British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DC2

Is This Swindon Team The Best Of Recent Times?

For me Fundin was the best, won the first world final I saw 1963 at Wembley, Knutsson second, Briggo third, only time i saw Peter Craven.

When Sweden had the best riders. Briggs was best mid to late 60s, then Mauger ruled.

• Like 1

Fundin, Craven, Briggs, Moore and to a lesser degree, Knutsson, were head and shoulders above other riders from the mid 1950's to the early 1960's. They were so good that they introduced handicap racing for league matches and they were the back markers. It was difficult to choose who was the better of them, each had periods when they were the best. Fundin and Briggs won more World titles but people forget that Craven was only 29 when he died in 1963.

Edited by Aces51

It sounded like the golden age of speedway...

The boococks and Ray Wilson were The visitors I remember most..

If Swindon beat Wolves on Thursday will beat Coventry's record for this century set in 2007 currently 16.

Cradley have the record of 20 set in 1981, followed by Oxford with 19 in 85/86.

Edited by beefy keefy

And the league winners are ...... SWINDON!!!!! Who'd have thought it!

• Like 1

We haven't won anything! We have finished top - that's all!

Well, we lost by 12 with 2 extra points for a tactical ride so make that 14.

Masters retired twice with bike issues

Not to mention he's only half fit, as is Riss

R/R for Schlein only got 4

Freddie had a rare off night

Not a foregone conclusion if we were to make the final (we might not yet) but we will see. Playoffs are a different ballgame usually.

Edited by Perton Wolf

Well, we lost by 12 with 2 extra points for a tactical ride so make that 14.

Masters retired twice with bike issues

Not to mention he's only half fit, as is Riss

R/R for Schlein only got 4

Freddie had a rare off night

Not a foregone conclusion if we were to make the final (we might not yet) but we will see. Playoffs are a different ballgame usually.

No idea who are going to get, out of our hands..............................................................

This Swindon team have ripped up the form book and the majority expectations / predictions. Impossible to compare v previous Swindon teams, too much change. Good luck sustaining this form in the cup 😉 The play offs are the necessary evil - always a bonus if the table toppers win it.

Edited by Hodgy

If Swindon beat Wolves on Thursday will beat Coventry's record for this century set in 2007 currently 16.

Cradley have the record of 20 set in 1981, followed by Oxford with 19 in 85/86.

So, we're the best team of the last thirty years! Swindon 2017, will we ever see the like again?

So, we're the best team of the last thirty years! Swindon 2017, will we ever see the like again?

Sorry to correct you again - but we are the most successful team in the last thirty years - certainly not the best when you look at teams through the years as we now have such a watered down league.

I see in the speedway star that Doyle is unlikely to race over here next season

Could possibly be that the only gp riders who race over here will be Lindgren and Cook

It sounded like the golden age of speedway...

The boococks and Ray Wilson were The visitors I remember most..

It was far from golden as the late 50's saw rapid decline when at one stage the National league was down to 9 tracks plus a few non league tracks operating in the south.

Top riders didn't help or revive the sport it was the opening up of closed tracks under the Provincial league -a second division

of sorts with riders pulled out of retirement and juniors.

We have Mike Parker to thank for that who flew in the face of the 'establishment' and put on racing at rock bottom prices.

No frills or stars of sorts but created them - Ivan Mauger Charlie Monk Eric Boocock Norman Hunter Ray Wilson and some more.

I doubt we would have UK speedway now but for the introduction of this lower league and is something supporters should

bear in mind that today we are again looking at the sports decline through a lack of new riders coming through.

You obviously! But you are of course completely wrong. Swindon haven't won anything. Yet.

With the Robins being clear favourites (no one can dispute this) for the title, other teams can go into the playoffs with little to no pressure on the riders.

Can the Robins handle the pressure? Or will another club come sailing through to blow the Robins out of the water?

Poole V Coventry?

Swindon v Wolves?

It ain't over yet. All those wins in a row will be nothing more than a tearful memory of Swindon choke in the playoffs.

Nothing is certain.

Congratulations to Swindon on finishing top.

Whilst of course I hope Belle Vue are able to the trophy away in the end of season knockout lottery, in my old-fashioned and outdated view, Swindon are the champions.