British Speedway Forum
Mark

Bt Sport Coverage

So because Sky rip you off you won't do business with BT out of principle? How curious. Sky get it wrong and you punish BT and yourself.

(Principal has a different meaning by the way).

I made a decision.

For my family the Sky package is more important than BT.

I decided not to pay BT as to be honest don't think its worth the money just for one meeting per week (and even then not every week). That's league meetings by the way.

My point being anyway, how many more were there like me who probably cldnt be bothered to pay out even more money just to see Speedway once per week (and not every week). I think there were probably a lot more who didn't than probably did.

I am not surprised if BT do decide its not worth it as not enough support. Hopefully they will keep the GP though for those who want to watch the top guys racing. If that also goes then the sport really is in a bit of trouble.

Just my opinion.

From what I have been told by a few sources is that BT had offered a tv deal to British Speedway subject to a few conditions being met etc £10 entry,a min amount of GP riders.

However some promotions over value what they think British Speedway tv rights are worth and think that they should be getting Thousands just for the rights to allow BT to broadcast the racing.

Then of course you have Terry & Ron Russell in the middle if BT offer just a meeting fee to the clubs or nothing but do cover the production costs how do old Tel & Ron make their money

I have sympathy for the promotions who want to get a deal done, however you have to wonder how they ever got into this ridiculous scenario of not having the deal done before the AGM.

Would look really stupid if the league had to meet up again and bring in new rules to try and lower costs.

• Like 2

I made a decision.

For my family the Sky package is more important than BT.

I decided not to pay BT as to be honest don't think its worth the money just for one meeting per week (and even then not every week). That's league meetings by the way.

My point being anyway, how many more were there like me who probably cldnt be bothered to pay out even more money just to see Speedway once per week (and not every week). I think there were probably a lot more who didn't than probably did.

I am not surprised if BT do decide its not worth it as not enough support. Hopefully they will keep the GP though for those who want to watch the top guys racing. If that also goes then the sport really is in a bit of trouble.

Just my opinion.

I have Virgin, anyone who has the XL package automatically gets all BT sports in HD,one can add all Sky sports at an extra cost which is on a par to Sky's cost, however if one has the Sky package then wants BT also they can only do this by having a separate contract with BT,all pie in the sky now, if BT don't have the 2018 SGP's then I shall be downgrading my Virgin contract as Speedway is the only live sport I will watch.

So because Sky rip you off you won't do business with BT out of principle? How curious. Sky dumped speedway but still rip you off so you punish BT and yourself. You're not being held to ransom. Sky overcharged so naturally competition came in. BT cover speedway because Sky dropped it, first internationally, then domestically There is a service, and that has a price. Nobody's kidnapped your gerbil. ;-)

(Principal has a different meaning by the way).

Are you "Rob McCaffery" or "Rob McCaffrey"? The latter used to be on Sky Sports, according to wikipedia

I have sympathy for the promotions who want to get a deal done, however you have to wonder how they ever got into this ridiculous scenario of not having the deal done before the AGM.

Would look really stupid if the league had to meet up again and bring in new rules to try and lower costs.

And this no doubt exactly where we are at present. Led up the garden path yet again by the ineptitude of the BSPA.

• Like 1

Or even worse get rid of or change contracts for riders already signed.

From what I have been told by a few sources is that BT had offered a tv deal to British Speedway subject to a few conditions being met a min amount of GP riders.

This must be a concern, especially now Doyle has gone from Swindon, could he end up elsewhere?

What would this minimum be? Half of the teams to have a GP rider?? Holder to Poole, Lindgren/Wolves, Belle Vue/Zagar? King's Lynn???

Apparently at the Peterborough forum tonight there Promoter stated there would be no TV money this season

According to CVS at the wolves talk in, no deal has been reached yet. 3 year deal on the table but some clubs are reluctant to sign up.

I had a proposal for PPV live streaming before I left the BSPA. It was when I was worried about the sky TV deal not being renewed last time around.

5 years later and words fail me if this is not a back up option to a BT sport deal not being concluded this season.

I also proposed this to Keith last winter alongside many other ideas, I used online streaming for my MMA promotion and it was very successful and could be done on a budget

I was told yeah I'll arrange a meeting with you in a few weeks and nothing happened, I was willing to meet anytime any place but gave up after the second attempt

Also giving up on the sport as well, had an engine deal for the past few months ready for a rider but it would seem most have been brain washed by the stupidity of the BSPA and don't see a good deal

I also proposed this to Keith last winter alongside many other ideas, I used online streaming for my MMA promotion and it was very successful and could be done on a budget

I was told yeah I'll arrange a meeting with you in a few weeks and nothing happened, I was willing to meet anytime any place but gave up after the second attempt

Also giving up on the sport as well, had an engine deal for the past few months ready for a rider but it would seem most have been brain washed by the stupidity of the BSPA and don't see a good deal

And there lies the heart of the problem. Buster is either too busy, or set on everything always being done his way ( very arrogant if actually so ) and although he often asks for 'feedback'. it's paying lip service to the idea and anything that comes in is ignored.

With no mega bucks TV deal likely the PPV could add significantly to the budget of many tracks AND let speedway UK genuinely enter the 21st Century. JC says he looked at it five years ago as a back up plan - but it has seemingly been left at the back of the shed to go rusty.

According to CVS at the wolves talk in, no deal has been reached yet. 3 year deal on the table but some clubs are reluctant to sign up.

You could understand the stance if there was more than one channel bidding for it. Ridiculous.

Why would BT want to take on the rights for a league which is looking to force GP riders away rather than attracting them? The sport is run like an absolute farce. The 9pt average rule for all GP riders (as revealed at the Wolves talk in last night) sums it up really, along with the stupid one rider over 8pt rule......I think we know which clubs we have to thank for that b

• Like 4

The BT deal works for those promoters and riders who have the vision and drive to capitalise on a broadcast meeting as an excellent opportunity to showcase sponsors. If they just sit back and don't make the effort then they would be out of pocket. I'm think BT are realistic in sort of saying that they are providing the platform but the sport needs to make an effort too, not just sit back and wait for a cheque.

• Like 6

If a 9pt average for gp rider's as been agreed I presume it includes rider already riding in this country . Also if the bspa walk's away from a TV deal that would make a TV deal in the future look very bleak indeed imo

• Like 1