British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DC2

Is This Swindon Team The Best Of Recent Times?

Swindon were effectively giving away 3 points to the other teams when they signed Doyle on 13.41 but now they sit top of the table with 10 straight wins? Which team comes close in recent years?

For me, not Coventry 2007 because they relied heavily on Olly Allen's R/R and Poole 2008 and Wolves 2009 benefitted from Holder and Woffinden stepping up on false averages, the exact opposite of Doyle's. Then there's the great Poole 2010 side, run away table toppers, but thrashed by Coventry in the final. Since then, much of a muchness.

So step forward Swindon 2017, the best of all!

• Like 1

The Swindon 2007 side was the best side never to win anything. When it was assembled at around Christmas time 2006, I couldn't believe it. What a line up!

Sadly, the team flattered to deceive, big time!

The Swindon 2007 side was the best side never to win anything. When it was assembled at around Christmas time 2006, I couldn't believe it. What a line up!

Sadly, the team flattered to deceive, big time!

Just goes to show nothing is definate. Fans can look at team before the season and one is favourite, but it rarely turns out that the team runs out the winner. Swindon looked poor before a wheel was turned and would still have been also rans even with Bellego riding beyond expectations but for the signing of the Pole mid season which turned them into possible winners.

I think they will come up short this season as beaten finalists but if they win it it will be deserved.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

You can only race against what's put in front of you so maybe they are !!

• Like 1

Has to be Poole 2014.

1 Darcy Ward

1 rider is 2nd in WC

2 Riders are future GP riders in next 2 years

1 is still a number 1 in this league

1 is the playoff reserve king

1 is now at Plymouth and is also a hairdresser.

Sadly, the team flattered to deceive, big time

I agree with Steve, the team is mediocre, if they do win the league it will show how weak the league is, by by Chapman..

• Like 1

Swindon have made complete mugs of everyone this year, and it's all very well people saying it's because they Mae changes but they have made fewer changes than anyone bar Belle Vue - and even lost out on their original assumed change to The Aces.

Plus their sudden metamorphosis into a good team began before the signing of Musielak, with the Doyle and Morris-less win over Wolves so it's not onl because of their changes, although that has certainly helped.

I do feel that that there is an element of Swindon doing well because everyone else is collapsing around them.

How do you judge the best ever? In terms of the strength of the riders it's nowhere near. The league is very weak this year, but Swindon got the team building spot on while everyone else took the mickey out of us for keeping Jason Doyle.

There were even Swindon fans, not so long ago, moaning that we probably wouldn't beat Glasgow in a relegation play-off. It's good to see us having a purple patch, but most of the opposition is so uninspiring that it's hard to get too enthusiastic.

• Like 2

I agree with Steve, the team is mediocre, if they do win the league it will show how weak the league is, by by Chapman..

It is not mediocre but much of the rest of the league is weak, due to the continual weakening of the league by the bspa which has been happening for years.

This team is by no way the best we have had but is good as was shown by the results of the riders when our number 1 was out injured.

Then the addition of T Musielak and his improvement each meeting and improvement of others in the team we have had this run and are now top of the league.

• Like 1

Swindon have made complete mugs of everyone this year, and it's all very well people saying it's because they Mae changes but they have made fewer changes than anyone bar Belle Vue - and even lost out on their original assumed change to The Aces.

Plus their sudden metamorphosis into a good team began before the signing of Musielak, with the Doyle and Morris-less win over Wolves so it's not onl because of their changes, although that has certainly helped.

I do feel that that there is an element of Swindon doing well because everyone else is collapsing around them.

How do you judge the best ever? In terms of the strength of the riders it's nowhere near. The league is very weak this year, but Swindon got the team building spot on while everyone else took the mickey out of us for keeping Jason Doyle.

There were even Swindon fans, not so long ago, moaning that we probably wouldn't beat Glasgow in a relegation play-off. It's good to see us having a purple patch, but most of the opposition is so uninspiring that it's hard to get too enthusiasti

I cannot get enthuisiastic about this team at all to be honest. If they do win it will show how poor the league is.

Mediocre?! Stupid comment as usual

Shows how poor this league is..

• Like 1

Shows how poor this league is..

Shows how Rosco knew how to put a team together using this points limit whereas Poole went the other way and made a complete pigs ear of it.

• Like 4

Your team on paper should have walked it. An international superstar at 1 who only rides well for Poole. The most experienced 2nd heat leader in the league. 2 aussie u21 stars of the future. And Klindt taking the pee at reserve. Somehow its all gone ** up. Maybe Ford and Middlo are losing their touch. Poole totally f'd it this year and not even that is Busters fault.

Oh and in answer to the title of this thread, it's nowhere near the best Swindon team in years but we can only beat whats in front of us and at the moment we are doing it with ease.

• Like 6