Poland and Sweden next year?

Every year is the biggest AGM its ridiculous, BSPA have no ambition and can't think outside the box

Ambition doesn't put bums on seats unfortunately.

The product is crap to be honest,I've been a Leicestet supporter since 1977 but I've only been twice this season,the first two matches at home and don't plan on going anymore.

The sport needs an overhaul but there is no ambition for change, they are just bleeding what they can out of it til it dies, not many care for the sports well being in say 5 years its all here and now attitude

Ambition doesn't put bums on seats unfortunately.

The product is crap to be honest,I've been a Leicestet supporter since 1977 but I've only been twice this season,the first two matches at home and don't plan on going anymore.

Why have you stopped going?

The sport needs an overhaul but there is no ambition for change, they are just bleeding what they can out of it til it dies, not many care for the sports well being in say 5 years its all here and now attitude

I think it is a bit unfair to say there's no ambition. It is easy to stand on the sidelines and criticises the BPSA for not attracting top named riders or for not amalgamating into one big league. The simple fact is, there's no evidence that either of those approaches will attract a significant increase in fan numbers and therefore be economically viable.

Therefore, we end up with name changes and re-brands, as they are seen as being better than nothing, but at the same time are unlikely to immediately bankrupt the current crop of promoters.

Yes, the ultimate outcome is a slow and painful death, but if it was you having to put your hand in your pocket at the end of every season to keep your club afloat, would you prefer to try and gradually steer speedway into a better place or go out in a blaze of glory with a single roll of the dice?

Every year is the biggest AGM its ridiculous, BSPA have no ambition and can't think outside the box

Nope the management commitee have absolutely no ambition at all. Sack the lot. In the meantime crowds will continue to dwindle.

Edited by Starman2006

I think it is a bit unfair to say there's no ambition. It is easy to stand on the sidelines and criticises the BPSA for not attracting top named riders or for not amalgamating into one big league. The simple fact is, there's no evidence that either of those approaches will attract a significant increase in fan numbers and therefore be economically viable.

Therefore, we end up with name changes and re-brands, as they are seen as being better than nothing, but at the same time are unlikely to immediately bankrupt the current crop of promoters.

Yes, the ultimate outcome is a slow and painful death, but if it was you having to put your hand in your pocket at the end of every season to keep your club afloat, would you prefer to try and gradually steer speedway into a better place or go out in a blaze of glory with a single roll of the dice?

Me saying they have no ambition is not related to attracting top level riders, the sport in this country cannot sustain them at present.

Where they lack ambition is setting the foundations for the sport to gradually grow and for there to be a sport in 5 or 10 years time, even potentially filled mainly by brits

It is very much bleed it dry til you can't bleed no more attitude, I get what you mean they have to run the clubs put money in but in my opinion what you've said just emphasises the fact the wrong people are running speedway

I've done promoting, I've sacrificed thousands of pounds for the long term goal and vision and I ended up selling my % to one of the biggest rivals in europe, I took a hit for a while but it was worth it

Problem is most involved in speedway will not be alive to watch it prosper

Those in the sport now have a duty to ensure the sport thrives for future generations and its failing miserably

I would have a points building limit but for any changes I would change how averages are used.

For example lets say Rory Schlien

Signs for Belle Vue on 6.5 average during the season his average is 7.5

If Belle Vue want to remove Rory from the team then they can only use the signed average of 6.5 so this would stop riders increasing their averages meaning a successful season but being out of a job just to make up the numbers, if anyone wants to sign Rory then he would be transfered or signed mid season on his current average of 7.5

Now for example lets say Troy Batchelor starts for Belle Vue on a 7.5 average but obtains an average of 5.5, Belle Vue can change him for another rider up to 7.5 but someone else can sign Batchelor on his current 5.5 average

So replace a rider you use the starting average

To sign a rider you use the current average

BSPA simple have an average A for the starting average and a column B which is the current average

Wouldn't have stopped Rye House dropping Ellis Perks as their new team as a whoile came under 42 points, but I agree with the idea in principle!