British Speedway Forum
Mark

Bt Sport Coverage

With this rule of only one rider over 8 per team, that kills the requirement of a minimum of 7 GP riders, as we have 8 teams and 7 riders over 8 points, some of whom are not current GP riders.

I wonder if the bspa will accept the deal and get rid of this daft one over 8 rule.

Edited by A ORLOV

I find it utterly inconceivable that any promoter would turn that deal down. If they do, then speedway in this country is screwed. For the sake of the sport name those who are against this deal,utter, utter delusional idiots.

• Like 2

I had the opportunity to have a good catch up with some former colleagues yesterday after a trade event at the Oval in London they gave me the latest as far they are aware from the BT side.

Deal has been offered to BSPA which is that BT will cover all production costs and each staging club will get a £3000 meeting fee.

In return BT want minimum of 7 GP riders in the league, a minimum of 10 meetings to televise, All TV meetings apart from finals to be £10 or complimentary and full co operation of all clubs with regards to fixtures so the best meetings can be broadcast.

Now some promotors are refusing to sign the deal as they feel they are being undervalued and that they are looking for more money per meeting and want some payment towards rights.

It has to be all clubs or none that's the deal I just hope the No brigade can be convinced soon to save the deal.

I’d be interested to know the attendance figures for televised meetings against non televised meetings.

• Like 1

I had the opportunity to have a good catch up with some former colleagues yesterday after a trade event at the Oval in London they gave me the latest as far they are aware from the BT side.

Deal has been offered to BSPA which is that BT will cover all production costs and each staging club will get a £3000 meeting fee.

In return BT want minimum of 7 GP riders in the league, a minimum of 10 meetings to televise, All TV meetings apart from finals to be £10 or complimentary and full co operation of all clubs with regards to fixtures so the best meetings can be broadcast.

Now some promotors are refusing to sign the deal as they feel they are being undervalued and that they are looking for more money per meeting and want some payment towards rights.

It has to be all clubs or none that's the deal I just hope the No brigade can be convinced soon to save the deal.

Ok so i would say bspa would be mad to not sign this deal

However if BT Sport want 7 GP riders they need to understand that clubs need to pay these guys over the duration of the season and clubs will be lucky to get 2 or more televised meetings so £6k won't cover a GP riders salary for a full season

So what BT Sport are offering is damaging to the sport imo

A compromise must be met and a £3k match fee based on current team building should be agreeable with a view of BT Sport increasing involvement in the future to attract GP riders

But the BSPA need to submit a 5 years orbit plan to show how the sport can be progressed with BT involvement

BT offering 3K to televise a live meeting is taking the P. Seriously. That is 150 people through the turnstiles at normal prices and 300 at a tenner. Clubs could easily lose 300 for a bt meeting meaning they are seriously out of pocket. No wonder some are not happy. Cant say I blame the promoters to be honest. BT can offer more and should offer more.

BSPA would make a stack load more money going ppv online with a fiver a meeting to watch the feed. Plus they can still charge £17 entry.

I should imagine 10,000 a meeting would be a fairer price for gp riders and a tenner entry.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

This thread amazes me, There should never be any question about the need for a deal with BT. Speedway is in desperate need of a wider audience, advertising if you like, TV gives that to both the sport and riders. Very few products become popular without exposure to the public, corn flakes, cars, airlines etc etc all are all advertised on TV - getting the product known is vital. Granted the actual product has to be half decent but that's another topic!

Getting a minority sport onto TV is not easy, you can spend many hours trying to find a suitable production company (not easy) who will then get slots on Sky or whatever, but it costs money and is certainly not viable on a weekly basis. Never tried to get a live event out there but I imagine that would be extra difficult. IMO opinion if BT are going to do the job for free then speedway in it's current state should bite their hands off.

I've seen the cycle speedway from Australia, it's fine but I suspect the only people who will watch periscope are those who have an interest in the first place,

Absolutely no question of a doubt for me. We need BT of any TV company that wants to take the sport on.

As previously proved plenty were watching the various previous coverage that some had filmed on periscope of speedway which shows people will watch a sport they love on any platform they can.

It's only when SKY and then the club's clamped down on the recordings that halted the coverage on periscope.

What we need is a major player, and BT seem to want us.

Can't believe there isnt one promoter that can't see the bigger picture - other than the one that cares only about lining their own pockets.

• Like 1

What you guys dont realise is the fact that the sport is dying over here.

Sky got out and now BT are taking the mickey because they hold all the cards.

British Speedway needs a TV contract otherwise its goodnight for some as the rely on a bit of TV money and BT know that and that's why they want a bargain deal.

BT offering 3K to televise a live meeting is taking the P. Seriously. That is 150 people through the turnstiles at normal prices and 300 at a tenner. Clubs could easily lose 300 for a bt meeting meaning they are seriously out of pocket. No wonder some are not happy. Cant say I blame the promoters to be honest. BT can offer more and should offer more.

BSPA would make a stack load more money going ppv online with a fiver a meeting to watch the feed. Plus they can still charge £17 entry.

I should imagine 10,000 a meeting would be a fairer price for gp riders and a tenner entry.

Agree and disagree here

Shouldn't pay more just because they can, bspa are responsible for adding value to get more

But £3k offer from BT demanding GP riders is ok for a one off meeting won't cover a full season and clubs will only get 2-3 live meetings max

Not sure if speedway will get more on PPV, I done a free stream once with ex UFC athletes worldwide stream reached six figures including royalty in Saudi Arabia

I know other shows who charged £6.99 and they got less than 100/150 buys

Speedway demographic is older so unlikely they'll get to grips with streaming either plus will fans go out of their way to pay money every week to watch clubs they don't support for £10?

• Like 1

I find it utterly inconceivable that any promoter would turn that deal down. If they do, then speedway in this country is screwed. For the sake of the sport name those who are against this deal,utter, utter delusional idiots.

While BSPA are huffing and puffing to "Big Up" GB Speedway, they must surely be in deep discussion with the other two or three broadcasters eager to televise speedway?

• Like 1

I just wish they'd get a wriggle on so I can cancel due to the price rise without penalty in the set time if there's no coverage :P

• Like 1

Whilst it is imperative that we get TV covering our sport, I can understand why the BSPA are questioning BT's offer. (assuming the above is correct). It would appear from the conditions, that BT have issued, the SGP riders are more important than the sport itself. The negotiators, in stipulating, a minimum of 7 GP riders, obviously believe the sport is only worth watching when these top riders are involved, and therefore have scant regard for the basic excitement, for what the sport is all about.

I am pleased the BSPA haven't sold this sport down the river. It appears the BT want to pull all the strings with little or no cost to themselves. Apart from the GP riders, they are dictating the admission costs, with little regard for problems this would create for the Promoter, They will be picking their meetings to broadcast, and all for a measly £3k a time.

No, we want a TV contract that will benefit the sport, One that would give vital opportunity for non- followers to watch, hoping it generates an interest. One that would get more Sponsors on board giving them more air time, One that would work with our sport to make it great again.. What we don't want is a contract that is all take and no give.....

• Like 4

Agree with the sentiments GRW, but unfortunately 'Beggers cannot be chooses'...

You get to advertise yourself on TV and get paid for the privilege, even if its considered a meagre amount by those who feel they are worth more than that...

British Speedway sadly now finds itself exactly where the last 20 years or so 'head in the sand' operating models and buisness plans have led it to be...

This is a Sport don't forget that has to try and negotiate TV deals with an operating model not even ratified until an AGM!

What sort of negotiation starting point is that with a potential client in business? What can you bring to the table when you basically have no details of what you can provide for your investors?

Imagine dealing with British Speedway after being used to doing TV deals with the Premier League, Uefa, The RFU and the TCCB?.

Amazed BT have offered so much.....😩

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

Personally I think BT need speedway as the summer live sports schedule is very weak .

The TV deal itself seems as good as you will get to me.

What is really needed now is to secure a coverage sponsor that would bridge any financial gap.