British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest compost

Acu Track Permit Question

Guest compost

Anyone know if it is possible to get a list of ACU Track permits that have been issued (have looked on-line but I'm not that great with searches) ?

Anyone got any idea why a permit would have an 'R' in it ? - this comes from the file on the Speedway Researcher website about Eastern Speedways which says that Pakefield had ACU Permit 'No. R 52' in 1936

Cheers

The article also mentions that Norwich's licence at The Firs had a prefix R as well.

I have looked at some of my National League pre-War programmes from the same era and they don't have an R in front of the Permit no., so perhaps dave's punt is right.

Guest compost

A bit of a punt, but could the 'R' denote 'Restricted'?

That's pretty much in line with my thoughts.

However, it beggars the questions - what and why 'restricted' ? Any ideas/thought ?

The other question raised by the file is that if Pakefield/Norwich licence number was '52' then who were the other 51 (minimum) tracks ? I have 7 NL tracks, 6 PL (not counting West Ham Hawks as surely they'd come under West Hams licence) plus 17 non-league venues (including Pakefield & Norwich so really 16). So who were the other 22 venues (if I've got my mental arithimatic right) ?

Not sure it worked like that.

That's pretty much in line with my thoughts.

However, it beggars the questions - what and why 'restricted' ? Any ideas/thought ?

The other question raised by the file is that if Pakefield/Norwich licence number was '52' then who were the other 51 (minimum) tracks ? I have 7 NL tracks, 6 PL (not counting West Ham Hawks as surely they'd come under West Hams licence) plus 17 non-league venues (including Pakefield & Norwich so really 16). So who were the other 22 venues (if I've got my mental arithimatic right) ?

Not sure it worked like that. Norwich's licence number was R366

Has anyone considered contacting the Press Office at the ACU in regard to this matter? I have always found them to be extremely co-operative. Look the ACU address details up on Google if needs be to find their address and contacts.

Guest compost

Not sure it worked like that.

Not sure it worked like that. Norwich's licence number was R366

Thanks Norbold. For some reason I thought that Norwich's licence was R52 (as I understood Pakefield to have taken it over). However you are correct as the source does quote R366 as being Norwich's. I also thought that the licence was only valid for the year (season?) issued in and had to be renewed, and reissued and hence possibly renumbered, each year (which would make R366 appear to have been one of Many venues then !)

I wonder if the R simply means 'registered' in that case.

Has anyone considered contacting the Press Office at the ACU in regard to this matter? I have always found them to be extremely co-operative. Look the ACU address details up on Google if needs be to find their address and contacts.

Didn't think of that - did look at the website and didn't think it would have anything useful like that on it. May well try them now though.

Thanks for the help everyone.