British Speedway Forum
Mark

Bt Sport Coverage

I phoned Bt today to cancel my subscription for their sports programmes as I do not think there will de much Speedway on their channels next year. They asked me why I wanted to cancel (£28.00 per month) and I said I only watched it for the Speedway. They told me that will be covering League speedway , The world cup and the Grand Prixs. When Sky were presenting Speedway 2 years ago there were 12 GP's around 18 league matches and 4 wtc meetings Now we are talking one less GP and no WTC and perhaps 11 league meetings which is a decline of around 30%.

As my year 12 month contract is not up until 23 April I could not cancel it until February But why should I have to cancel a contract that will end on April. If a take out car insurance for one year it automatically ends on the last day of the contract .I do not have to phone then to say I wish to cancel

This seems to be a complete con throughout the communication industry What right have they to charge you once your contract is up

no world cup next year new competition they got that wrong
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure premier sports automatically renew unless you phone them and cancel

It wonderful to go back in time to our glorious Golden Helmut memories when this sport really was that good. It's such a shame the people in charge didn't understand, or appreciate just how good it really was. They imagined it was always going to be like this, and therefore done nothing positive to safeguard it. Fans would flock up in their thousands to be excited and entertained for the full evening, at a price most could afford. How things have changed.....

Knowing Terry Betts, like I did, he would purchase a new bike each year and use the previous years bike as a second. He would transport his bikes to each of the 60 meetings he raced. After each meeting he would hose the bikes down, oil the chain and it was ready to go again. he would probably have a new Chain and Tyres once a month. Dressed in his black leathers, he always looked the part and seldom did he let anyone down. Mr Reliable he was called and always figured in the scores... A true Captain who was forever smiling, always shaking hands and having his picture taken, never complaining of his adulation he received. The race times were much slower then, but the races were just as exciting

How the sport has changed. Now the top riders want 20 bikes, all highly expensively tuned, they have a entourage of full time mechanics and helpers with brand new vans to ferry the bikes to the next meeting. Riders use high quality cars to the many countries they ride. The travel more air miles in a month than most of us do in a year. , and it all comes at a cost. Where once the 'Terry Betts' was seen as the bread and butter of our sport, now we can't finance their existence.

Once the Promoter was the be-all of everything within the sport, Now its the riders that hold all the aces. Place on a pedestal by their TV exposure. The sport is being blackmailed by their excessive demands. Those glory days of the 70's and 80's will never return, all we have left is a few die hard fans stubborn in their resistance to let go, watching ultra fast bikes on gate and go tracks. The races today may be super fast, but as far as excitement and the atmosphere go, they are worlds apart......

• Like 3

In reply to 635 by mickthemuppet.......

Its the same with mobile phone contract when you pay monthly for a phone and simm usually 2 years. At the end of 2 years you will have finished paying for the phone, so the monthly payment should drop accordingly. But they dont auto drop the monthly price, they will be happy if you forgot about it, their quids in. The laws need changing such that it automatically drops or they have to contact you the contract is finished and do you want to continue (at a vastly reduced rate).

My advice, dont ever take out a monthly contract with a free phone - nothing is free. Buy the phone of your choice at the best deal you can get, then contract a sim to suit your personal use,, again at the best deal you can. You will be quids in at the end of what would have been a 2 year contract.

Edited by OveFundinFan

NOPE!!!....sorry but the programmes we are talking about here called "Wheels" and presented by Ryder, Keys and Harrison were DEFINITELY not on in the 70's. Perhaps though there was another programme on Anglia TV that showed speedway in the 70's?

Can't answer on other period but were 100 % in period i said but then I didn't get Anglia after moved in 1980 so probably carried on broadcasting the programme , they were pretty good , sad nothing like it now. The Witches were ruling the roost when I watched them .

It wonderful to go back in time to our glorious Golden Helmut memories when this sport really was that good. It's such a shame the people in charge didn't understand, or appreciate just how good it really was. They imagined it was always going to be like this, and therefore done nothing positive to safeguard it. Fans would flock up in their thousands to be excited and entertained for the full evening, at a price most could afford. How things have changed.....

Knowing Terry Betts, like I did, he would purchase a new bike each year and use the previous years bike as a second. He would transport his bikes to each of the 60 meetings he raced. After each meeting he would hose the bikes down, oil the chain and it was ready to go again. he would probably have a new Chain and Tyres once a month. Dressed in his black leathers, he always looked the part and seldom did he let anyone down. Mr Reliable he was called and always figured in the scores... A true Captain who was forever smiling, always shaking hands and having his picture taken, never complaining of his adulation he received. The race times were much slower then, but the races were just as exciting

How the sport has changed. Now the top riders want 20 bikes, all highly expensively tuned, they have a entourage of full time mechanics and helpers with brand new vans to ferry the bikes to the next meeting. Riders use high quality cars to the many countries they ride. The travel more air miles in a month than most of us do in a year. , and it all comes at a cost. Where once the 'Terry Betts' was seen as the bread and butter of our sport, now we can't finance their existence.

Once the Promoter was the be-all of everything within the sport, Now its the riders that hold all the aces. Place on a pedestal by their TV exposure. The sport is being blackmailed by their excessive demands. Those glory days of the 70's and 80's will never return, all we have left is a few die hard fans stubborn in their resistance to let go, watching ultra fast bikes on gate and go tracks. The races today may be super fast, but as far as excitement and the atmosphere go, they are worlds apart......

Couldn't agree more , they were halcyon days and was just lucky I got to see them . As a Hackney fan always enjoyed my trips to the Lynn in 70s and early 80s , great fans too. Bettsy as you say was always good value , Barry Thomas another typical rider 100% everywhere . Bengt Jansson and Terry Betts had many a good and close race at the Wick . Was there the night Mike Lee returned home there after winning World final , he was incredible and the place was buzzing. Saw the Pride of the East there in 1992 won by Henka Gustafson , what a rider !! Overtook Hans Neilson round the boards in the final if I remember rightly.

• Like 2

I phoned Bt today to cancel my subscription for their sports programmes as I do not think there will de much Speedway on their channels next year. They asked me why I wanted to cancel (£28.00 per month) and I said I only watched it for the Speedway. They told me that will be covering League speedway , The world cup and the Grand Prixs. When Sky were presenting Speedway 2 years ago there were 12 GP's around 18 league matches and 4 wtc meetings Now we are talking one less GP and no WTC and perhaps 11 league meetings which is a decline of around 30%.

As my year 12 month contract is not up until 23 April I could not cancel it until February But why should I have to cancel a contract that will end on April. If a take out car insurance for one year it automatically ends on the last day of the contract .I do not have to phone then to say I wish to cancel

This seems to be a complete con throughout the communication industry What right have they to charge you once your contract is up

You can cancel early without penalty - because they are putting their prices up and you can decline this (according to an email I received from them)

• Like 1

BT are struggling due to their price increases so can't see them offering anymore

Bspa should be talking to them, sky, ITV4, discovery, and developing their own stream channel

I'm pretty sure premier sports automatically renew unless you phone them and cancel

You can e-mail them if you do not wish to go through the hassle of dealing with call centres.

Thanks for that RS50 il do that , saves them trying to get me to renew by offering a deal. It was only £25 for 12 months but I didn't really enjoy the coverage

There has to come sometime in the future that you can just pay for the programme you want to watch and not take programmes that you have no interest in .You already have Box Office for films which you can pay extra for . The same applies to WWE wrestling big events and pay to view fight nights. So why not for Speedway Grand Prix's

I now have no interest in Football now due to the overkill Last night BT had the champions league on live. Not one match but three. After all you can only watch one of those matches.at a time

When I cancel I will never renew again and will have no problem watching live streams on the internet or on Mobdro

I found that many GP's are on YouTube almost as soon as they have finished

Eventually Sky and BT will have to change their pricing policies otherwise they face very serious problems in the very near future

Also BT offering a pittance of £3000 to televise a live Speedway match in UK is just a joke and should be chucked out without a second thought. That means for the cost of one live football match would be the same cost as showing live Speedway for the next ten years

Same as me, I'm cancelling sky sports in a couple of weeks when my deals up. £300 saved I think. And cancelling BT sport when that's up and watching the gps when they appear on you tube

• Like 1

i joined BT early March this year. Whilst I had the BT app and could watch the first 5 gps on my mobile phone casr to a TV (not good viewing) it was early August when broadband went live, telephone SIX weeks later (BT engineer fault). Not happy at that point, not been offered any compensation, To top it all, I find my latest bill had £129.99 on it for engineer to fix the fault (highlighted earlier). When fast fibre was fitted Aug 2nd, the engineer put the my telephone into the wrong connection point - BT admitted their fault and that I wouldnt pay for it, but there it is on the invoice. Too many BT errors/delays etc. With the price increase BT announced I could leave, but other suppliers cant offer fast fibre yet (Im running 52mbps, others can offer me 1-2mbps). Seems when BT move into an area with fast fibre they keep hold of it for 6 months I am told. Any one else experienced that.

If I can get fast fibre from another supplier in March when my 12 mot=nth contract is up I will be ditching BT, that will be the 2nd time in 6 years, and probably the last time. Why keep putting up with poor service.

i joined BT early March this year. Whilst I had the BT app and could watch the first 5 gps on my mobile phone casr to a TV (not good viewing) it was early August when broadband went live, telephone SIX weeks later (BT engineer fault). Not happy at that point, not been offered any compensation, To top it all, I find my latest bill had £129.99 on it for engineer to fix the fault (highlighted earlier). When fast fibre was fitted Aug 2nd, the engineer put the my telephone into the wrong connection point - BT admitted their fault and that I wouldnt pay for it, but there it is on the invoice. Too many BT errors/delays etc. With the price increase BT announced I could leave, but other suppliers cant offer fast fibre yet (Im running 52mbps, others can offer me 1-2mbps). Seems when BT move into an area with fast fibre they keep hold of it for 6 months I am told. Any one else experienced that.

If I can get fast fibre from another supplier in March when my 12 mot=nth contract is up I will be ditching BT, that will be the 2nd time in 6 years, and probably the last time. Why keep putting up with poor service.

Are you in a Virgin area,if you are then you can get the E/L bundle which includes BT sport, I pay 64.50p per month and have Phone, free calls all weekend, broadband (100MB) E/L TV bundle which includes all BT Sports channels.

• Like 1

Virgin miles away from us. I am surprised that we got fast fibre, couldnt believe it when talking to Openreach engineers showed me the gubbins in a box in the ground. We are about 1.5 mile from the nearest green box, and the last cluster of homes from the Chester cabling down the main road.

Just got Plusnet unlimited fibre & line rental £22.99 a month & Plusnet TV £5 a month. Eurosport, BT sport 1 & Freesports included as standard & then I'll be adding the remaining BT sport channels for May - Oct only, which will be just £5 extra in those months.

Edited by Noodles
  • Like 1