British Speedway Forum
Mark

Bt Sport Coverage

The Return - I cannot say obviously from a BSPA/Go Speed side about Speedway returning to Sky sports whether they would be interested but from a Sky side the door is not closed and locked,

if the conditions were right and some of the improvements that Sky have previously suggested have been implemented like reduced entry fees and more promotions combined with the positive viewing figures has not gone unnoticed by the powers that be at Sky especially with how some recent tv rights auctions have gone for other sports and rebranding of channels.

Speedway would actually be a good fit for Sky sports Action channel with regular live content.

Unfortunately the end decision is not with me otherwise we would be having a UHD 24camera & Dolby Atmos super production

Thanks Flagrag for this and the many other informative posts ref: TV coverage

I just feel if the BSPA would get their heads out of the sand and allow an independent body to control speedway in the UK, then things like TV exposure, media coverage etc would improve and more importantly the sport could get an ounce or two of credibility back, because at the moment is really doesn't have any!

Edited by The H Man
  • Like 1

Unlike in the Sky days, there is no "studio" for Kelvin and Nigel and yesterday their position, next to the referee, was changed very late on because Mick Bates did not want them in such close proximity.

Can't blame him, how is a referee meant to focus when Pearson is screaming like a demented fool all night!

Can't blame him, how is a referee meant to focus when Pearson is screaming like a demented fool all night!

This really is my only complaint.

As i understand it, BT use the same outside broadcast people as Sky did, the only difference being that they have cut back on number of cameras. Occasionally the lack of an odd camera shows, but on the whole I don't see much difference.

The big improvement from BT is Natalie. We now have a knowledgeable presenter asking sensible questions instead of a disinterested bimbo asking "are you going to make any changes for your next ride".

The improvement most needed is from Sir Shoutalot and his nodding dog. Surely they are there to commentate and not just shout "WOOOOOAAAAHHHHHHH" whenever there's any kind of incident.

e.g. In football, if someone comes in with a rash two-footed tackle the commentator may say "That was a rash two-footed tackle from Player X".... he wouldn't shout "WOOOOOOAAAAAHHHHHHHH"

So would it be too much too ask Sir Shoutalot to describe a rash run up the inside knocking off rider X as "a rash move up the inside" rather than a "WOOOOOAAAAHHH"?

Edited by WalterPlinge

VERY unlikely. Probably the best the BSPA can hope for is that BT Sport continue, which seems likely, and contribute more towards the production costs which currently are at a bare minimum.

But we should be grateful that BT are prepared to show speedway on a regular basis and stop nit-picking when people are doing their best with very limited resources.

That is fine but will the clubs want to have lower numbers at a meeting and offer a lower admission price, Swindon - Kings Lynn being £5 later this month, because it is on TV without any payment from the tv organisation.

e.g. In football, if someone comes in with a rash two-footed tackle the commentator may say "That was a rash two-footed tackle from Player X".... he wouldn't shout "WOOOOOOAAAAAHHHHHHHH"

So would it be too much too ask Sir Shoutalot to describe a rash run up the inside knocking off rider X as "a rash move up the inside" rather than a "WOOOOOAAAAHHH"?

Yep, if you want to make it seem entirely boring.

This is actually one of speedways biggest issues. Total lack of atmosphere, even when something exciting happens. The sport should be about "Whhoooaahhh" not a wave of the programme board.

• Like 1

That is fine but will the clubs want to have lower numbers at a meeting and offer a lower admission price, Swindon - Kings Lynn being £5 later this month, because it is on TV without any payment from the tv organisation.

No they won`t- they know that BT pay good money for the SGP/SWC contract. If there is no money on the table for league speedway they might as well set up their own on line streaming service.

• Like 1

Well I was at the Hosted v Fjelsted meeting shown on Danish TV last week.It was free to get in and they had a crowd of 4,100+,when their average attendance is more like 1,500+.But they looked like they made decent money from food and drink sales,which in their case goes to the speedway club.Of course in the UK that isn't always the case

At least BT Sport are showing speedway for the many people who cannot get to the meetings, easy to criticise but I would sooner have a few relatively minor imperfections than no speedway at all. Remember this is the first year BT have covered speedway so give them some slack rather than moan, moan, moan

Typical speedway response. It's a rubbish response. If people don't criticise things don't get better.

The BT Sport direction and camera work is poor. It needs to be said. The graphics have got better since they started which is something a few people criticised early on so rent do listen.

The people dong these jobs won't, like speedway riders, cry if you say they're doing a bad job. The people in TV are big boys and girls who take criticism and feedback and act in it to make it better. Personally I've never work with so many perfectionist, so criticise l and they WILL make it better.

Philip Rising- I am not sure why the CloudBass OB lads keep putting the comms team in with the referee.

This caused issues at Leicester and Luckily Chris Durno agreed as a one off otherwise they were going to have to do it from the truck

The only extra trucks Sky used to bring was a catering unit as there was more staff involved now they have to make their own tea & coffee.

To some this will sound pathetic but trust me, that a poor choice. Most of the guys working in TV will have come off the back of days, weeks even recording and reversing for 12-14 hours a day on something else. The chance for a decent meal comes from catering and it's often bloody good. You also need runners bringing you tea, coffee, sweets and biscuits because you often don't even have to time to run off to the toilet in the run up to a show as your checking everything and can't run off during a show as you're either working or need to be there should something fail.

Teams, people and companies will soon learn this and won't work where corners are being cut like this. What you'll then get are the poor contractors and companies that rather ban rehersing and testing will be off to buy food and gets drinks. If they're doing that the attention to detail slips and it's why to end up with a shoddy production.

Typical speedway response. It's a rubbish response. If people don't criticise things don't get better.

The BT Sport direction and camera work is poor. It needs to be said. The graphics have got better since they started which is something a few people criticised early on so rent do listen.

The people dong these jobs won't, like speedway riders, cry if you say they're doing a bad job. The people in TV are big boys and girls who take criticism and feedback and act in it to make it better. Personally I've never work with so many perfectionist, so criticise l and they WILL make it better.

BUT, of course, not everyone will agree with the criticism and that might include those in charge. Just saying ...

Philip Rising- I am not sure why the CloudBass OB lads keep putting the comms team in with the referee.

This caused issues at Leicester and Luckily Chris Durno agreed as a one off otherwise they were going to have to do it from the truck

NO idea but having dinner with Sainty tonight so will ask him.

Yep, if you want to make it seem entirely boring.

Well football isn't boring when the commentator actually describes the action rather than making random monkey noises.

Perhaps if Pearson and sidekick actually described what's happening instead of making random noises, Speedway might seem more exciting?

I am confident that SKY are gone for good....too busy putting millions into football etc to entertain Speedway.

It is being done a budget .... better that than none at all.

No they won`t- they know that BT pay good money for the SGP/SWC contract. If there is no money on the table for league speedway they might as well set up their own on line streaming service.

It's an interesting idea. Given the pennies Premier Sports are likely paying for the Swedish/Polish rights, a half decent proposition could be put together for a relatively low outlay.

It's an interesting idea. Given the pennies Premier Sports are likely paying for the Swedish/Polish rights, a half decent proposition could be put together for a relatively low outlay.

BUT who is going to pay or the production costs?

Well football isn't boring when the commentator actually describes the action rather than making random monkey noises.

Perhaps if Pearson and sidekick actually described what's happening instead of making random noises, Speedway might seem more exciting?

ARE you seriously suggesting they don't describe what is happening?