British Speedway Forum
Mark

Bt Sport Coverage

I had a proposal for PPV live streaming before I left the BSPA. It was when I was worried about the sky TV deal not being renewed last time around.

5 years later and words fail me if this is not a back up option to a BT sport deal not being concluded this season.

This would be fairly easy to implement and would bring in very good money to clubs. Either a £20 monthly subscription to watch all televised meetings or a fiver a meeting. Today the technology is there to get up and running in no time at all. Just need a company willing to do this and I am sure there are several who would love to have the opportunity like Pete Ballinger or Rerun.

Time for clubs to become pro active and get this income source online. All that is reuired is a fast broadband and most stadiums have this facility.

• Like 1

Absolute amateurs running British Speedway, PPV live streaming would be easy to implement and wouldn't incur the subsiding of production costs like a TV meeting. A 5er a meeting could attract plenty of British viewers and those from abroad too.

I would pay that for other meetings from around the country. I would start with every Swindon away meeting.

Exactly this. PPV Streaming. I think a huge amount of people would pay for this either through subscription or the one offs for their away team meetings.

Set this up through a main channel that manages the feeds, links and subscriptions and you are away!

The great thing is that the expectation bar will be so low, customers will be happy with a single camera and no commentary / production value. Clubs could litterally setup a webcam on their home straight and people would pay to watch that.

• Like 1

Absolute amateurs running British Speedway, PPV live streaming would be easy to implement and wouldn't incur the subsiding of production costs like a TV meeting. A 5er a meeting could attract plenty of British viewers and those from abroad too.

can you call them amateurs i reckon no hopers is a better discription :shock:

Exactly this. PPV Streaming. I think a huge amount of people would pay for this either through subscription or the one offs for their away team meetings.

Set this up through a main channel that manages the feeds, links and subscriptions and you are away!

The great thing is that the expectation bar will be so low, customers will be happy with a single camera and no commentary / production value. Clubs could litterally setup a webcam on their home straight and people would pay to watch that.

Just get it going, the quality and better coverage can always be improved and follow later.

Just get it going, the quality and better coverage can always be improved and follow later.

It's been my "prayer" for two or three years and if the even basic level of broadcast were adequate to enjoy what's going on I would be much, much more likely to pay for and enjoy "away" matches that I cannot any longer get to ( or afford to ). My interest and passion in exciting, close racing remains undiminished after more than 60 years.

• Like 1

This would be fairly easy to implement and would bring in very good money to clubs. Either a £20 monthly subscription to watch all televised meetings or a fiver a meeting. Today the technology is there to get up and running in no time at all. Just need a company willing to do this and I am sure there are several who would love to have the opportunity like Pete Ballinger or Rerun.

Time for clubs to become pro active and get this income source online. All that is reuired is a fast broadband and most stadiums have this facility.

Ice Hockey do this, I believe Pete Ballinger does it for Coventry Blaze. Think it's £7 per broadcast but a season subscription would be great. I would pay to watch meetings that i had zero chance of attending.

• Like 1

Its a no brainer if there are no contracts in place blocking this like in previous years.

£0 gate money for the away supporter who can't / wont travel VS £3 PPV money for the supporter who would watch a basic stream from home to follow his / her team...

• Like 1

It's been my "prayer" for two or three years and if the even basic level of broadcast were adequate to enjoy what's going on I would be much, much more likely to pay for and enjoy "away" matches that I cannot any longer get to ( or afford to ). My interest and passion in exciting, close racing remains undiminished after more than 60 years.

As far as quality goes obviously someone like Re Run and other companies who produce official video of meetings would be good, but I have been happy to watch the odd race from a race from someones phone on utube.

Its a no brainer if there are no contracts in place blocking this like in previous years.

£0 gate money for the away supporter who can't / wont travel VS £3 PPV money for the supporter who would watch a basic stream from home to follow his / her team...

The flip side to this is how many home fans would stay at home and watch on PPV for 3 quid, rather than pay £17 to attending in person?

I agree that superficially PPV sounds like a fantastic idea, but I can't get past the fact that I don't think the numbers add up.

• Like 1

The flip side to this is how many home fans would stay at home and watch on PPV for 3 quid, rather than pay £17 to attending in person?

I would imagine similar numbers to those who stayed at home and watched on sky, at a guess. The quality of these streams is unlikely to be anything close to a camera crew setup so I would imagine it similar to a betting style feed that would serve a purpose as opposed to being an alternative to going.

I would imagine a PPV stream solution to be something to bring in a bit of extra income to the tracks for supporters who wouldn't otherwise be able to make the meeting, rather than watching a weak stream of probably one maybe 2 cameras max at a low quality instead of going to the meeting proper.

Could be wrong though, interesting topic for sure and would be crazy for it not to be looked into seriously and trialed at a few tracks if there is no TV coverage.