British Speedway Forum
uk_martin

Speedway Shambles

Another that sticks out in the memory: I was holidaying in south Wales (as you do) in spring 2002, and drove over to Carmarthen to watch the Dragons' opening meeting (versus King's Lynn's juniors) at the Showground. Big crowd on, and the track wasn't fit for racing. It simply wasn't ready. Nobody could get the bikes sideways on the turns. I watched the meeting in the company of a Newport regular, who described it as a travesty of speedway. Can't imagine any first-timer would have seen much point in returning. Did Carmarthen end their chances, there and then, of making a success of staging speedway in south-west Wales?

The opening meeting at the South Tees Motorsport Park, Redcar versus Sheffield, in 2006, wasn't much better - for the same reasons. Track unfit for racing. And first impressions count, don't they?

I was at STMP and I'd describe the track as very poor rather than unfit. Massive crowd that night, the only time I have ever watched speedway from the 3rd bend there.

Speaking of opening nights, I was at Barrow in 1985. KO Cup 2nd leg v Exeter. The facilities were spartan to say the least and the pits had apparently blown away in a high wind during the preceding week. It was absolutely freezing and the first few heats took ages. Then the lights went out. This was traced to the generator which had failed, but it was fine because the tractor could be used. Someone ran across the centre green, jumped on the tractor and proceeded to drive it away only for it stop. Cue man with petrol can. Tractor on its way, lights on, ragged cheer. One race later, huge bang, lights out, meeting abandoned.

It might be bizarre, but its a meeting I'll never forget and one that I don't remember with anger, regret or disappointment.

Saying speedway is a shambles is like saying the sea is full of water

• Like 1

I wouldn't know what you are talking about. I don't do Twitter, Facebook etc. I avoid them like the plague.

It's a shame you do that. I don't do Twitter but enjoy Facebook as there are some great groups on there ~ Nature Watch, Speedway, Border Collie, German Shepherd, Staffordshire Terrier etc., all of which I am interested in. It's not all rubbish and photos of people's dinner. :lol:

It's not all rubbish and photos of people's dinner. :lol:

what sort of idiot would keep posting pictures of their dinner?!

• Like 1

what sort of idiot would keep posting pictures of their dinner?!

Oh you'd be so surprised Steve.

This must have been a different meeting to the one I was thinking of but I'm sure it was Middlesbrough. They refused to ride so Long Eaton's riders scored 5-0's in every race. Also at Long Eaton on a lovely June evening, with Ove Fundin and his wife present, the track had been over watered and the match called off. I can't remember which team was the opposition then but I know I was cheesed off driving over from Leicester for nothing.

Yes, it was. It was Mildenhall in June 1986, and I attended that one as well.

I was a glorious evening by the time Long Eaton took to the track for the first of their 13 5-0's, but IIRC, there had been one of those summer downpours at around 6 o'clock, so the track could have been termed as 'a bit on the damp side', at least to start off with. However, it did dry out very well and Gerald Short actually won heat 13 in a time not far off the track record....

Both Dave Jessup and Mel Taylor received bans at the subsequent hearing, a year each, I think, suspended for a year. They were also fined around £1000 each for their troubles. Mildenhall captain Rob Henry was fined £500, but didn't receive a ban. Most of the discipline panel's ire fell on the Fen Tigers team manager, Maurice Everett, who it has to be said, was a real trouble maker and pain in the backside. He alone was fined £1000, an unprecedented sum for a non rider. And it wasn't long after that the SCB/BSPA told Mildenhall to dispense with his services or face a sanction.

• Like 1

Could be some whinging Aussies who appear to dominate page 2 and 3 of this weeks speedway star. When will they give it a rest and move on. What is done is done and if all they are interested in is the Visa, then maybe the whole idea of Aussies riding in the UK. Needs reviewing.

Amen

Thank you for the explanation Grachan. :t:

Only in Speedway. :unsure::blink::)

Ole Olsen refused to ride for Hull if I remember correctly.

He did. Good old rider control. Allocated to Hull & refused to go. Said he would retire if he didn't get a move to Coventry, which of course, he did. Two good things came of this:- 1) Rider control was abolished & 2) Barry Briggs stayed in the BL to race for Hull instead of retiring.

Rider control was nuts - Wayne Briggs was racing for Glasgow in the early 70's & lived in Scotland - he was allocated to, wait for it, Exeter, so retired.

How does tonight's Leicester v Charlie Chapman's Kings Lynn Stars compare?

• Like 1

How does tonight's Leicester v Charlie Chapman's Kings Lynn Stars compare?

Thanks only to the brilliant Dan Bewley, there will be a lot worse.

His contribution turned a true and complete disaster into something just about worth watching.

Leicester Hunter..............Yes, it was. It was Mildenhall in June 1986, and I attended that one as well.

Ah thanks. At least I got the 'M' bit right. :lol: Thanks for all the details.

• Like 1

And it goes on today - sadly! Leicester V supposedly KL Stars last night. Shambolic for sure.

Ah thanks. At least I got the 'M' bit right. :lol: Thanks for all the details.

No probs Gemini. It's meetings like those that stay in the old memory bank! :D

• Like 1

No probs Gemini. It's meetings like those that stay in the old memory bank! :D

Sadly not much stays in mine these days. Anything new that goes in automatically deletes older ones as my memory database is full.

• Like 1