British Speedway Forum
Mark

Bt Sport Coverage

That'll keep the armchair supporters happy, save them having to pay their entrance money at the turnstiles

Another coffin nail hammered in

Where the hell is this rule that if you watch speedway on TV then you can't watch it live?

Of course there isn't one and life is a damn sight more complex than option A - watch on TV - or B - Go to a match.

And they try to claim that promoters are blinkered!

I am happy to watch as much speedway as I can, either in person or on TV, because it's a sport that I love and have loved for nearly fifty years now. I have watched the sport live and on TV, and have helped to make it happen both live and on TV. In recent years ill-health has denied me the chance to watch live and TV has been a lifeline. Thankfully things are set to change for me next year and I will be able to get out to see meetings live. In the past I've watched live speedway seven nights/days a week and would now if I could. I can't but I don't see why I should be denied the chance to keep in touch via TV.

Noggin's point about losing tracks is a very relevant one. In my case I lost my track 44 years ago!

I find it deeply insulting that some simple-minded 'supporters' think that you can't watch on TV AND go to meetings live. Life isn't just made up of binary choices - one extreme or another!

I'm sure I'm not the only person who loves to do both. It's simplistic, lazy and stupid thinking to 'think' that it has to be one or the other.

Serious question, but what exactly are the "highlights" of speedway? We don't have goals, knockouts, touchdown etc. Would you show the best heat from each meeting? That doesn't exactly articulate the balance of a meeting, in the same way showing the goals from both teams shows the ebb and flow of a football match.

You can give coherent, complete coverage of a 15 heat match easily in half an hour. No need for 'highlights' packages.

The sport needs TV coverage and it needs to see the at home audience grow over the next few years to show the sport is progressing even if in reality it's TV figures, people love progressive sports and it needs that opportunity in order for it to become worth paying for, use BT even if free, grow the audience to sell to another broadcaster

Most sports that have lost TV coverage or have never had it are desperate to either get it back (ice hockey/basketball) or have been prepared to pay to get coverage started (netball).

Only speedway could be so moronic to even think of turning TV away.

• Like 4

Speedway needs TV..without it it just becomes more and more a virtually amateur sport that virtually nobody watches..

There is a bigger picture than saying matches cannot be televised when other tracks are running..the publicity generated by being on TV cannot be over emphasised and if promoters cannot capitalise on that in any way then they should not be promoters.

There is a lot wrong with speedway but there will be even more wrong if they don't get TV.

• Like 7

Where the hell is this rule that if you watch speedway on TV then you can't watch it live?

Of course there isn't one and life is a damn sight more complex than option A - watch on TV - or B - Go to a match.

And they try to claim that promoters are blinkered!

I am happy to watch as much speedway as I can, either in person or on TV, because it's a sport that I love and have loved for nearly fifty years now. I have watched the sport live and on TV, and have helped to make it happen both live and on TV. In recent years ill-health has denied me the chance to watch live and TV has been a lifeline. Thankfully things are set to change for me next year and I will be able to get out to see meetings live. In the past I've watched live speedway seven nights/days a week and would now if I could. I can't but I don't see why I should be denied the chance to keep in touch via TV.

Noggin's point about losing tracks is a very relevant one. In my case I lost my track 44 years ago!

I find it deeply insulting that some simple-minded 'supporters' think that you can't watch on TV AND go to meetings live. Life isn't just made up of binary choices - one extreme or another!

I'm sure I'm not the only person who loves to do both. It's simplistic, lazy and stupid thinking to 'think' that it has to be one or the other.

You can give coherent, complete coverage of a 15 heat match easily in half an hour. No need for 'highlights' packages.

Most sports that have lost TV coverage or have never had it are desperate to either get it back (ice hockey/basketball) or have been prepared to pay to get coverage started (netball).

Only speedway could be so moronic to even think of turning TV away.

But I've seen - as an example - the different levels of crowd attendance at Brandon, over many seasons, for a televised meeting compared with that when it wasn't televised

There was a significant lowering of attendees

I guess other tracks will have seen the same or similar (I exclude the play-offs from this - I'm talking about regular league meetings)

After a number of years not attending speedway it was the television coverage that got me back watching at the stadiums.

Without the TV coverage I wouldn't probably have been attending the last 18 years or so. Nearest track is 50 miles each way.

• Like 1

Highlights would show the significant heats during a meeting, other exciting heats, action in the pits, quick interviews with the team manager, riders during the drama of a meeting, scenes from the crowd, jubilant, angry etc .....

• Like 1

Highlights would show the significant heats during a meeting, other exciting heats, action in the pits, quick interviews with the team manager, riders during the drama of a meeting, scenes from the crowd, jubilant, angry etc .....

think you go to watch different meetings to me .

think you go to watch different meetings to me .

Your cup is half empty m8 :) In EVERY meeting there are significant heats, exciting heats etc etc

Your cup is half empty m8 :) In EVERY meeting there are significant heats, exciting heats etc etc

if only each club had a few thousand fans like you up and down the country the sport would be saved .

YET to be approved by the BSPA, not all of whom perceive any advantage from having British speedway televised.

Words truly fail sometimes to describe how clueless the people running our sport really are....!

• Like 1

Speedway in the UK is going to end up dying up it's own exhaust pipe anyway. Walking away from it being on TV will just hasten the end. They have never considered Pay Per View streaming which could bring in another revenue stream. The "dinosaurs" are not us old grey-haired fans lingering on the terraces.

Hearing rumours now of no tv in 2018. Why on earth wasnt the tv deal sorted before the agm?

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

Speedway in the UK is going to end up dying up it's own exhaust pipe anyway. Walking away from it being on TV will just hasten the end. They have never considered Pay Per View streaming which could bring in another revenue stream. The "dinosaurs" are not us old grey-haired fans lingering on the terraces.

I had a proposal for PPV live streaming before I left the BSPA. It was when I was worried about the sky TV deal not being renewed last time around.

5 years later and words fail me if this is not a back up option to a BT sport deal not being concluded this season.

Hearing rumours now of no tv in 2018. Why on earth wasnt the tv deal sorted before the agm?

Some clubs will have to reduce their expenditure or get out and raise more sponsorship and income from other sources.

• Like 1