British Speedway Forum
Van der Elst

Ivan Mauger

I'm not sure what to think. I know Ivan has not been in the best of health of late. I hope this sale is not because his family need the funds to support him. Ivan's collection of memorabilia is, I suspect, one of the best ever assembled. I note that the gold bike is not amongst the sale items. Heaven knows what that might be worth and is certainly unique Worldwide. The hope is that items up for sale go to speedway fans with a love for the sport. Better still, people that might make these items accessible to speedway fans everywhere.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what to think. I know Ivan has not been in the best of health of late. I hope this sale is not because his family need the funds to support him. Ivan's collection of memorabilia is, I suspect, one of the best ever assembled. I note that the gold bike is not amongst the sale items. Heaven knows what that might be worth and is certainly unique Worldwide. The hope is that items up for sale go to speedway fans with a love for the sport. Better still, people that might make these items accessible to speedway fans everywhere.

Didn't Ivan's Gold Bike end up in a museum in Christchurch?

• Like 1

Same here,i hope this isn't a forced financial sale.Thought Ivan was quite well off financially,but of course an unexpected long term illness can eat into the bank balance if the health system and insurance doesn't cover the amount having to be payed out.

On the other side,i am sure this collection will only go to speedway enthusiasts.Guess to most others it is uninteresting and fairly worthless

Didn't Ivan's Gold Bike end up in a museum in Christchurch?

On the premise that this is the case steve roberts it could be that the item was on loan from Ivan Mauger? That being the case it could therefore become a sale item - but, of course, very hopefully not the case.

Edited by Guest

On the premise that this is the case steve roberts it could be that the item was on loan from Ivan Mauger? That being the case it could therefore become a sale item - but, of course, very hopefully not the case.

No.It was sold.News item....

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/ivan-maugers-gold-plated-motorbike-sold-canterbury-museum

• Like 1

If I recall the bike and other items were sold with the backing of the Mauger family some time ago.

If I recall the bike and other items were sold with the backing of the Mauger family some time ago.

Thanks for the prompt update Steve Roberts in regard to this matter.

Please post any updates here though as this is where the bulk of posts are and not on the duplicate thread that someattention seeker has now started using and will probably get deleted

A deeply moving statement on the sale has been made by the Mauger family.Seem some special items will be sold and the money will go to the Speedway Riders Benevolent Fund

Can't link or copy and paste the statement unfortunately with my mobile

The statement in full:-

August 2017

Statement from Mauger family: Ivan Mauger Speedway Collection

We have been incredibly touched by the support and good wishes which we have received from friends, fans and the entire speedway fraternity over the recent years since our father’s illness began. The messages and help are of great comfort to us, and it is heartening to see just how many people Dad’s career touched and inspired.

As almost all families will experience, we have reached a difficult crossroads and had to make some tough decisions with regards to the future. As our father’s condition is sadly not improving and our mother has moved from the family home, which previously housed the enormous number of trophies, awards and motorcycles amassed by our father, we have come to the decision to part with much of his collection.

Our father was arguably the most successful speedway rider of all time, and amassed the most astonishing number of trophies, awards and motorcycles. He kept fastidiously good care of each and every one, reflecting his passion and respect for the sport. We take great pride in the condition and variety of his collection, and know that it will bring joy to his fans, admirers and speedway enthusiasts alike when sold at auction in October at Bonhams Autumn Stafford Sale.

Part of his collection is already on display for the benefit of the public in the Canterbury Museum in his home town of Christchurch, New Zealand. It brings us all great pleasure to think of the speedway community enjoying the jackets, bikes and memorabilia which were part of our daily lives for so long. Each and every item holds its own collection of memories, and we now feel that we have reached the right moment to share them with the world, having spent years being approached by interested parties keen to own a slice of speedway history and our father’s career.

Our father has always been grateful for his own good fortune, and did not take his successes for granted. He is a compassionate man, and one who never forgot those whose careers were cut short due to accidents or misfortune. As a tribute to our father’s generosity, we will be making a contribution to the Speedway Riders Benevolent Fund in his name. Proceeds raised from the sale of several of the lots, including a signature chequered Bell helmet and his trophies from the 1975 season will be donated to the charity.

We look forward to sharing these cherished memories of our father’s career with his fans and enthusiasts around the world, and know that he would be both immensely proud and deeply humbled by the enthusiasm with which his collection is being met across the globe.
Julie, Kym and Debbie

• Like 5

Canterbury Museum has purchased a significant collection of motorbikes and memorabilia belonging to internationally renowned speedway champion and local Christchurch hero, Ivan Mauger, Mauger is widely considered the best speedway rider of all time. He won more than 1,000 international events in 60 countries. The $1.7 million purchase is the Museum’s largest-ever acquisition. The collection has been on loan to the Museum since 2007.

Mauger is still the only rider to win the World Speedway Championship in three consecutive years (1968, 1969 and 1970). In 1970, two American speedway fans (George Wenn and Ray Bokelman) said that if Mauger won his third world title in a row at Wroclaw, Poland, they would have the winning bike gold-plated. They delivered on their promise; it took 18 months and cost US$500,000.

As well as Mauger’s gold-plated bike (pictured), the collection includes the bike he rode when he broke the world long track speed record in 1986 and the first Jawa 4-valve bike ever produced, on which he won the 1976 World Long Track Championship. It also includes trophies, vests, leathers and a variety of other objects.

To mark the acquisition the Museum has refreshed its Speedway King: The Ivan Mauger Story exhibit with all three bikes and his leathers again on display; you can view this remarkable bit of motor racing history at the museum now.

www.canterburymuseum.com

• Like 2

I hope this doesn't come across sounding disrespectful and hopefully Ivan will be with us for a long time to come but when we lose anyone everyone says good things about them. I was just wondering if most forum members think Ivan was the best ever. I started following speedway mid 70s when I think he had won 4 of his titles so it's arguable if he's best days were just behind him but in the 75 season I'm sure he was virtually unbeatable. From my viewpoint he may not have been the most exciting rider but I really think overall he's been the best ever taking professionalism to another level.When he came to Dudley Wood I remember standing in awe watching him. Hope this has comes across as a tribute to the great man and as I say not disrespectful

• Like 3

I hope this doesn't come across sounding disrespectful and hopefully Ivan will be with us for a long time to come but when we lose anyone everyone says good things about them. I was just wondering if most forum members think Ivan was the best ever. I started following speedway mid 70s when I think he had won 4 of his titles so it's arguable if he's best days were just behind him but in the 75 season I'm sure he was virtually unbeatable. From my viewpoint he may not have been the most exciting rider but I really think overall he's been the best ever taking professionalism to another level.When he came to Dudley Wood I remember standing in awe watching him. Hope this has comes across as a tribute to the great man and as I say not disrespectful

Definitely the best rider ever in my view...from every perspective.

• Like 1

i have been an avid Mauger fan my entire life.

No one else comes near.

Watching him at Hyde Road in the seventies just took my breath away.

When he left I became a Falcons fan overnight.

I remember screaming from the home straight stand in 1974 when there was an almighty row over the starting gate.

When Exeter came to The Zoo.

The atmosphere was just incredible that night.

All because of the presence of The Very Best.

And one of the best races I have seen in my life was when he won against Simmons and Collins in the World Best Pairs at Belle Vue in 1977. It was just simply awesome.

Everyone knew that he was just so damned special.

You could just feel it.

I wish his family ever future successand happiness.

And hope all his memorabilia goes to people who really cherish the items fully.

You will be very fortunate people.

Ivan Mauger is, and will always be, the greatest.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 5