British Speedway Forum
TeamBouchard

Long Eaton At Melton Mowbray Speedway 27/8/1950

Does anyone have any details of this 'meeting'?

I have found reference to it's staging in the LE programme from 31/8/50.

It may of course, have been some form of team match with Long Eaton riders 'guesting' rather than a bone fide Long Eaton 'team'.

Quote "Our trip to Melton on Sunday was very successful and a large crowd saw our lads put up a good show. Johnny Jones was outstanding in scoring 11 points in the TEAM racing, being beaten only by Wild Plant, the Fleetwood flyer.

Johnny also won the trophy which was donated by our managing director, Mr S H Lush, and presented by Freddy Siggins.

Bill Humphries scored 9 points, Johnny Higham six points and Ken Lush three points. Ken also rode well in the Trophy races, winning his first heat and getting second place in the other. Unfortunately, he parted company with 'the model's in the final when well placed.

On the return journey THREE of the coaches got lost......."

There is reference on Speedway Researcher to three 1949 meetings at the 'track' but no reference to this particular staging.

The quote seems to suggest that perhaps Long Eaton were one of the 'teams' riding that afternoon and that has aroused my interest.

Any info, programme scan etc, would be very welcome!

Edited by TeamBouchard

Press reports indicate that there were at least three meetings staged at Melton Mowbray in 1950.

On Sunday July 16th 1950 there was a junior meeting, with teams comprising the Lions and the the Tigers, followed by Melton Lions v The Panthers on 27th August 1950 and Melton Lions v The Rest on 17th September 1950. Lions lost 39-45 to Panthers and lost 37-47 to The Rest.

The Panthers team in the meeting on 27th August was made up of riders from Long Eaton, Leicester and Coventry.

• Like 1

Were the Melton Mowbray speedway meetings reported in any of the several speedway magazines published in 1950?

The track does not even get a mention on the much respected DEFUNCT SPEEDWAY TRACKS website.

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/M.htm

Edited by Guest

Were the Melton Mowbray speedway meetings reported in any of the several speedway magazines published in 1950?

Not that I recall. I do have the various magazines but have not gone back to check. They would have been picked up for the Researcher website though if they had been reported.

Edited by BL65

From the British Newspaper Archive I have found details in the Grantham Journal for 3 meetings held at Melton Mowbray in 1950.

16 July 1950

Melton Lions 50 v Tigers 34

Melton Lions: Geoff Godwin 12, Joe Bosworth 11, Bob Ibbotson 10, Max Rech 6, Bill Smith 4, Alf Greer 3, Eric Mason 2, Reg Farrer 1, Bob Kent 1.

There is a mention in report of Bill Davis and Ted Rawlinson riding for the Tigers, but no scorer details given.

27 August 1950

Melton Lions 39 v Panthers 45

Melton Lions: Wilf Plant 12, Humphries 7, Smith 5, Farrar 5, Greer 4, Lish 4, Davies 2.

No details given of the Panthers scorers but Cyril Page, Johnny Jones and Owen Greenwood are mentioned in the report. The report also mentions a last minute decision by the Speedway Board of Control prevented Pedlar Palmer the Long Eaton skipper and Harwood Pike Leicester's crack rider taking part.

17 September 1950

Melton Lions 37 v The Rest 47

Melton Lions: Plant 12, Carvil 6, Godwin 5, Perkins 5, Greer 4, Hilton 3, Lish 1, Farrar 1.

The Rest: Page 11, Greenwood 8, Jones 8, Kent 7, Inwood 6, Hilton 3, Medlock 3, Jackson 1.

There was also a mention in an article on 15 September about Lions hoping to challenge an all-Australian team for their fixture on October 22nd. I have not been able to find any further details about this meeting.

The track does not even get a mention on the much respected DEFUNCT SPEEDWAY TRACKS website.

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/M.htm

Hi I run the Defunct Speedway website. I am aware of quite a few tracks which I have not included so far. I decided way back when I started the website, to only include tracks that I have photos, programme scans or information text for. The main reason for my decision was to hopefully produce an interesting website rather than do a list of all tracks with no info for a lot of them. I have yesterday added a page for Newton Heath Speedway as I received some images and info for that venue.

If anyone has any images of Melton Mowbray or can provide me with a few paragraphs of text, I would create a page, no problem with that. I enjoy adding pages to my website, So I await some info/pics etc to start the page. my email address is all over the website if you want to get in touch it is easy.

• Like 1