British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

Time To Crack Down On The Aussies?

​A rather harsh PROPOSED attitude towards Australian riders IMO. Basically, it is to the Australian influence in the early 1920s and the support they gave to the introduction of speedway (aka dirt track racing) to the UK in 1928 that there is UK speedway these days. Fortunately, I am fairly certain that the idea will not even be considered by those who govern and guide UK speedway.

It is thanks largely to the influence of the Angles and Saxons that we speak the language we do,but we don't let the Germans take the p as a thank you,do we?No we don't :mad:

Edited by iris123

It seems more than ever British Speedway is being taken for a ride and just being used for VISA's to ride abroad.

Now Jack Holder is playing the game, a relatively new rider to Speedway across here and no doubt already being influenced.

Maybe we should now do what we did to the American's many years ago.

7 average or above in the top league or VISA's are no longer renewed

9 Average or above in the 2nd league or VISA's are no longer renewed

Yeah. We saw tonight at Leicester how much better off King's Lynn are without their Aussies.

get in touch with immigration and cancel their visas & sponsors. See where they end up then. One meeting does not make him a superstar. A poor score will see when the squad system comes in.

Yeah. We saw tonight at Leicester how much better off King's Lynn are without their Aussies.

Think you are comparing apples with pears.Obviously to get rid of a couple of riders at this stage of the season is not easy.Far easier to build a team over the winter without these two.But do you just let riders do what they want because the teams might be weaker without them?Is it right to the fans of a team that when a foreign team with money comes knocking you just let him go?Sounds like you are voting for anarchy.Nice if you are an anarchist,but most speedway fans ain't

• Like 3

Hmm, Leicester 54 King's Lynn 38. I agree grachan - that tends to say it all!

Edited by Guest

Hmm, Leicester 54 King's Lynn 38. I agree grachan - that tends to say it all!

i thought it was 62-28

i thought it was 62-28

Gustix was using his 1940s race card :P

• Like 2

I think that the first thing to do is change the asset system so that signing any foreign rider and giving him a good run to learn his trade is never easier/ cheaper than doing the same for a young Brit.

Don't allow any foreign rider to have an average less than that which he would be assessed at.

Add 3 points to any riders average who doesn't agree to prioritise British fixtures.

Apply average discounts for British riders who stay with the same team year on year to encourage continuity. Allow a further discount for riders who ride at the track nearest to their home town. These don't have to be big discounts but something that after 3 or 4 years of continuity with local riders can make a significant difference to team building.

Difficult situation with the Aussies as for every whinger there is another like Doolan who has been a great addition to British Speedway.

• Like 1

I wonder if there is a thread on an Australian speedway forum along the lines of "Time to stop wasting our time in the UK"?

I wonder if there is a thread on an Australian speedway forum along the lines of "Time to stop wasting our time in the UK"?

They have little option, you can't make a living riding there and getting a place and a visa anywhere but here isn't easy (not impossible though).

More than welcome to.But why would they be wasting their time in the UK?

As said before,if they don't like the wages or the tracks or the weather or the food or any combination,stay at home.Nobody makes them come to the UK.If there is an alternative route to the top let them take it.ne or two have used Denmark as a first step,but where do they go after Denmarks saturday league?

The American champ,Mike Bast said about the UK something like the weather was crap and the wages even worse,as to his reason why he didn't come.Fair enough.His opinion and he done what he thought was best for him

Edited by iris123
  • Like 2

It seems more than ever British Speedway is being taken for a ride and just being used for VISA's to ride abroad.

Now Jack Holder is playing the game, a relatively new rider to Speedway across here and no doubt already being influenced.

Maybe we should now do what we did to the American's many years ago.

7 average or above in the top league or VISA's are no longer renewed

9 Average or above in the 2nd league or VISA's are no longer renewed

Surely the riders averaging those figures are going to be the ones that will be riding in Poland? Not that any of them are likely to get that in a first season so basically it's a complete ban on all new Aussies

Don't see the point in just pointing the finger at Australians. At least they hang around for a few years and generally do the whole season unlike Danes like Jepsen Jensen, Bech etc who sign up occasionally, look like they're not interested and clear off again after a few meetings. I'm sure there's plenty examples of Swedes too and how many Poles have come here to regain form/learn new tracks and been recalled again within a few months.

Obviously the future is uncertain but if people want to cut down on doubling-up and there's the possibility of EU riders not getting work permits then we're going to see more Australians not less.

Yes, but it's very different. How many riders get a chance in Poland if they have no pedigree? None. Riders come to the UK, get a good grounding in a competitive situation & then once it suits them, they leave. Even Woffinden did it. The point is, if they are contracted here, they should ride & Jack Holder should be suspended as he should be riding in the fours. As he isn't, he is withholding his services. The Polish league invests nothing in these riders until they are proven. These riders are using the UK, until it doesn't suit them to race here.

Let's hope so. All those sticking up for what Holder & Batchelor did, need to look at themselves. They are not "poor victimised speedway riders".

Take a look at the lower Polish leagues and see how many of the riders have never ridden in the UK.

Almost all riders come through the Polish leagues, with the exception of the Australians (and Brits). I'd suggest this is more of a cultural thing than anything to do with speedway ability.

• Like 1

uk martin, on 07 Aug 2017 - 08:17 AM, said:

and where else would they be able to put themselves in the shop window for other leagues in the world?...perhaps you could name a few Aussie riders who have made a career out of the sport by going down another route other than the usual British leagues.

• Like 1

and where else would they be able to put themselves in the shop window for other leagues in the world?...perhaps you could name a few Aussie riders who have made a career out of the sport by going down another route other than the usual British leagues.

Are you saying that without the British leagues, Australian speedway would peter out?