British Speedway Forum
iainb

Why Not Work With The Poles?

That suggestion has been discussed a few times on the BSF. The trouble is the majority of speedway clubs operate in stadiums where they are only the tenants. Other regular events presumably take place in these stadiums on the other nights. Have you a suggestion as to how 'same night' speedway could take place in the UK bearing that factor in mind Trees?

Having two fixed race nights for Premiership and a different two for Championship, should give clubs enough flexibility. I don't believe this is beyond most clubs if they are willing to adapt.

Having two fixed race nights for Premiership and a different two for Championship, should give clubs enough flexibility. I don't believe this is beyond most clubs if they are willing to adapt.

And tbh you could give 5 nights to championship clubs, if they are prepared to deal with the fact that it means a greater probability of riders missing due to other commitments.

Personally i think it better for the future we try to bring our riders on rather than some guy stuck on the sidelines of a Polish club

Luke Priest (with all due respect to him) is hardly one for the future is he?

That was my thinking as well.

If we look at the example of Jacob Thorsell recently, Zielona Gora could have offered Andrei Karpov (who couldn't race as he doesn't qualify for a visa in the UK) or one of their junior riders who doesn't make it into their already weak reserve positions. It's hard to imagine any of the ones outside their team scoring anything over here.

Then you would have the problem that presumably anyone from ZG would have to race in the same team in the UK. Assuming Swindon already had a partnership with ZG for Doyle, when ZG signed Thorsell at the start of this season, would he have to have left Wolves to sign for Swindon?

If not you could have the situation where Doyle was unavailable as ZG were racing, but because they were using Karpov in the meeting they could offer Thorsell to Swindon as a replacement despite the fact that he's a Wolves rider... not much better than the current guest mess.

This does seem like a potential problem doesn't it... there is an answer though Henry, what is it?

You can only work WITH someone who wants to work WITH you. Do the Poles want to? Is it high on their agenda/ Of course we should work with them in some way if they sincerely believe it is in their best interests.

Perhaps the question is, does the BSPA want to work with the Poles? Have we ever really tried or do we go in with the attitude of the once great speedway nation we were? If the British Government and the IRA can sort something out it can't be beyond the realms of possibility that the BSPA can work with the Poles

I see the logic, but it means accepting we will always be second best when it comes to riders prioritising fixtures.

Not so, we most definitely are at the moment but who's to say in (many) years to come the roles may be reversed and we offer the big money and take the riders we want

Not only that the system basically means signing away any independance and you are going to be as good or bad as the Polish team you have a deal with.If a Polish team has a few riders who can't ride because of visa problems or because they won't(and lets not think the Poles can force everyone to ride.A sick note and you can forget it)then you have the leftovers,whilst your rivals have a deal with a team who have some strong youngsters and a couple of other middle order riders.You are pretty much saying the Polish team manager is the guy who is running your team as well.The sport is in bad shape now,but that would drive fans away in big numbers

You also are at the hands of possible chaos when your partner club gets relegated or gets into financial problems or just doesn't want to work with you anymore...

It seems that you are just intent to look at ways this couldn't work instead of looking at ways it could, try a glass half full approach. Something like this isn't going to work overnight, it'd take years for clubs to build up that trust/affinity. But you have to start somewhere.

• Like 1

You may call it forcing, I would probably call it honouring a signed contract between a rider and a club. How's the getting "our" riders to give us priority idea going at the moment? Ain't never going to happen, especially with episodes like what has just gone on at Peterborough. Sometimes you just have to face up to the fact that you (British Speedway) aren't the force you once were and start to look forward and not back

They wouldn't have riders sat on the sidelines not developing... and maybe, just maybe if we develop some of their riders, which we're doing anyway in a rather hap hazard way at the moment... we may just sneak some of ours in along the way. No I can't see it happening either but unless something radical happens where does UK speedway go... exactly why we should get in there before the Swedes. The one advantage British Speedway does have is the sheer number of matches that are staged

You mean like Luke Priest replacing KK for Rye House the other night?

Sorry but I just don't get this "develop some of their riders" why would they want one of their riders becoming adept at riding round something like Lakeside or some other mini track? It's hardly going to advantage their world domination aspirations, especially when the bulk of world events take place on Polish tracks or tracks that resemble them. Their rider development set up seems to be providing for their needs more than adequately already. Anyway I respect your idea, why not contact the chairman and ask for his opinion?

Sorry but I just don't get this "develop some of their riders" why would they want one of their riders becoming adept at riding round something like Lakeside or some other mini track? It's hardly going to advantage their world domination aspirations, especially when the bulk of world events take place on Polish tracks or tracks that resemble them. Their rider development set up seems to be providing for their needs more than adequately already. Anyway I respect your idea, why not contact the chairman and ask for his opinion?

The "bulk" of the world events (GP's) at least take place on small indoor circuits. I think it's long been accepted that the tighter UK tracks make you a better rider technically, look what has happened to the Danes since they stopped coming over here to learn their trade and instead opted to chase the money on the continent

Going from other posts on the various threads it would appear that riders got 200 for riding at Peterborough and Jack Holder got 900 a point for riding in Poland. If that is the case then there is only ever going to be one winner. Seems a bit pointless British Speedway even trying to compete head on with that kind of money. Surely it is time for the UK to accept that weekends are a no go for British Speedway above the NL level. Combined with all the doubling up, fixed race nights across the leagues are essential. Monday and Wednesday for Premier League and Tuesday, Thursday, Friday for Championship. We simply have to get to the point where we run on nights where the riders are available. Given the discrepancy in the money, expecting riders to be committed to the UK when there is a clash is not very realistic. We can talk about they have a contract, but the contract doesn't seem to matter when a Promoter wants to make a change to the team.

The "bulk" of the world events (GP's) at least take place on small indoor circuits. I think it's long been accepted that the tighter UK tracks make you a better rider technically, look what has happened to the Danes since they stopped coming over here to learn their trade and instead opted to chase the money on the continent

Yes and Polish riders who have never been here still dominate them.

Yes and Polish riders who have never been here still dominate them.

So a few of them are having a good season this season... this is not about the Poles... it's about saving British Speedway!

So a few of them are having a good season this season... this is not about the Poles... it's about saving British Speedway!

I think when push comes to shove, most fans would rather have a guest than a Polish junior replace one of their team's heatleaders.

Plus, in reality, this is a complex and costly set-up to solve a problem which only occurs a handful of times per season.

• Like 2

Cheap reply! Anyway it wont happen because Poland have never shown any interest in anything but Polish Speedway and I'm sure they'd be very happy if all professional Speedway was Polish.

Cheap reply! Anyway it wont happen because Poland have never shown any interest in anything but Polish Speedway and I'm sure they'd be very happy if all professional Speedway was Polish.

OK, Different Reply... 1 Polish World Champion in the last 43 years

It is in the interest of young polish riders to ride in England but the PGE and its teams don't share that view and certainly don't encourage it ,if your not a star in Poland your not well paid ,polish or otherwise , one under 21 pole was offered a really good deal to ride at reserve last season , his deal was based on points , if he scored up to 6 not including BP he was on poor points money but if he got 7 he was on mega money , only thing is he was partnered with the best reserve in the league so 9/10 he dropped points there and he only ever got 3 rides cause the other reserve got his others so hardly ever got his 7 points and ended up earning nothing ,he should of come to Britain where he was always in the team and had loads of meetings on different types of tracks and became a better all round rider , he did try to get a place in Britain but it never happened and now he is riding in a lower polish league

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

True, lots of World Cups though.

The "bulk" of the world events (GP's) at least take place on small indoor circuits.

Hard to know if you are on a wind up with some of the stuff you have come out with.The football thingmy and now this belter!!!!

• Like 2

It would if said Tracks are in rented Stadia. They may only have the option of one night only.

If it wasn't, then your solution is going to close down a Track.

Do I take it that certain Tracks are expendable then?

Because I think that that situation would be highly probable.

I was just about to say you were wrong. :unsure::blink:

Then I did the Math as the Americans would say. :t::)

Edited by The White Knight