British Speedway Forum
Mark

Bt Sport Coverage

I'm thinking more and more that we'll see the birth of the "BT Mobile Premiership" and that will see BT pick up the coverage "FOC" but some form of sponsorship for the league rights over two years and the promoters will have to use that money to offset when their meetings go out live

Or, to look at it another way. Keeping Jason Doyle at Swindon might not add 250 to the gate at Swindon, but getting rid of him might lose 250.

Also, look at Swindon and Wolves last year. They had GP riders, and reaped the benefits of that with bigger crowds and a play-off final due to having a winning side.

I think you're being too specific in saying that Swindon and Wolves reaped the benefits because they had SGP riders. When thinking back, Both Freddie and Jason were in the teams at the start of the season, but it wasn't until the promoters made changes lower down the order did both teams start winning regularly.

Of cause GP riders are important, but so are the rest of the team. It is only when you are winning does the crowd increase, and that would happen whether they were GP riders or not. Belle Vue is a prime example of that.......

At the end of the day the costs have to be met . If clubs can afford these GP riders, then go for it. It not then they have to cut the material to suit.

• Like 3

I think you're being too specific in saying that Swindon and Wolves reaped the benefits because they had SGP riders. When thinking back, Both Freddie and Jason were in the teams at the start of the season, but it wasn't until the promoters made changes lower down the order did both teams start winning regularly.

Of cause GP riders are important, but so are the rest of the team. It is only when you are winning does the crowd increase, and that would happen whether they were GP riders or not. Belle Vue is a prime example of that.......

At the end of the day the costs have to be met . If clubs can afford these GP riders, then go for it. It not then they have to cut the material to suit.

Bit of a coincidence, though, that the two teams with GP stars ended up as the top two teams is it not? Sure, both sides made changes, but Lindgen and Doyle were vital in their success.

The reason Swindon were able to make that change is because they were struggling at the bottom of the league because of the attempts to force Doyle out of the league anyway, by giving him that ridiculous average which dropped by about 4 points.

For Swindon to get its first World Champion in all the time that I have been going to speedway was amazing for the supporters.

If clubs need to cut their cloth then fine, just don't force other clubs to do the same.

It might not be the case with all fans, but I, personally, want to see the top riders. I'm sure BT do, too, if they plan to continue coverage.

Edited by grachan
  • Like 2

Bit of a coincidence, though, that the two teams with GO stars ended up as the top two teams is it not? Sure, both sides made changes, but Lindgen and Doyle were vital in their success.

The reason Swindon were able to make that change is because they were struggling at the bottom of the league because of the attempts to force Doyle out of the league anyway, by giving him that ridiculous average which dropped by about 4 points.

For Swindon to get its first World Champion in all the time that I have been going to speedway was amazing for the supporters.

If clubs need to cut their cloth then fine, just don't force other clubs to do the same.

It might not be the case with all fans, but I, personally, want to see the top riders. I'm sure BY do, too, if they plan to continue coverage.

Coincidence, probably, but the only gamble picking Doyle was his injuries..... Like you, we took that gamble on a GP rider with the inflated averages knowing they were only counted when the teams were being assembled. But our GP rider was crap. along with others who thought all you had to do was turn up. Without doubt our best riders were those of lesser standings, who rode their hearts out everytime...

• Like 1

One thing Holder and Batch are assured of when they make a return to the AFA is a warm reception from the fans :wink:

• Like 2

But surely if you a league with say five of the eight teams with a GP rider in their team, and the others without a big hitter,

how will that work, oh yes the teams with the big hitters will be in the playoffs.

Coincidence, probably, but the only gamble picking Doyle was his injuries..... Like you, we took that gamble on a GP rider with the inflated averages knowing they were only counted when the teams were being assembled. But our GP rider was crap. along with others who thought all you had to do was turn up. Without doubt our best riders were those of lesser standings, who rode their hearts out everytime...

Maybe Holder was a disappointment, but if you'd kept him in the side King's Lynn would probably have been in the play-offs too instead of struggling to stay away from the bottom.

The only team in the top four without a GP rider would then have been Belle Vue - who had a rider who has qualified for next year's GP.

For those who may be interested, BT Sport's Natalie Quirk will be the guest of the NSSC this Wednesday evening (15th Nov) 8pm start.

Everybody is welcome with a £3 entry fee for non-members. All money raised goes to the GB Young Lions.

Come and enjoy an evening in Natalie's company and meet up with some familiar faces.

The venue is;

The Brandon Club

Main Street

Brandon

Coventry

CV8 3HW

For all details; https://www.nuneatonspeedwaysupportersclub.co.uk

Great news

That'll keep the armchair supporters happy, save them having to pay their entrance money at the turnstiles

Another coffin nail hammered in

That'll keep the armchair supporters happy, save them having to pay their entrance money at the turnstiles

Another coffin nail hammered in

If they are that tight I cant imagine too many paying for subscription tv....

If they are that tight I cant imagine too many paying for subscription tv....

Check your sums - BT subscription per month v Admission + travel each meeting

Decent saving without being tight

Edited by Midland Red