British Speedway Forum
Mark

Bt Sport Coverage

Talking of TV deals. I seem to recall back in the 70s (could have been early 80s). Anglia TV covered a few meetings around the region. Ipswich Kings Lynn Mildenhall. Don't think they were shown live though. Seem to think it was a young Steve Ryder presenting.

Anyone remember this ? And why?

Edited by semion

Talking of TV deals. I seem to recall back in the 70s (could have been early 80s). Anglia TV covered a few meetings around the region. Ipswich Kings Lynn Mildenhall. Don't think they were shown live though. Seem to think it was a young Steve Ryder presenting.

Remember it well. Called Wheels, at least I think it was, and broadcast about 1030 in the evening, can't remember which day of the week tho.

• Like 1

and Derek Thompson, 10.30pm on Thursdays

The Anglia programme was originally just Speedway with meetings from Ipswich, Kings Lynn, Mildenhall Rye house, Milton Keynes

and Peterborough. The programme Wheels was split between Speedway, Stock Car, Truck Racing and Scrambles and I think there was more also The original series was indeed compared by Steve Rider and when he left Richard Keyes took over and went on to host Sky sports football. I still have all their recordings on video from 1977 with riders like John Louis. Billy Sanders, etc

• Like 1

The Anglia programme was originally just Speedway with meetings from Ipswich, Kings Lynn, Mildenhall Rye house, Milton Keynes

and Peterborough. The programme Wheels was split between Speedway, Stock Car, Truck Racing and Scrambles and I think there was more also The original series was indeed compared by Steve Rider and when he left Richard Keyes took over and went on to host Sky sports football. I still have all their recordings on video from 1977 with riders like John Louis. Billy Sanders, etc[/quote

Mick that must be so interesting. Are those meetings available on You Tube ? Great memories. Micheal Lee on an upward curve at tha point I would guess.

and Peterborough. The programme Wheels was split between Speedway, Stock Car, Truck Racing and Scrambles and I think there was more also The original series was indeed compared by Steve Rider and when he left Richard Keyes took over and went on to host Sky sports football. I still have all their recordings on video from 1977 with riders like John Louis. Billy Sanders, etc[/quote

Mick that must be so interesting. Are those meetings available on You Tube ? Great memories. Micheal Lee on an upward curve at tha point I would guess.

I remember the meetings from East Anglia on Anglian TV if I remember rightly. I got up at the crack of dawn so struggled to watch them as so late and this was before video being c 77 / 78 / 79 . Lived at Braintree Essex at the time . Remember Steve Rider presenting.

Wasn't it called Match of the Week and yes on Thursdays ....

and Derek Thompson, 10.30pm on Thursdays

You're right about 10.30 on a Thursday but the other presenter was Gerry Harrison, not Derek Thompson!!..There may have been lots of horsepower in evidence on the shows but none of them were actual horses!! :)

I remember the meetings from East Anglia on Anglian TV if I remember rightly. I got up at the crack of dawn so struggled to watch them as so late and this was before video being c 77 / 78 / 79 . Lived at Braintree Essex at the time . Remember Steve Rider presenting.

The shows ran for a few years and were on in the late 80's/possibly early 90's and were most definitely video recordable as I recorded all the Stock Car ones (wasn't interested in the speedway ones back then!)

Wasn't it called Match of the Week and yes on Thursdays ....

It was indeed and what was odd about it was they used to film Milton Keynes and Rye House neither of them were in the Anglia region

It was indeed and what was odd about it was they used to film Milton Keynes and Rye House neither of them were in the Anglia region

It was called "Wheels" not "Match of the Week"!!!!!....that was the Anglia weekly football programme!.

Milton Keynes has always featured prominently in the "About Anglia" regional news programme we get every day so i am sure they DO count it as being in the Anglia region :)

You're right about 10.30 on a Thursday but the other presenter was Gerry Harrison, not Derek Thompson!!..There may have been lots of horsepower in evidence on the shows but none of them were actual horses!! :)

The shows ran for a few years and were on in the late 80's/possibly early 90's and were most definitely video recordable as I recorded all the Stock Car ones (wasn't interested in the speedway ones back then!)

Were on in late 70s for sure . Remember the music .

With Mick having it on all video, let's hope it's VHS and not Betamax or Phillips 2000 😂. Maybe we could tempt him to have a sneaky week and give us the run down on what it was called what the line-ups were and any other info that he feels might be of interest.

Were on in late 70s for sure . Remember the music .

NOPE!!!....sorry but the programmes we are talking about here called "Wheels" and presented by Ryder, Keys and Harrison were DEFINITELY not on in the 70's. Perhaps though there was another programme on Anglia TV that showed speedway in the 70's?

I phoned Bt today to cancel my subscription for their sports programmes as I do not think there will de much Speedway on their channels next year. They asked me why I wanted to cancel (£28.00 per month) and I said I only watched it for the Speedway. They told me that will be covering League speedway , The world cup and the Grand Prixs. When Sky were presenting Speedway 2 years ago there were 12 GP's around 18 league matches and 4 wtc meetings Now we are talking one less GP and no WTC and perhaps 11 league meetings which is a decline of around 30%.

As my year 12 month contract is not up until 23 April I could not cancel it until February But why should I have to cancel a contract that will end on April. If a take out car insurance for one year it automatically ends on the last day of the contract .I do not have to phone then to say I wish to cancel

This seems to be a complete con throughout the communication industry What right have they to charge you once your contract is up

• Like 1