British Speedway Forum
Mark

Bt Sport Coverage

care to put your 7 together without getting shut of the reassessed averages, I have already stated I didn't know what MJ last UK average was

Depends on the classification of GP riders. 2017/2018??

There aren't 7.

Fricke, Masters, Tungate, Kurtz have all ridden in a GP in 2017. They aren't GP riders tho.

The BSPA have messed the deal up by making up the 1 over 8 rule and no chance of those who might be interested in coming back.

• Like 2

Depends on the classification of GP riders. 2017/2018??

There aren't 7.

Fricke, Masters, Tungate, Kurtz have all ridden in a GP in 2017. They aren't GP riders tho.

The BSPA have messed the deal up by making up the 1 over 8 rule and no chance of those who might be interested in coming back.

AGREE with that. Why don't the BSPA ever simplify rules rather than over egg the pudding.

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 2

AGREE with that. Why don't the BSPA ever simplify rules rather than over egg the pudding.

Because they always cook in the dark....

I guess you wish to understand what clubs need to do to make ends meet.

Bottom line is deep pockets are needed to bridge the gap because I am sure it will also be harder to attract decent sponsorship due to either having no TV or what looks like skeleton coverage from BT.

My guess is the difference in sponsorship and TV income from 2017 and 2018 will be £150k.

With 2 home and 2 away matches (ignore play offs for moment) then it is around £11k of net income lost per match. If outgoings remain the same as 2017 then clubs will require around 800 extra adults per match (£17 x 800 - 20% VAT) to make ends meet.

As I said deep pockets and that is why I believe clubs will come to the tapes under strength in a bid to cut costs and try to survive the season.

• Like 1

I remember a time in the not so distant past that the AGM press release gave loads of information, made the rules quite clear and easy to understand and by doing so treating the fans with reverence and respect.

Now its as minimal as you can get with more questions than answers!

Do we know when the averages for team building will be available?

So if teams come to the tapes below strength the championship becomes the no.1 league in the country.... Only in speedway

MANY of the Championship sides already look as though they could take on their PL counterparts.

I guess you wish to understand what clubs need to do to make ends meet.

Bottom line is deep pockets are needed to bridge the gap because I am sure it will also be harder to attract decent sponsorship due to either having no TV or what looks like skeleton coverage from BT.

My guess is the difference in sponsorship and TV income from 2017 and 2018 will be £150k.

With 2 home and 2 away matches (ignore play offs for moment) then it is around £11k of net income lost per match. If outgoings remain the same as 2017 then clubs will require around 800 extra adults per match (£17 x 800 - 20% VAT) to make ends meet.

As I said deep pockets and that is why I believe clubs will come to the tapes under strength in a bid to cut costs and try to survive the season.

NOT sure it will be skeleton coverage. If they are prepared to pay the production costs I would anticipate an upgrade over 2016 in that department.

I remember a time in the not so distant past that the AGM press release gave loads of information, made the rules quite clear and easy to understand and by doing so treating the fans with reverence and respect.

Now its as minimal as you can get with more questions than answers!

Do we know when the averages for team building will be available?

WHAT is even more confusing is that different promoters say different things. Agree that the BSPA should have an official spokesman to talk to the media but he or she would need to have just one version of the info at their fingertips. And not come back a couple of days later with a different interpretation.

NOT sure it will be skeleton coverage. If they are prepared to pay the production costs I would anticipate an upgrade over 2016 in that department.

Will this upgrade give them the £150k of extra revenue they need from sponsors?

Like I say it is the elephant in the room and you like many are ignoring it.

Fact is the promoters are right to not accept the BT deal, however from here whatever they do I believe they are in a no win situation and many will struggle to survive if they run as per the current team strength rules.

• Like 1

Fact is the promoters are right to not accept the BT deal, however from here whatever they do I believe they are in a no win situation and many will struggle to survive if they run as per the current team strength rules.

Hardly surprising.

Many of us predicted this over ten years ago. NO business survives by constantly cutting the standard.

Not enough fans.. cut the standard.. fans walk away..

AGM..

AGM..

Not enough fans.. cut the standard.. fans walk away.

Season after season.

Eventually you get to a point where it's just not viable to operate anymore as you can't cut any further.. we're approaching that point.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

WHAT is even more confusing is that different promoters say different things. Agree that the BSPA should have an official spokesman to talk to the media but he or she would need to have just one version of the info at their fingertips. And not come back a couple of days later with a different interpretation.

And that's why the AGM statement should be crystal clear.

It would make it so much easier.

Hardly surprising.

Many of us predicted this over ten years ago. NO business survives by constantly cutting the standard.

AGM..

AGM..

Not enough fans.. cut the standard.. fans walk away.

Season after season.

Eventually you get to a point where it's just not viable to operate anymore as you can't cut any further.. we're approaching that point.

Sorry but I think you are missing the point. Never mind.

JChapman- Its interesting that you mention about the loss of money from the Sky sports contract, I am not saying that clubs didn't make something from this final payment.

However it has to be remembered out of the 128k that BSPA received they had to contribute £8000 per meeting towards BT production costs so if they accept the 2018 deal although they have not got the money coming in for tv rights they are not paying out 8k per meeting so what BT have offered is an improved deal.

If they go down the PPV route it may work but there are going to be some quite significant setup costs to do it correctly if they want to monetise it.

Having been to every track and done extensive site visits for Sky I think there is only possibly BV and Wolverhampton that have required broadband backhaul requirements and Wolves could be losing there's as they are due to be going on an SIS managed Fibre system in January which will not allow video as they will want you to use their broadcast service AnyLive service.

The lack of decent broadband at tracks is why Sky always had to get BT out to install temporary circuits for tv meetings as stadium owners either would not allow Sky to use their service or it didn't exist.

We did trial doing some bits using Live U service which runs over 4G which is fine for static interviews but turns into a blurry mess with fast racing action even if you bind 16 connections together it does not work.

This is also the reason why the betting contract meant each track having a satellite broadband dish erected using RaceTech technology and staffing if I remember correctly each meeting cost £750 to do just for one camera

Edited by flagrag

However it has to be remembered out of the 128k that BSPA received they had to contribute £8000 per meeting towards BT production costs so if they accept the 2018 deal although they have not got the money coming in for tv rights they are not paying out 8k per meeting so what BT have offered is an improved deal.

Do you mean each club received £128k as I can assure you that was not the deal when I was involved?

The elephant in the room that no one is talking about is if the clubs accept the BT offer how will those clubs the bridge the financial gap between the £120k plus they received from sky last season to the £6k they will potentially receive this season.... Plus on top of that two meetings where they will potentially bring in less income as they are being forced to lower their admission to £10?

In my opinion this is what is stopping the clubs signing and I can not say I blame them.

So what happens if they do not accept the TV deal? Well I would hope they have a back up plan for PPV broadcasting, and if they don't then I can see teams starting 4 or 5 points lower than the 42.5 point limit as they look to cut costs, possibly putting two national league riders at reserve.

Shame all of this wasn't thought through prior to AGM. Hindsight was not required, just some business acumen.

Critics posting on here do not know the ins and outs of the BSPA negotiations - but looking at it from afar can only , if we are being kind say the BSPA lack much business acumen and others can only sit here rocking with laughter and mocking their apparently Keystone Cops ineptitude. As I do. Where is THE Deal Machine ( Mr Russell ) in all this, is he doing the negotiations? If not who is the promoter/ s entrusted with it? Even less clarity than usual. If Promoters run speedway as their toy then none of this matters because if the BT negotiations break down - the BSPA will be able to say " Huh, we saw them off" .

It must be hard to negotiate when you don't know what you can bring to the table. .

'IF' BT want GP riders then surely the BSPA knew that before the AGM yet then brought out this '9 pt' assessed average for those GP riders not riding over here last season, thus reducing the chances of getting these riders..

'IF' they didn't know BT wanted GP riders then why make decisions at the AGM which may then hinder any subsequent TV negotiations without finding out first what BT wanted?

Doesn't look very professional either way does it?

Nor does the year on year 'drip fed' extras that come out of the AGM, ie those little caveats that don't get announced in the Press release but fundamentally impact its operating model. This years examples (so far) are the 9pt reassessed averages and the change to the 'two Brits' rule..

Again the way these things come out often appears unprofessional as people find out via 'talk ins' or third party publicly aired info by 'in the know' random individuals rather than official press releases...

BT deal with proper professional Sports governing bodies on an almost daily basis I should imagine..

I would also imagine that their level of financial package for any Sport will also be reflective in some part by how they perceive the level of Professionalism of the organisation they are dealing with..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 6