British Speedway Forum
Mark

Bt Sport Coverage

18 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Sky may not be showing speedway anymore..but at least they are showing the massively watched ping pong.  

Is that like table tennis or is there any difference?

18 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Sky may not be showing speedway anymore..but at least they are showing the massively watched ping pong.  

The ping-pong championship is one weekend per year, and shown by Sky since 2012.  It is very cheap to produce as it uses an IP workflow, with seven cameras on site with everything sent through a BT fibre connection to Sky's headquarters where all the production takes place.  So it does not need a full outside broadcast unit to produce the coverage on-site.  It is indoors so not affected by the weather.  And is included as part of a package of rights from Matchroom Sports alongside various sports including basketball, gymnastics, and golf rather than bought separately.

I don't know if there is any difference...it looks the same to me...Maybe the bats..as it's the world championship and they are all using a sandpaper bat.

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

I don't know if there is any difference...it looks the same to me...Maybe the bats..as it's the world championship and they are all using a sandpaper bat.

I think thats it.

So someone just needs to introduce an upright 2 valve championship for speedway.....

They do indeed play with sandpaper bats and use an orange ball.there is also a white ball that they can use once that scores double points that can be used at anytime. . They got the idea watching speedway

And the men can play against women.   I've enjoyed watching it.. .winter Olympics starts soon..plenty of good extreme sports on show.  And currently the winter extreme games are on...far more interesting than any speedway league meeting.

I wonder if a speedway snow season has ever been thought of.

Edited by Baldyman

34 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

I wonder if a speedway snow season has ever been thought of.

Telford?

That's indoor on ice ..I was thinking outdoor on snow.. Obviously it would have to be abroad where there is snow. 

I've seen riders practice in the snow..so it must be possible

Edited by Baldyman

29 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

That's indoor on ice ..I was thinking outdoor on snow.. Obviously it would have to be abroad where there is snow. 

I've seen riders practice in the snow..so it must be possible

I saw video many years ago of them racing regular speedway bikes around a speedway track whilst it was covered in snow...I think it was from Ukraine but could have been Russia.

Edited by HenryW

7 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

They do indeed play with sandpaper bats and use an orange ball.there is also a white ball that they can use once that scores double points that can be used at anytime. . They got the idea watching speedway

Yes they use these bats instead of the traditional rubber bats....

It's a Matchroom event created and promoted by them...Barry Hearn knows how to promote and get events on TV...what would speedway do for a figure like that..

Speedway wouldn't do anything for a figure like that..there is too much self interest...hence the state it's in now.  

They should have let John Berry run it whilst he was alive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a call tonight from BT asking if I wanted to renew my BT Sport contract (on my Sky box) for the next 12 months. Because I have a BT phone line, and BT Broadband I had  a special deal last year, with 6 months free before I was billed. I explained to the rep, I had only taken BT Sport last year because of their coverage of Speedway, and at this moment in time, I had not heard if BT were covering it again in 2018, and therefore didn't want to commit, if they were not going to screen Speedway in 2018. The rep said he would go and speak to his Manager. A couple of minutes later he came back, and told me the BT Sport contract covered Speedway until the 7th February 2019. I still have until 27th of February to make up my mind, and get a further discount, but haven't heard anything officially via the BSPA web site, so I'm going to hold on for now, just in case it was a sales ploy to get me to renew!

Any thoughts on this guys? Has anybody else had a similar call from BT?

They are covering Speedway (the GP's) maybe that is the contract they were referring to?

• Like 1