Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DC2

Is This Swindon Team The Best Of Recent Times?

Currently Belle Vue are the biggest club in U.K. Speedway and historically Belle Vue were the biggest club in U.K. Speedway. Granted other clubs come and go which I think is a good thing.

• Like 1

The same with all clubs.

It could also be the case that people now dont think the entertainment on offer is worth 17 quid.

We're not in the 70/80's.

You may as well say Preston North End are the biggest football club with this argument.

What you should say is 'were' not 'are', especially with relation to Coventry and Cradley.

Any sport success comes around in cycles success has to be gaged on the past in my book so yes Preston are still a big club history tells you that.Poole were the benchmark to aim at in recent years for everyone but now they will have to go and reinvent themselves be interesting to see if Ford can.

History tells you preston were a big club not that they are .

Surely being a big club in any sport is gauged not on success.

Leeds and Newcastle and Sunderland are a bigger football clubs then Leicester........who has had most success recently?

Ask anyone in the street to name 5 speedway teams and i doubt anyone would say Poole.

Belle Vue, Cradley, Coventry would be the most popular.

Most successful club in the last 10 years is Poole.

But the biggest speedway club is Belle Vue

Super Swindon smashing everyone, half the time without the world number 1.

Cookie"Robins will finish bottom".

In Rosco We Trust.

You mean the world number 5? He's not exactly guaranteed number 1 this year yet either...

Edited by Dandelion

They are currently the best team in the league. Because there are so many doubling up riders the team has the look of a Championship side (except obviously Doyle) so you can't compare against previous seasons. They do look title favourites at this stage.

Surely being a big club in any sport is gauged not on success.

Leeds and Newcastle and Sunderland are a bigger football clubs then Leicester........who has had most success recently?

Ask anyone in the street to name 5 speedway teams and i doubt anyone would say Poole.

Belle Vue, Cradley, Coventry would be the most popular.

Most successful club in the last 10 years is Poole.

But the biggest speedway club is Belle Vue

Your right is not just judged on success..that is why we have put all the other resons why poole have been the biggest club in the last ten years ..thats why your thing about football makes no sense at all .

They are currently the best team in the league. Because there are so many doubling up riders the team has the look of a Championship side (except obviously Doyle) so you can't compare against previous seasons. They do look title favourites at this stage.

For me it's either Wolverhampton or Swindon who'll win, I'd prefer to see Wolverhampton win because of Freddie, but either team would be good

Swindon were effectively giving away 3 points to the other teams when they signed Doyle on 13.41 but now they sit top of the table with 10 straight wins? Which team comes close in recent years?

For me, not Coventry 2007 because they relied heavily on Olly Allen's R/R and Poole 2008 and Wolves 2009 benefitted from Holder and Woffinden stepping up on false averages, the exact opposite of Doyle's. Then there's the great Poole 2010 side, run away table toppers, but thrashed by Coventry in the final. Since then, much of a muchness.

So step forward Swindon 2017, the best of all!

Relied on Olly Allen RR, no the make up of the team is what led us to success, 2 strong reserves at all times. Allen, Smolinski, Janniro and Risager all had spells at reserve, and then Johnno came in and had a spell at reserve at the end of the season. We must have been strong as Swindon bought in Damian Balinski at reserve...

Edited by Sir Jasper

Your right is not just judged on success..that is why we have put all the other resons why poole have been the biggest club in the last ten years ..thats why your thing about football makes no sense at all .

Yes in the last ten years maybe but why are we shortening the time span? In 2016 Leicester were the biggest football team then!

In the 1920's Huddersfield were the best football team?

Time of success is irrelevant.

So if its not gauged on success what is it gauged on??

It is based on history and prestige surely!!

Do you gauge it on support?

My thing about football makes perfect sense.

Surely the biggest clubs in football are Manchester United and Liverpool?..................But in the last 5 or 6 years Manchester City and Chelsea have won most things even Arsenal with 3 FA Cups. Yet they are not the biggest clubs.

Huddersfield have won the top league more times than Spurs yet who is the bigger club?

Poole are successful on the track 7 titles in the last 14 years.......but if Wolves win this year they will have 4 in the same amount of time.

Its simply been Pooles turn to dominate (bit like Huddersfield in the 1920's). They also have been the team in that time with the biggest financial backer.

Poole have been the 'biggest' club recently

But we can talk about this forever but no way in my mind are Poole in the top 3 of the biggest clubs of all time in Speedway.

Edited by Gavan

Butt you just brought that "of all time" into ot.

It is clear everyone elder has been saying that at the current time Poole are the biggest club.

If you talk "all time" then Preston North End are one of the biggest clubs. But reality is that now they are not.

You can hardly call Cradley or voventry big clubs now, despite their history.

Id say Poole, Aces then probably Wolves.

Taking into account success, crowds, name recognition etc.

Butt you just brought that "of all time" into ot.

It is clear everyone elder has been saying that at the current time Poole are the biggest club.

If you talk "all time" then Preston North End are one of the biggest clubs. But reality is that now they are not.

You can hardly call Cradley or voventry big clubs now, despite their history.

Id say Poole, Aces then probably Wolves.

Taking into account success, crowds, name recognition etc.

Success currently is Poole yes.

Crowds well still maybe Poole

Name recognition...not at all

But i look at it differently i guess.

Its opinions but i believe 'biggest' club is the name and crowds not what they have won.

Manchester United were still the biggest name in Football even in the 80's before they went on their winning run

Poole are currently the biggest draw as they have been successful.

And i wouldnt call Preston with 2 league wins in the 1800's as successful really or a big club!

My definition of biggest club differs but its opinions and im not arguing about it just discussing it

Yes in the last ten years maybe but why are we shortening the time span? In 2016 Leicester were the biggest football team then!

Surely the biggest clubs in football are Manchester United and Liverpool?..................But in the last 5 or 6 years Manchester City and Chelsea have won most things even Arsenal with 3 FA Cups. Yet they are not the biggest clubs.

Huddersfield have won the top league more times than Spurs yet who is the bigger club?

Poole are successful on the track 7 titles in the last 14 years.......but if Wolves win this year they will have 4 in the same amount of time.

Its simply been Pooles turn to dominate (bit like Huddersfield in the 1920's). They also have been the team in that time with the biggest financial backer.

But we can talk about this forever but no way in my mind are Poole in the top 3 of the biggest clubs of all time in Speedway.

Why would Leicester be the biggest club in football based on the logic that has been put forward ..i already said why Poole are the biggest club in the last ten years

..what have they got in common with why people are saying Poole are the biggest club ...do Leicester get the biggest crowds in the UK like Poole ?do they have the biggest budget like Poole, do they have the biggest sponsors like Poole ? of course not ,so they have nothing in common .so as i said your bit about football makes no sense or logic.as for the time scale I only said they were biggest in the last ten years and your reply was that it was untrue .not one person has said they were the biggest club of all time at any stage .

Edited by orion

We are talking about Speedway not football..