British Speedway Forum
uk_martin

Speedway Shambles

Pedersen and Crump fighting to lose in the World Cup.

Joker.

Double Points.

• Like 5

John Davis riding as a guest for Oxford to cover the absent John Davis.

John Davis riding as a guest for Oxford to cover the absent John Davis.

:shock::shock: You are kidding? :shock::shock:

:shock::shock: You are kidding? :shock::shock:

Nope. It was in 1975, I believe. JD signed for Reading and Oxford were granted a guest facility to cover for him. Who better to call on, eh?

• Like 2

You could add those riders who were sent to a club they didn't want to ride for.Ole Olsen for one refused a move somewhere that the BSPA said he would go to

Plus Wimbledon promoter Ronnie Greene telling reigning world champion Barry Briggs he wouldn't be allowed to defend the title if he didn't ride for Wimbledon.......

Nope. It was in 1975, I believe. JD signed for Reading and Oxford were granted a guest facility to cover for him. Who better to call on, eh?

Thank you for the explanation Grachan. :t:

Only in Speedway. :unsure::blink::)

You could add those riders who were sent to a club they didn't want to ride for.Ole Olsen for one refused a move somewhere that the BSPA said he would go to

Plus Wimbledon promoter Ronnie Greene telling reigning world champion Barry Briggs he wouldn't be allowed to defend the title if he didn't ride for Wimbledon.......

Ole Olsen refused to ride for Hull if I remember correctly.

Coventry were promised an inspection after heat 9 v Poole because of the weather, inspection didn't happen so Bees riders were told by Havvy not to go out. They ran heat 10 (HOLDER (😂) nearly took out Davey Watt) then they abandoned the meeting due to unsafe track as they got a result.

I wouldn't know what you are talking about. I don't do Twitter, Facebook etc. I avoid them like the plague.

Perhaps you could explain in a bit more detail for us dinosaurs what it is about? :unsure: :unsure: :blink:

So you avoid them like the plaque, but you want to know what's been said on them....................... :D

• Like 2

So you avoid them like the plaque, but you want to know what's been said on them....................... :D

'Fraid so - I'm just nosey. ;)

• Like 1

Gelsenkirchen year two

The Riga SGP that never took place

The first Warsaw SGP

Edited by WembleyLion

Thank you for the explanation Grachan. :t:

Only in Speedway. :unsure::blink::)

Ole Olsen refused to ride for Hull if I remember correctly.

Indeed it was, in 1976. We signed Barry Briggs though so: swings & roundabouts.

All the above +:

A GP live on TV, I forget exactly where and when (1998 ?) but a rider went through the fnece, ended up in the 2m safety zone. He rider was dealt & treated fairly quickly, but the meeting held up for around 30 mins for fence repairs, still live on TV - they nailed in a piece of 4 X 8 board, which the entire fence was made from in any case.

An Elite League match, at Eastbourne I believe (2000 ?) the away team walked out before a wheel was turned in a row over team strengths, Eagles rode alone for minumum points for the win followed by junior racing, mercifully it wasn't televised.

1974: infamously Belle Vue walked out of a match at Hull over track condidtions, resulting in that 60-9 'victory' to Hull. My first ever meeting was week or two afterwards.

1977: Hull & White City rode the entire season with R/R for riders who never turned wheel for the clubs: Egon Muller (Hull) & Dag Lovas (White City). White City won the league in that seasson too.

There are probably more....

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 1

1974: infamously Belle Vue walked out of a match at Hull over track condidtions, resulting in that 60-9 'victory' to Hull. My first ever meeting was week or two afterwards.

This is probably one of the meetings i have in mind when it comes to riders pulling out because of bad conditions.I think at the time Belle Vue had quite a reputation,so must have been another meeting or two,though i do remember going to Hull for the Briggo fareweel and the conditions weren't great,but if i am correct Belle Vue were the opponents that night.At least i seem to remember the challenge races included Fundin and PC!!

This is probably one of the meetings i have in mind when it comes to riders pulling out because of bad conditions.I think at the time Belle Vue had quite a reputation,so must have been another meeting or two,though i do remember going to Hull for the Briggo fareweel and the conditions weren't great,but if i am correct Belle Vue were the opponents that night.At least i seem to remember the challenge races included Fundin and PC!!

Indeed x 2, Belle Vue threatened not ride then too. Mind they did kinda have a point as in addition PC, Briggo, Ivan Mauger & Ove Fundin rode in World Champion's Exhibition races (slid around desperately keeping upright in the slop)....

• Like 1